code signing for 64-bit Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?=, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I hope to get an answer/direction on how to have my 64-bit kernel driver
    digitally signed for Windows Vista (and other 64 bit Windows such as 64 bit
    Windows XP and Windows 2003 server platform). This is not for test signing.
    The signing program I am looking for is known as Publisher Identiy
    Certificate (Microsoft authenticode).

    I did not have much luck with VeriSign since they told me that they do not
    have a 64-bit code signing solution. Below is my online log with a VeriSign
    rep.
    I would like a confirmation from MS if this is true. If so, what steps do I
    need to take in order to have my drivers digitally signed for 64-bit windows?
    Thanks much.

    ======= online log ======
    Please wait while we find a representative to assist you.
    Welcome to Verisign you are now speaking with Doreen . How may I help you?
    Doreen : Hello
    Customer: Hi,
    Customer: Just wanted to know if VeriSign supports code signing for Windows
    Vista?
    Customer: From the website, it only mentions about 32-bit exe, etc, what
    about 64-bit kernel drivers (for Windows Vista, and other 64-bit Windows
    platforms)?
    Doreen : one moment
    Doreen : I am asking a colleague
    Doreen : Ok my colleague is telling me that the Microsoft Authenticode
    Digital ID will sign VISA but we do not have a 64-bit code signing solution
    Doreen : I mean VISTA
    Customer: Can you also ask whether the price listed on the website
    (CodeSigner stanard) is per platform, or per kernel driver?
    Doreen : The prices are based on years We offer 1 year for $499, 2 Years for
    $895 and 3 Years for $1,295
    Customer: Also, back to your previous answer. Does that mean we can not sign
    any kernel driver written for 64-bit Windows (64-bit Windows Vista, 64-bit
    Windows XP, and other 64-bit Windows 2003 Server platform)
    Doreen : Yes that is my understanding, however, I am not technical and I
    would be happy to transfer you to our technical support team and maybe they
    can assist you better
    Customer: Please do. Thanks
    Doreen has left the session.
    Please wait while we find an agent from the VRSN Technical Support US
    department to assist you.
    All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
    You have been connected to Kris .
    Kris : How may I help you today?
    Customer: Hi Kris - can you see previous log (our conversion about code
    sigining for 64-bit Windows)
    Kris : Yes, I can.
    Customer: Does that mean we can not sign any kernel driver written for
    64-bit Windows (64-bit Windows Vista, 64-bit Windows XP, and other 64-bit
    Windows 2003 Server platform)
    Kris : Unfortunately, we have not been able to test our Code signing ID on
    signing kernel driver for VISTA and MS has not given us any confirmation as
    well.
    Kris : Currently, Microsoft states to their self signed certificate.
    Customer: OK, how about 64-bit Windows XP and other 64 bit Windows
    Customer: 64-bit Windows XP and 64-bit Windows Server 2003 have been
    released, do you think what you mentioned above applied to these OS(es) as
    well??
    Kris : Correct, we have not received any confirmation from MS our ID will
    work for 64 bit kernel drivers.
    Customer: Do you by chance have an estimate when you will be able to support
    this?
    Kris : I've been speaking with some of the lev2 representatives. Currently,
    there is no ETA. We are still waiting confirmation from MS engineers.
    Customer: Ok. Thanks for your information.
    Kris : Thank you for visiting. Have a great day.
    Thank you for using VeriSign Live Chat. You may now end your session by
    clicking on "End Session".
    Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?=, Jul 25, 2006

  2. Hello,
    Let me check on this.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?= <>
    <Subject: code signing for 64-bit Windows
    <Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Hi,
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 25, 2006

  3. Hello,
    Still waiting to get back a answer.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
    <Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:45:54 GMT
    <Subject: RE: code signing for 64-bit Windows
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?= <>
    <<Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
    <<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <<
    <<Hi,
    <<

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 27, 2006
  4. I just tried to do the same thing and got the same answer...nobody knows
    what's going on. They're trying to figure out if Authenticode will work.

    Pardon me for questioning the premise, I don't understand why the code
    security problem can only be solved by requiring developers to buy a number.
    Seems to me that MSFT could validate the publishers by their MS Passport
    accounts and autogenerate certificates on the website. What's wrong with
    that?

    And yes, please use this suggestion freely to improve the product.

    Blake Henry

    =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?=, Sep 25, 2006
  5. I just tried the same thing and got a similar result...nobody knows what's
    going on.

    Pardon me for questioning the premise, but why can't this be done without a
    3rd party? I would think that MSFT can validate legitimate software
    publishers using the MS Passport or Partner status and autogenerate code
    certificates on the web site. It sure would help the transition to Vista/x64
    and I believe would be good for business in general.

