Codec Headaches

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by db, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. db

    db Guest

    Hi All!

    I know this topic has been covered before (I've been Googling), but I've
    yet to see a DEFINITIVE answer. It's about codecs (Oh no! Not that old
    chestnut I hear you all cry).

    The problem, in a nutshell (forgive the pun) is this:-
    I have several video files, mainly music vids in both MPG and AVI
    format, some play, some don't using Windows Media Player. They all used
    to at some point. Some have pictures and no sound, some the other way
    round, some even play upside down! I KNOW that the problem concerns
    codecs. I download the codec required to play a file and it plays -
    fine. BUT then some other files won't play until I re-install the codecs
    needed to play them. Then the original file won't play - get the
    picture. I've tried the Windows Media Player, Divx Player 2.1, the BS
    Player, Irfanview etc. etc. I have downloaded, installed, un-installed,
    re-installed (you get the idea) DIVX, MPEG4, XVID, DIV3 and a few more I
    can't remember.

    I've spent many (un)happy hours searching various websites that tell me
    their codec is the best thing since sliced bread, and all I'll ever
    need, but can't seem to find any INDEPENDENT advice on exactly which
    codecs I should install on my machine in order to play everything with
    one media player (I don't really care which one).

    So this is the challenge:- either point me to a website that will give
    me good independent advice about the required codecs OR, and I'd much
    prefer this, could one of you good people personally give me the
    information. I realise it's a lot to ask, but someone somewhere must
    have figured out the whole codec fiasco by now.

    Thanks in anticipation,
    db
    db, Sep 27, 2003

  2. db

    °Mike° Guest

    Maybe use something like Virtual Dub and TMPGenc to
    convert to all the same format? I don't know if it's possible
    with all formats, but it's worth a try.

    http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

    http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:03:02 +0100, in
    <bl2r4n$3jq$>
    db scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003

  3. db

    Harrison Guest

    I've always had good luck with using the deafult Media Player codecs
    plus the latest Divx.

    Have you tried removing all of them and re-installing media player?

    A great little app to determine which codec is required for a
    particular file is Gspot http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    When I have a video that won't play, I use Gspot and then go get the
    codec.

    Harrison, Sep 27, 2003
  4. db

    Greg M Guest

    Try http://abmefaq.net/

    Window Media Player has no desire to embrace all codecs. That'll
    never change.

    The builder of Virtual Dub has great, polite warnings about
    technically illegal codecs. I can't even begin to appreciate the
    program, but I've removed any codecs as suggested.

    Among the others you've listed I also have, from www.herosoft.com, a
    good SVCD player, SthSVCD 5.5 1999 3.8.

    Zoom player, http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/faq/

    A very odd time out, a vid will be encoded in some proprietary codec
    or goofy combination of codecs, that's unplayable otherwise.

    Greg M, Sep 27, 2003
  5. db

    gangle Guest

    "db" wrote
    > Hi All!
    >
    > I know this topic has been covered before (I've been Googling), but I've
    > yet to see a DEFINITIVE answer. It's about codecs (Oh no! Not that old
    > chestnut I hear you all cry).

    There is no definitive answer. You have a configuration problem
    unique to your OS and program combinations. Probably there is
    a conflict within your system ini that causes a mismatch with
    the data from a particular file encoded with "abc" codec and the
    proper "abc" dll needed to play it. You could also have a conflict
    caused by Direct X, which you should update to version 9b (if you
    have not already done so). Codec problems are almost never
    caused by or cured by different players -- in theory, any player
    on your system should be able to play a compressed avi, provided
    that (1) the player is *supposed* to play all (not just DivX avis),
    and (2) the codec that was used to create the avi is "properly*
    installed and registered on your system. This is where the "no
    definitive answer" thing comes in; it is almost impossible to diagnose
    your type of intermittent/complicated problem from a distance,
    since there are too many variables. I know you want some "one
    size fits all" answer, but there just isn't any.

    gangle, Sep 27, 2003
  6. db

    db Guest

    > > The problem, in a nutshell (forgive the pun) is this:-
    > > I have several video files, mainly music vids in both MPG and AVI
    > > format, some play, some don't using Windows Media Player. They all

    used
    > > to at some point. Some have pictures and no sound, some the other

    way
    > > round, some even play upside down! I KNOW that the problem concerns
    > > codecs. I download the codec required to play a file and it plays -
    > > fine. BUT then some other files won't play until I re-install the

    codecs
    > > needed to play them. Then the original file won't play - get the
    > > picture. I've tried the Windows Media Player, Divx Player 2.1, the

    BS
    > > Player, Irfanview etc. etc. I have downloaded, installed,

    un-installed,
    > > re-installed (you get the idea) DIVX, MPEG4, XVID, DIV3 and a few

    more I
    > > can't remember.
    > >
    > > I've spent many (un)happy hours searching various websites that tell

    me
    > > their codec is the best thing since sliced bread, and all I'll ever
    > > need, but can't seem to find any INDEPENDENT advice on exactly which
    > > codecs I should install on my machine in order to play everything

    with
    > > one media player (I don't really care which one).
    > >
    > > So this is the challenge:- either point me to a website that will

    give
    > > me good independent advice about the required codecs OR, and I'd

    much
    > > prefer this, could one of you good people personally give me the
    > > information. I realise it's a lot to ask, but someone somewhere must
    > > have figured out the whole codec fiasco by now.
    > >
    > > Thanks in anticipation,
    > > db

    Many thanks to all who tried to help. I know it was an almost impossible
    question, I just wondered how many others had similar problems. I
    finally got the missing codec (MP43), but I did have to download and
    install 3 versions of it before I found the right one (Nimo Codec Pack).
    I can now safely say that ALL my videos play. Thanks again.

    db
    db, Sep 30, 2003
  7. db

    Greg M Guest

    "db" <> wrote in news:blccv4$67i$:

    > Many thanks to all who tried to help. I know it was an almost
    > impossible question, I just wondered how many others had similar
    > problems. I finally got the missing codec (MP43), but I did have
    > to download and install 3 versions of it before I found the
    > right one (Nimo Codec Pack). I can now safely say that ALL my
    > videos play. Thanks again.

    Sure!
    Greg M, Oct 1, 2003