    Many thanks & regards,

    Dalziel

    PS I use windows XP

    Dalziel, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Dalziel

    gangle Guest

    You need Quicktime.
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
    When installing, don't let it take over any file types
    except proprietary ones, namely: .qt and .mov.

    "Dalziel" wrote

    gangle, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    Thanks Gangle

    I think that this is just what I wanted.
    I was hoping it would only be an add-on for Media player instead of another
    piece of software!
    However, looks as if I will need to install Quicktime to play this file.
    Your help was very much appreciated.

    Thanks & regards

    Dalziel

    Dalziel, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Dalziel

    Graham Guest

    A quick google search is suggesting that this is not possible :( It makes
    sense, Why would apple give up their only exclusive media format? :D

    Graham, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Dalziel

    Belch Guest

    Real Alternative 1.11 plays both MOV (QuickTime) and RM (Real Media)
    clips in windows media player version 6.4. The codec is included and
    requires no installation.

    I have 2 versions of WMP on my machine both work just fine. My QT and
    RM files boot up faster. I uninstalled both the QT and RM players
    before installing Real Alternative and got rid of RM and the
    advertising baggage it comes with. Real Alternative does not appear to
    have spyware and ads.

    You can download it for free at:
    http://click-now.net/downloads08.htm#Real Alternative 1.11

    I am tickled pick with RA.

    Belch
    Non-smokers are better lovers.

    -----

    Belch, Dec 14, 2003
  6. Dalziel

    Belch Guest

    Forgot to say that WMP 6.4 is included in the RA installation and I
    too use XP.

    Belch

    -----

    Belch, Dec 14, 2003
  7. Howdy!

    "Dalziel" <> wrote in message
    > Could someone please tell me it is possible to play a .mov file with

    windows
    > media player?

    Yep.

    > I heard that a 'codec' could be downloaded to do this. If so, where do I
    > download it and how is a codec installed?

    Well, the canonical answer is " http://www.quicktime.com " which
    Apple runs.

    You can also use the QuickTime Alternative, which is available at
    http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm .

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Howdy!

    "Belch" <belch@**REMOVE**easy.com> wrote in message
    > Real Alternative 1.11 plays both MOV (QuickTime) and RM (Real Media)
    > clips in windows media player version 6.4. The codec is included and
    > requires no installation.

    Ahem. RealAlternative supports RM, QuicktimeAlternativee supports
    MOV.

    Takes both ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 14, 2003