Cokefridge WMA to MP3

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damos, Aug 17, 2005.

  1. Damos

    Damos Guest

    I see there is finaly a site in nz for downloading legal files. However my
    player doesn't support DRM
    so..... there's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in another
    format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???

    My audiology card has an option to record current sound output. I use to
    use it to record real streams as MP3.

    Ethics aside that is.....

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

    Carl Sagan.
    Damos, Aug 17, 2005

  2. On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:36:50 +1200, Damos wrote:

    > I see there is finaly a site in nz for downloading legal files. However my
    > player doesn't support DRM
    > so..... there's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    > format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in another
    > format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???
    >
    > My audiology card has an option to record current sound output. I use to
    > use it to record real streams as MP3.
    >
    > Ethics aside that is.....

    Looks like they just want ya to download off piratebay if you ask me.
    wogers nemesis, Aug 17, 2005

  3. Damos

    Richard Guest

    Damos wrote:
    > I see there is finaly a site in nz for downloading legal files. However
    > my player doesn't support DRM
    > so..... there's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    > format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in another
    > format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???
    >
    > My audiology card has an option to record current sound output. I use
    > to use it to record real streams as MP3.
    >
    > Ethics aside that is.....

    Only that WMA at low bitrates is bad enough, add another level of lossy
    compression and it will be even worse.

    I havent bought any from there as its a pain in the ass to have to register and
    they want me to use IE for it. May do so soon just to test it out but I doubt
    they will be taking my business away from other sources of lossless music.
    Richard, Aug 17, 2005
  4. Damos wrote:
    > I see there is finaly a site in nz for downloading legal files. However
    > my player doesn't support DRM
    > so..... there's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    > format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in another
    > format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???
    >
    > My audiology card has an option to record current sound output. I use
    > to use it to record real streams as MP3.
    >
    > Ethics aside that is.....

    it depends... some DRM cuts that sort of hardware out of the loop,
    making recording of the current sound impossible... although I guess
    theres nothihng stopping you from using something like a loop from
    speaker out to aux in or similar, and running a recorder like cooledit
    or something, although I'm not sure what sort of sound quality you would
    get.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 17, 2005
  5. Damos

    Damos Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 06:14:32 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    > Damos wrote:
    >> I see there is finaly a site in nz for downloading legal files. However
    >> my player doesn't support DRM
    >> so..... there's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    >> format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in
    >> another format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???
    >> My audiology card has an option to record current sound output. I use
    >> to use it to record real streams as MP3.
    >> Ethics aside that is.....

    > Only that WMA at low bitrates is bad enough, add another level of lossy
    > compression and it will be even worse.
    >
    > I havent bought any from there as its a pain in the ass to have to
    > register and they want me to use IE for it. May do so soon just to test
    > it out but I doubt they will be taking my business away from other
    > sources of lossless music.

    True I'm not considering buying albums because I prefer CD higher quality
    and I can do whatever
    I want with the ripped file.

    The only use I'll have for such a site is to create the odd compilation cd
    where I dont want to
    buy whole album's for one track...

    D.

    Damos, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Damos

    Richard Guest

    Damos wrote:

    > True I'm not considering buying albums because I prefer CD higher
    > quality and I can do whatever
    > I want with the ripped file.
    >
    > The only use I'll have for such a site is to create the odd compilation
    > cd where I dont want to
    > buy whole album's for one track...

    Well I suppose you _could_ buy the CDs if you like...
    Richard, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Damos

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:36:50 +1200, Damos <> wrote:

    >I see there is finaly a site in nz for downloading legal files. However my
    >player doesn't support DRM
    >so..... there's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    >format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in another
    >format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???
    >
    >My audiology card has an option to record current sound output. I use to
    >use it to record real streams as MP3.
    >
    >Ethics aside that is.....

    I have been buying wma's from digirama for some time now. Their advise
    for iPod users etc is to record it to a music CD then rip it to mp3
    from there.

    I am quite happy with the wma quality but I dont know what effect
    allthe format changes would have on that. My creative handles the
    wma's nativly so I dont need to do any of this.

    Bruce.
    Bruce Knox, Aug 18, 2005
  8. Damos

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Damos <> wrote in news:eek:p.svm8voy02an4t6@orac-andrew:

    > here's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    > format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in another
    > format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???

    It is your music. Don't share it.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 18, 2005
  9. Damos

    matt Guest

    why buy an album for $18 when u can get a cd from warehouse for $23 ,
    already burnt and with printed cd and glossy cover on case

    people must be mad. maybe good if u want the odd track of nz music u cant
    get from the likes of kaaza, winmx

    matt, Aug 18, 2005
  10. Damos

    Richard Guest

    matt wrote:
    > why buy an album for $18 when u can get a cd from warehouse for $23 ,
    > already burnt and with printed cd and glossy cover on case
    >
    > people must be mad. maybe good if u want the odd track of nz music u cant
    > get from the likes of kaaza, winmx

    Not only that, when you get it from kazaa/winmx or where ever, you can actually
    use it, burn it to a disc for in the car, or whatever, not so with the paid
    tracks that are crippled.
    Richard, Aug 18, 2005
  11. Damos

    NewsDroid Guest

    In article <>, Richard <>
    wrote:

    > > Ethics aside that is.....

    > Only that WMA at low bitrates is bad enough, add another level of lossy
    > compression and it will be even worse.

    That's one big advantage of CDs, they're AIFF, fairly lossless.
    (Although some gold-plated eardrums will disagree)

    Best deal is to buy a CD from certain retailers who will cheerfully
    trade it in an hour later for reasonably good prices.

