Codec Help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom Tricep, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. Tom Tricep

    Tom Tricep Guest

    I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
    adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them
    at home. The windows media
    player comes up, but appears black. The progress chart moves as though
    it is playing. the really old (4-5 years old) avi files play.

    My original computer is windows 2K, and has been updated through the
    newsgroups to include every codec imaginable. I have been able to play
    everything.

    My computer at home is XP, with service pac 2. This morning I did a
    download to include microsoft media package 11. Still no deal.

    What can I do?

    Do you all have a site to download all of the codecs? Or is there
    somewhere on my computer where I can burn the codecs at work, then
    bring them home and load them on my computer?

    Thanks in advance!

    Tom tricep

    Tom Tricep, Jun 23, 2007

  2. Tom Tricep

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:25:25 -0700, Tom Tricep wrote:

    >I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
    >adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them

    What does that (content) matter?

    >at home. The windows media

    Ask in the same newsgroup.

    >player comes up, but appears black. The progress chart moves as though
    >it is playing. the really old (4-5 years old) avi files play.

    Boring story.

    >My original computer is windows 2K, and has been updated through the
    >newsgroups to include every codec imaginable. I have been able to play
    >everything.

    Ditto.

    >My computer at home is XP, with service pac 2. This morning I did a
    >download to include microsoft media package 11. Still no deal.
    >
    >What can I do?

    Checl old posts in 24HSHD

    >Do you all have a site to download all of the codecs? Or is there

    'you' who? You posted about your porn distribution to a public newsgroup
    carried on servers all over the planet.

    Look for gspot , last post April

    Alternative to Media Player
    .... can't play that paricular media file. To find out what codec you
    need
    on a particular media file you can use the program GSpot
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ Btw. VLC is my default media player
    Apr 25 by JustMe - 16 messages - 8 authors

    <more snipping>

    Me

    why?, Jun 23, 2007

  3. You could try K-lit media pack or just ffdshow either one would be a
    good start.

    Will

    Perry Willoughby, Jun 23, 2007
  4. Tom Tricep

    Meat Plow Guest

    http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jun 23, 2007
  5. Tom Tricep

    Vanguard Guest

    Get the DivX codec as a start. Then head to www.free-codecs.com.

    Vanguard, Jun 23, 2007
  6. Tom Tricep

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/housecall/003.htm#2

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 23, 2007
  7. Tom Tricep

    Tester Guest

    wrote:

    >I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
    >adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them
    >at home. The windows media
    >player comes up, but appears black. The progress chart moves as though
    >it is playing. the really old (4-5 years old) avi files play.

    The DIVX.COM codec from the free version will probably work. I'm not
    sure if you can download just the codec as opposed to the programs but
    the codec (free version) is all you need to install.

    Tester, Jun 24, 2007
  8. Tom Tricep

    Gil J Guest

    "Tester" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:25:25 -0700, Tom Tricep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
    >>adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them

    You might find what you need here.

    http://www.oldversion.com/

    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp

    Gil J, Jun 25, 2007
  9. Tom Tricep

    Tom Tricep Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:25:25 -0700, Tom Tricep <>
    wrote:

    Thanks for your help. The K-lite did the trick. This 24 hour help desk
    is great! It has really saved me several times in the past where
    conventional IT guys were not cogniting on the solution.

    Love and Peace,

    Tom Tricep

    Tom Tricep, Jun 25, 2007