    Thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 13, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    mario Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I recently downloaded an episode of a TV program that I missed and was
    > unable to find anyone with a video tape of. It is in .avi format and when I
    > play it (WMP 7 I think, not 9 anyway) all I get is sound. I have the DivX
    > (which also have an .avi suffix) codec installed and watch DivX's through
    > WMP. What do I need to install to watch this proggy?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Run the avi file thru GSpot to find out which codec are missing.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    mario
    mario, Nov 13, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > I recently downloaded an episode of a TV program that I missed and was
    > unable to find anyone with a video tape of. It is in .avi format and
    > when I play it (WMP 7 I think, not 9 anyway) all I get is sound. I
    > have the DivX (which also have an .avi suffix) codec installed and
    > watch DivX's through WMP. What do I need to install to watch this
    > proggy?

    There are lots of codecs in use, high probability of being Xvid.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 7-Nov-04)
    MarkH, Nov 13, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    Invisible Guest

    Try this: http://avicodec.duby.info/
    Invisible, Nov 13, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> I recently downloaded an episode of a TV program that I missed and
    >> was unable to find anyone with a video tape of. It is in .avi format
    >> and when I play it (WMP 7 I think, not 9 anyway) all I get is sound.
    >> I have the DivX (which also have an .avi suffix) codec installed and
    >> watch DivX's through WMP. What do I need to install to watch this
    >> proggy?
    >>

    > Try this: http://avicodec.duby.info/

    Thanks, that sorted it. XviD, installed and working now.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 13, 2004
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I recently downloaded an episode of a TV program that I missed and
    >> was unable to find anyone with a video tape of. It is in .avi format
    >> and when I play it (WMP 7 I think, not 9 anyway) all I get is sound.
    >> I have the DivX (which also have an .avi suffix) codec installed and
    >> watch DivX's through WMP. What do I need to install to watch this
    >> proggy?

    > There are lots of codecs in use, high probability of being Xvid.

    Very high. It was indeed XviD.

    Ty,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 13, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    mario wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I recently downloaded an episode of a TV program that I missed and
    >> was unable to find anyone with a video tape of. It is in .avi format
    >> and when I play it (WMP 7 I think, not 9 anyway) all I get is sound.
    >> I have the DivX (which also have an .avi suffix) codec installed and
    >> watch DivX's through WMP. What do I need to install to watch this
    >> proggy?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > Run the avi file thru GSpot to find out which codec are missing.
    > http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    Thanks Mario. I used the utility that Invisible recommended, then installed
    the Kazaa Lite Codec pack (which I already had in my downloads folder) after
    the file was identified as XviD. Interestingly the Codec pack includes
    GSpot. I had the solution on my HDD all the time (just not installed).

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 13, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:07:24 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I recently downloaded an episode of a TV program that I missed and was
    > unable to find anyone with a video tape of. It is in .avi format and when I
    > play it (WMP 7 I think, not 9 anyway) all I get is sound. I have the DivX
    > (which also have an .avi suffix) codec installed and watch DivX's through
    > WMP. What do I need to install to watch this proggy?

    Get Grab your wallet version 9. See the walls are closing in, the door is
    over here.

    Can not say what this is a reference to. Think about it.
    Gordon, Nov 14, 2004
  9. > Get Grab your wallet version 9. See the walls are closing in, the door is
    > over here.
    >
    > Can not say what this is a reference to. Think about it.

    You been sharing meds and cups of tea with Woger ??!

    You both make as much sense (i.e: none).
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 14, 2004
  10. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I recently downloaded an episode of a TV program that I missed and was
    > unable to find anyone with a video tape of. It is in .avi format and when I
    > play it (WMP 7 I think, not 9 anyway) all I get is sound. I have the DivX
    > (which also have an .avi suffix) codec installed and watch DivX's through
    > WMP. What do I need to install to watch this proggy?

    any idea if it is actually a divx?
    might be an xvid(about the same size, and usually slightly better quality).
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 14, 2004
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:07:24 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I recently downloaded an episode of a TV program that I missed and
    >> was unable to find anyone with a video tape of. It is in .avi format
    >> and when I play it (WMP 7 I think, not 9 anyway) all I get is sound.
    >> I have the DivX (which also have an .avi suffix) codec installed and
    >> watch DivX's through WMP. What do I need to install to watch this
    >> proggy?
    >>

    > Get Grab your wallet version 9. See the walls are closing in, the
    > door is over here.
    >
    > Can not say what this is a reference to. Think about it.

    WMP's habit of reporting back? The walls being the RIAA or similar? The door
    being Linux? It's all a bit cryptic. Maybe I've not consumed enough
    mind-altering substances.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 14, 2004
  12. ~misfit~ said the following on 15/11/2004 11:18:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:07:24 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >>>I recently downloaded an episode of a TV program that I missed and
    >>>was unable to find anyone with a video tape of. It is in .avi format
    >>>and when I play it (WMP 7 I think, not 9 anyway) all I get is sound.
    >>>I have the DivX (which also have an .avi suffix) codec installed and
    >>>watch DivX's through WMP. What do I need to install to watch this
    >>>proggy?
    >>>

    >>Get Grab your wallet version 9. See the walls are closing in, the
    >>door is over here.
    >>
    >>Can not say what this is a reference to. Think about it.

    > WMP's habit of reporting back? The walls being the RIAA or similar? The door
    > being Linux? It's all a bit cryptic. Maybe I've not consumed enough
    > mind-altering substances.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/fcmsg.cgi?thread_show=11235