coders lend me your ear

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steven H, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
    little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.

    this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
    due to telecom being a pack of pricks.

    However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
    going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.

    :- SNIP

    I am going to propose a shared initiative to the other programmers in
    the group, my experience is in C# thus would prefer other .NET
    programmers (doesn’t matter what language as long as it is a Managed
    Language).

    Here is a run down of what I propose

    Firstly you need a Front end, and a Assembly for each of the ISP's, and
    a shared library that does all the shared kinda stuff.

    All the ISP Assemblys will do is Go to the web page with the given
    credentials and return a Collection which the UI will then render.

    Example

    Library DLLs will have an agreed public interface (C# syntax used here)

    There will need to be a shared Assembly
    Namespace DSLBandwidthMonitor.SHARED {
    public class RecordsCollection : stack {/* This class is a
    Item Controller, don’t need anything fancy so a stack
    Could do the job (at first glance) */}
    public class Record {/* This class is a Collection Item
    Essensailly holding information on Date, International
    & Local numbers */}
    /* Mabye some other shared shit */
    }

    This Assembly (IHUG.DLL) would be used by clients who have IHUG as an
    ISP Its sole pourpose is to get the information, parse it, and return
    it.
    Uses DSLBandwidthMonitor.SHARED;
    Namespace DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve {
    public class IHUG{
    public IHUG(){}
    public RecordsCollection Fetch(string UserName, string Password)
    { /* Goes to IHUG and Pulls down the information, Parses it and Returns
    it, of course will need to act upon possible exceptions generated by
    itself or .SHARED */}
    }}

    This Assembly (XTRA.DLL) would be used by clients who have XTRA as an
    ISP Its sole pourpose is to get the information, parse it, and return
    it.
    Uses DSLBandwidthMonitor.SHARED;
    Namespace DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve {
    public class XTRA{
    public XTRA(){}
    public RecordsCollection Fetch(string UserName, string Password)
    { /* Goes to XTRA and Pulls down the information, Parses it and Returns
    it, of course will need to act upon possible exceptions generated by
    itself or .SHARED */}
    }}

    and your front end Assembly (WinForms)
    Its sole purpose is to display the information, it will need to call the
    right .Retrieve.* class.
    uses DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve;
    Namespace DSLBandwidthMonitor.UI {
    /* Calls DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve.* depending on the ISP being used
    Waits for the information, Displays any exceptions generated
    from .Retrieve or . SHARED and Outputs the retrieved information onto
    a graph
    */
    }

    Reasoning behind the separate DSLBandwidthMonitor.Retrieve.* classes is
    because at any time one of those ISP's can change their web page and
    thus break the application. It allows simple modification (without risk
    of breaking others) and with .NET simple install (Just copy it).

    Reasoning behind using .NET, well its what I know. No installer required
    (just copy it to a directory and run it) - no I am not interested in
    another lame arse language debate.

    I would want to do this in a .NET managed language but if another group
    wants to do this in another language go for it - just organize yourself.

    Time table, we can get the Analysis & Logical Design done in the next
    few weeks and start coding around Christmas holidays time - yes I am a
    firm believer in the SDLC - and documentation (yes that stuff
    programmers are meant to write but never get around to doing so).

    There may be time associated with getting people with various skill
    levels up to speed with modern OOP coding techniques - personally I
    haven’t got a clue how to parse an html table into something useable.

    It is most likely a good idea to host this project at sourceforge.net as
    it can simplify shared code access + it sounds cool ;)

    There of course would be opportunities for individual developers to post
    their source code wherever they want (www.codeproject.com). I would
    prefer this project to stay open source but it will be completely open
    to discussion within the group.

    I do believe however the time has come for such a program for New
    Zealand Jet* customers.

    This is my proposal and it of course is open to changes.

    Email me OTL @ steven [dot] higgan [the@sign] orcon [dot] net [dot] nz
    If you are interested in jumping on board.

    Some of the information I would like:
    Experience, .NET language (C#, Delphi, VB ...), & if you disagree on my
    synopsis of how the project could be put together - your way. Your isp,
    Any other information you would like to add.