    --
    .....NewsDroid
    NewsDroid, Aug 18, 2005
  12. Damos

    Richard Guest

    NewsDroid wrote:

    > That's one big advantage of CDs, they're AIFF, fairly lossless.
    > (Although some gold-plated eardrums will disagree)
    >
    > Best deal is to buy a CD from certain retailers who will cheerfully
    > trade it in an hour later for reasonably good prices.

    Who would that be? Im not aware of anywhere the sells at good prices and pays
    good prices for CDs eh.
    Richard, Aug 18, 2005
  13. Damos

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:20:39 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Damos <> wrote in news:eek:p.svm8voy02an4t6@orac-andrew:
    >
    >> here's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    >> format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in another
    >> format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???
    >>

    > It is your music. Don't share it.

    Okay, but I wish to play it here, there any some place else for my ears
    only.

    Must see if my ears are DRM'd
    Gordon, Aug 19, 2005
  14. Damos

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:24:44 +1200, Damos wrote:

    > The only use I'll have for such a site is to create the odd compilation cd
    > where I dont want to
    > buy whole album's for one track...

    Have you heard all the other tracks?

    There are many CDs I have purchased which after a good listening to, have
    many non singles on them.
    Gordon, Aug 19, 2005
  15. Damos

    David Guest

    Bruce Knox wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:36:50 +1200, Damos <> wrote:
    >

    >>I see there is finaly a site in nz for downloading legal files. However my
    >>player doesn't support DRM
    >>so..... there's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    >>format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in another
    >>format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???
    >>
    >>My audiology card has an option to record current sound output. I use to
    >>use it to record real streams as MP3.
    >>
    >>Ethics aside that is.....

    > I have been buying wma's from digirama for some time now. Their advise
    > for iPod users etc is to record it to a music CD then rip it to mp3
    > from there.
    >
    > I am quite happy with the wma quality but I dont know what effect
    > allthe format changes would have on that. My creative handles the
    > wma's nativly so I dont need to do any of this.
    >
    > Bruce.

    Thats the most stupid idea i've ever heard. Not only is it a waste of
    CDRs but with their awful 128kbps WMAs you will get awful quality. I
    have found the best way to un DRM WMAs (mine were lossless WMA, so loss
    of quality converting to MP3 wasnt an issue) was to use the WMP plugin
    that came with a recent version of nero, which pretended to be a
    portable device in WMP, but let you burn the files to CD, or to a CD
    image. So i just made the images then ripped them with Daemon-tools.
    David, Aug 20, 2005
  16. Damos

    David Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > matt wrote:
    >
    >> why buy an album for $18 when u can get a cd from warehouse for $23 ,
    >> already burnt and with printed cd and glossy cover on case
    >>
    >> people must be mad. maybe good if u want the odd track of nz music u
    >> cant
    >> get from the likes of kaaza, winmx

    > Not only that, when you get it from kazaa/winmx or where ever, you can
    > actually use it, burn it to a disc for in the car, or whatever, not so
    > with the paid tracks that are crippled.

    And with torrents etc. you can get mp3s from the leet release groups,
    which garuntees you good quality (LAME MP3, ~256k VBR).
    David, Aug 20, 2005
  17. Damos

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:40:48 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >matt wrote:
    >> why buy an album for $18 when u can get a cd from warehouse for $23 ,
    >> already burnt and with printed cd and glossy cover on case
    >>
    >> people must be mad. maybe good if u want the odd track of nz music u cant
    >> get from the likes of kaaza, winmx

    >Not only that, when you get it from kazaa/winmx or where ever, you can actually
    >use it, burn it to a disc for in the car, or whatever, not so with the paid
    >tracks that are crippled.

    I think you miss the point.

    My slightly confused 85 yr old mother has just been defrauded of at
    least $30,000 by scumbags pretending to do work for her. I rate people
    who download music without paying for it just very slightly above
    those people.

    If you dont pay* for it dont listen to it.

    *pay may include enduring commercials if listening to radio etc.

    Bruce.
    Bruce Knox, Aug 20, 2005
  18. Damos

    shannon Guest

    Bruce Knox wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:40:48 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >

    >>matt wrote:
    >>
    >>>why buy an album for $18 when u can get a cd from warehouse for $23 ,
    >>>already burnt and with printed cd and glossy cover on case
    >>>
    >>>people must be mad. maybe good if u want the odd track of nz music u cant
    >>>get from the likes of kaaza, winmx

    >>Not only that, when you get it from kazaa/winmx or where ever, you can actually
    >>use it, burn it to a disc for in the car, or whatever, not so with the paid
    >>tracks that are crippled.

    > I think you miss the point.
    >
    > My slightly confused 85 yr old mother has just been defrauded of at
    > least $30,000 by scumbags pretending to do work for her. I rate people
    > who download music without paying for it just very slightly above
    > those people.
    >
    > If you dont pay* for it dont listen to it.
    >
    > *pay may include enduring commercials if listening to radio etc.
    >
    > Bruce.

    I think I'll download something now just to piss you off
    shannon, Aug 20, 2005
  19. Damos

    shannon Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:20:39 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
    >

    >>Damos <> wrote in news:eek:p.svm8voy02an4t6@orac-andrew:
    >>

    >>>here's nothing technically stopping me from purchasing in WMA
    >>>format playing it on the pc and simulataneously recording it in another
    >>>format ogg or mp3 and placing that on my player is there???
    >>>

    >>It is your music. Don't share it.

    > Okay, but I wish to play it here, there any some place else for my ears
    > only.
    >
    > Must see if my ears are DRM'd

    Do they allow sharing ?
    shannon, Aug 21, 2005