    measekite Guest

    Has anybody use Cokin filter frames and the multitude of filters they
    have. What are your experiences?
    measekite, Jan 28, 2009

  2. measekite

    nick c Guest

    measekite wrote:
    > Has anybody use Cokin filter frames and the multitude of filters they
    > have. What are your experiences?

    I often use Graduated Cokin filters to adjust the photographic light
    range of a scene that is beyond the cameras dynamic range. Depending
    upon the lens type being used, I may hand hold the filter against the
    lens or use a filter holder frame. I very rarely use a variety or
    multiples of Cokin filters.

    I have yet to encounter a problem that would cause me to discontinue
    such a useful practice carried over from past times when I once shot
    film. FWIW, I consider the use of Graduated filters to be in the same
    league as using Polarized filters; each being used to their best
    advantage.
    nick c, Jan 28, 2009

  3. measekite

    measekite Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 05:58:04 +0000, nick c wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >> Has anybody use Cokin filter frames and the multitude of filters they
    >> have. What are your experiences?

    > I often use Graduated Cokin filters to adjust the photographic light
    > range of a scene that is beyond the cameras dynamic range. Depending
    > upon the lens type being used, I may hand hold the filter against the
    > lens or use a filter holder frame. I very rarely use a variety or
    > multiples of Cokin filters.

    Why do you choose not to do that?

    measekite, Jan 28, 2009
  4. measekite

    nick c Guest

    measekite wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 05:58:04 +0000, nick c wrote:
    >
    >> measekite wrote:
    >>> Has anybody use Cokin filter frames and the multitude of filters they
    >>> have. What are your experiences?

    >> I often use Graduated Cokin filters to adjust the photographic light
    >> range of a scene that is beyond the cameras dynamic range. Depending
    >> upon the lens type being used, I may hand hold the filter against the
    >> lens or use a filter holder frame. I very rarely use a variety or
    >> multiples of Cokin filters.

    > Why do you choose not to do that?

    My reasons are many. But to the point, I am neither inclined to be
    artsy-finicky or to spend more time doing setups than I do for picture
    composition or quickly capturing an appealing scene.

    As a matter of personal taste, I prefer to use screw-in type full
    Neutral Density Grey filters when capturing scenes that are brightly
    lit architectural or basically mason in nature. Why? To reduce light
    brightness so as to increase picture/subject detail and 'cause I like
    and much prefer to use lens matched hoods to reduce bounce light. A
    point I wish to make is I basically use Cokin Graduated Neutral
    Density filters when I feel it necessary to do so to *balance* scenic
    light, not that I prefer the use of Cokin filters.

    Having said the above, you may question using a polarized filter when
    having to decide when to use a polarized filter as opposed to using a
    neutral density filter. There are times when using a polarized filter
    (Cokin or screw-in) may be used in lieu of a neutral density filter
    (Cokin or screw-in). The affect *you* want a filter to have upon a
    captured scene is the determining factor.

    nick c, Jan 28, 2009