    As I said before I m completely open for discussion - feel free to
    repost this email in any forum to get additional developers onboard.
    However, if you post my email address un-fudged I will personally track
    you down and whip your foreskin 1000 times with a cat of nine tails and
    force you to run naked down the streets screaming at the top of your
    lungs "I am free" ;)

    --------------------------------
    Steven H

    Steven H, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Steven H

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:17:22 +1300, Steven H wrote:

    > A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
    > little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
    >
    > this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
    > due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
    >
    > However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
    > going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
    >
    > :- SNIP

    Why the hell does :- SNIP appear here?

    Gordon, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Steven H wrote:
    > A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
    > little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
    >
    > this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
    > due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
    >
    > However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
    > going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.

    -------------------huge SNIP------------------------

    As far as I can see, UsageCheck only needs to have the URL changed and
    re-compiled.
    The page is still there, it's just moved a bit.
    I emailed hin a few months back and he was away/too busy to fix it.

    I don't supose anyone's asked Andrew to 'donate' his code to the ng?

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Russell Smithies wrote:
    > Steven H wrote:
    >> A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
    >> little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
    >>
    >> this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
    >> due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
    >>
    >> However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
    >> going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
    >>

    > -------------------huge SNIP------------------------
    >
    > As far as I can see, UsageCheck only needs to have the URL changed and
    > re-compiled.
    > The page is still there, it's just moved a bit.
    > I emailed hin a few months back and he was away/too busy to fix it.
    >
    > I don't supose anyone's asked Andrew to 'donate' his code to the ng?

    I'll code it. What's the newsgroup's address? I didn't see the original post
    in nz.comp.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>, flash130
    @yahoo.com says...
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:17:22 +1300, Steven H wrote:
    >
    > > A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
    > > little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
    > >
    > > this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
    > > due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
    > >
    > > However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
    > > going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
    > >
    > > :- SNIP

    > Why the hell does :- SNIP appear here?

    ummmm because it is the beginning of what i copied

    Steven H

    Steven H, Oct 14, 2003
  6. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    In article <rCNhb.174760$>,
    z says...
    > Steven H wrote:
    > > A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
    > > little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
    > >
    > > this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
    > > due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
    > >
    > > However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
    > > going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
    > >

    > -------------------huge SNIP------------------------
    >
    > As far as I can see, UsageCheck only needs to have the URL changed and
    > re-compiled.

    which is exactly the reason why we need a program that is maintained not
    just by a single individual but by several.

    > The page is still there, it's just moved a bit.
    > I emailed hin a few months back and he was away/too busy to fix it.

    then dont count on your luck to get it fixed

    Steven H

    Steven H, Oct 14, 2003
  7. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    In article <bmc734$hfu$>,
    says...
    > Russell Smithies wrote:
    > > Steven H wrote:
    > >> A discussion has come up on the NZ ADSL mailing list about a lovely
    > >> little programm that automattically checks your accounts usage.
    > >>
    > >> this replaced a lovely little program that use to work but now doesnt
    > >> due to telecom being a pack of pricks.
    > >>
    > >> However i posted a proposal to get past that little problem that iam
    > >> going to repeat here to drum up some intrest.
    > >>

    > > -------------------huge SNIP------------------------
    > >
    > > As far as I can see, UsageCheck only needs to have the URL changed and
    > > re-compiled.
    > > The page is still there, it's just moved a bit.
    > > I emailed hin a few months back and he was away/too busy to fix it.
    > >
    > > I don't supose anyone's asked Andrew to 'donate' his code to the ng?

    > I'll code it. What's the newsgroup's address? I didn't see the original post
    > in nz.comp.

    http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    &threadm=MPG.19f2206f95055100989765%40news.dun.ihug.co.nz&rnum=1
    &prev=/groups%3Fq%3DCoders%2Blend%2Bme%2Byour%2Bear%2BSteven%2BH%
    2BNZ.COMP%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%
    3DMPG.19f2206f95055100989765%2540news.dun.ihug.co.nz%26rnum%3D1

    holy shit!

    http://tinyurl.com/qtk5

    Steven H

    Steven H, Oct 14, 2003