    3) What about the quality ot the gradual neutral density filters?
    4) Would it be a better investment to buy the Lee system?

    Thanks in advance.
    Jacques Mercier, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Jacques Mercier

    wavelength Guest

    The P series is 84mmx85mm I think, Unless you have a 12mm with a huge
    front end (which I'm not sure exists) you should be fine.

    Quality of the filter depends on the vendor you buy them from. You get
    what you pay for as always. Cokin and Singh Ray get pretty high scores
    on this, i think. TIffen and Hightec maybe not.

    This site: http://www.cokin.fr/ico2-p1.html
    Says that you only need the Z and X for medium and large format wide
    angle.

    Still, it would be good to check with someone who has direct
    experience.
    wavelength, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Jacques Mercier

    Hunt Guest

    In article <7hJQe.4187$>,
    says...

    >I am now using a Nikon D70 with the 18-70 zoom. I am thinking about buying
    >the Cokin system specially for the gradual neutral density filters. I was
    >considering buying the P series but am now wondering if it would not be
    >preferable to buy the Z pro to insure against vignetting.
    >I have a few questions:
    >1) Any of you are using the Cokin?
    >2) The P or Z pro?
    >3) What about the quality ot the gradual neutral density filters?
    >4) Would it be a better investment to buy the Lee system?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    First, I've used the Cokin for 2.25 Sq and 4x5 for decades, and they have paid
    for themselves several dozen times over. Next, get the largest series that you
    can, as you WILL get a lens that requires them, even if you don't own one now.
    No sense in having to dupe everything in a larger size later. Last, one caveat
    - the filters work best at wider apertures, and for landscapes, and similar
    subjects, smaller apertures usually yield the DOF that one will want. Be
    careful, when using the gradients at smaller apertures, as they will not look
    so linear, as you might want. Study these closely with a loupe on the monitor,
    before you go for it. Doing the "gradient" work in PS might prove to be a
    better solution.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Aug 30, 2005