    file itself was an AVI...I had the sound but no picturer. Can someone please
    explain to me what i need to do to enable me to watch the film......Thxs for
    your time

    stu, Jan 18, 2005

  2. stu

    Ionizer Guest

    "stu" <> wrote in message
    news:41ecd414$0$44093$...
    > Hi all, i have the windows media player 10, everythings up to date, i
    > downloaded a small film last night to watch, but when i tried to play

    it, i
    > got the message that i didn't have the correct codecs to play the film,

    the

    http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/10453.aspx

    --
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jan 18, 2005

  3. stu

    gangle Guest

    "stu" wrote
    > Hi all, i have the windows media player 10, everythings up to date, i
    > downloaded a small film last night to watch, but when i tried to play it, i
    > got the message that i didn't have the correct codecs to play the film, the
    > file itself was an AVI...I had the sound but no picturer. Can someone please
    > explain to me what i need to do to enable me to watch the film......Thxs for
    > your time

    AVI files are Microsoft's invention (Audio Video Interleaving).
    Raw AVI files are so HUGE that the video portion must be
    COMPRESSED; so, all AVI files you will encounter will have
    been compressed using one of many available codecs (short
    for COmpresser-DECompressor). Your Windows Media Player
    (or other players) cannot play the video portion of an AVI
    if the particular codec used to make the AVI has not
    been installed on your computer. Remember the opposite:
    If you download an AVI and the video plays, you must have
    *already* installed the necessary codec.

    To know what codec you are missing at any given time, download
    GSpot, a nifty free program that will tell you. (Drag the AVI in
    question into GSpot, and let it analyze it against your system.)
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html

    Once you know the codec, you can do a Google search to
    see where you can get it.

    gangle, Jan 18, 2005
  4. stu

    stu Guest

    That's for the excellent imformation..

    stu, Jan 18, 2005
  5. stu

    Greg Guest

    It could be a divx avi file. You will need the divx codec in order to see
    it. You can get it here:

    http://www.divx.com/

    Greg, Jan 18, 2005