codec ordering

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. I just upgraded the firmware of my Budgetone-100 to 1.0.50 and noticed
    that it added two new codecs. The problem is the firmware upgrade
    didn't notice that I had factory settings for the codecs and didn't
    want to trash my codec ordering. I'm now left with these two
    unselected:

    ilbc
    g722 wideband

    What ordering are others using to go from best-sounding/most-piggish
    to crappiest-sounding/least-piggish? I'm tempted to do this, but for
    no other reason that my budgetone started with this ordering and I'm
    trying to insert the g722 and ilbc in roughly bandwidth-needed order.

    pcmu (g711u)
    pcma (g711a)
    >>> g722 wideband

    g723
    g729 (a?, b?)
    g726-32 (aka g721)
    g728
    >>> ilbc

    -wolfgang
    New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

    Chris Bintz Guest

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

    > I just upgraded the firmware of my Budgetone-100 to 1.0.50

    Where you get this version, I cannot find this anywhere?

    --
    Chris
    www.citosoft.com

    Chris Bintz, Jun 14, 2004

  3. Chris Bintz <> writes:
    > Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
    >
    > > I just upgraded the firmware of my Budgetone-100 to 1.0.50

    > Where you get this version, I cannot find this anywhere?

    I found it on http://hellofone.com/downloads.html. It appears that
    grandstream hasn't updated their ftp servers in a while but some of
    the guys offering POTS are more on the ball.

    The only new feature I noticed is ring-tones. One of the rings
    (ring2.bin) is kind of cute. It is a recording of an old double-bell
    and clanger phone followed by a text-to-speech synthesizer reading the
    caller number.

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 14, 2004