    Blake Henry

    =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?=, Sep 25, 2006
  6. Hello,
    Finally got an answer back on this.
    The confusion may come from the request about:
    <<< The signing program I am looking for is known as Publisher Identiy
    <<<Certificate (Microsoft authenticode)
    This is no longer an option. This was dropped prior to beta 2.
    You simply need a code signing digital ID.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
    <Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:47:23 GMT
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <<From: ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
    <<Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:45:54 GMT
    <<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <<<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?=
    <>
    <<<Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
    <<<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <<<
    <<<Hi,
    <<<

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 28, 2006
  7. Hi Darrel,

    So I presume that a "code signing digital ID" is the same thing as an SPC as
    described here:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._e678d4c9-f1ed-41b8-b179-88c1fd076710.xml.asp

    I called both GeoTrust and Verisign and asked how to purchase an SPC and
    neither one of them knew what I was talking about. They asked me if I needed
    an 'Authenticode' ID.

    Can you find a contact that can help me follow through on this?

    If Verisign and GeoTrust aren't responsive enough, our company would be
    happy to help sell these SPCs for you right now.

    Thanks,
    Blake

    =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?=, Sep 28, 2006
  8. Hello Blake,
    This is the link I was pointed to on Versign's website:
    http://www.verisign.com/products-services/security-services/code-signing/dig
    ital-ids-code-signing/index.html

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?= <>
    <Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:06:02 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Hi Darrel,
    <
    <So I presume that a "code signing digital ID" is the same thing as an SPC
    as
    <described here:
    <
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devinst_d/h
    h/DevInst_d/Driver-Signing-over_e678d4c9-f1ed-41b8-b179-88c1fd076710.xml.asp
    <
    <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
    <
    <> Hello,
    <> Finally got an answer back on this.
    <> The confusion may come from the request about:
    <> <<< The signing program I am looking for is known as Publisher Identiy
    <> <<<Certificate (Microsoft authenticode)
    <> This is no longer an option. This was dropped prior to beta 2.
    <> You simply need a code signing digital ID.
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
    <> <Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:47:23 GMT
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <Hello,
    <> <Still waiting to get back a answer.
    <> <Thanks,
    <> <Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <> <
    <> <This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> <--------------------
    <> <<X-Tomcat-ID: 44996513
    <> <<References: <>
    <> <<MIME-Version: 1.0
    <> <<Content-Type: text/plain
    <> <<Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <> <<From: ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
    <> <<Organization: Microsoft
    <> <<Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:45:54 GMT
    <> <<Subject: RE: code signing for 64-bit Windows
    <> <<X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <<Message-ID: <>
    <> <<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <<Lines: 122
    <> <<Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    <> <<Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37820
    <> <<NNTP-Posting-Host: tomcatimport2.phx.gbl 10.201.218.182
    <> <<
    <> <<Hello,
    <> <<Let me check on this.
    <> <<Thanks,
    <> <<Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <> <<
    <> <<This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> <<--------------------
    <> <<<Thread-Topic: code signing for 64-bit Windows
    <> <<<thread-index: AcavfmTPRxMwDdmyQcWEXfmQgPxn8A==
    <> <<<X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 143.183.121.1
    <> <<<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?=
    <> <>
    <> <<<Subject: code signing for 64-bit Windows
    <> <<<Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
    <> <<<Lines: 75
    <> <<<Message-ID: <>
    <> <<<MIME-Version: 1.0
    <> <<<Content-Type: text/plain;
    <> <<< charset="Utf-8"
    <> <<<Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <> <<<X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
    <> <<<Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
    <> <<<Importance: normal
    <> <<<Priority: normal
    <> <<<X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.1830
    <> <<<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <<<Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    <> <<<Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37811
    <> <<<NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
    <> <<<X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <<<
    <> <<<Hi,
    <> <<<

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 28, 2006
  9. Hello Darrell,

    I checked out the link and it is for Authenticode IDs. Is that what I need
    to purchase to sign my Win64 kernel driver?

    Thanks,
    Blake

    =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?=, Sep 28, 2006
  10. Hello Blake,
    That is what I am being told you need for x64 kernel drivers
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?= <>
    <Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:05:01 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Hello Darrell,
    <
    <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
    <
    <> Hello Blake,
    <> This is the link I was pointed to on Versign's website:
    <>
    http://www.verisign.com/products-services/security-services/code-signing/dig
    <> ital-ids-code-signing/index.html
    <>
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: =?Utf-8?B?Qmxha2UgSGVucnk=?=
    <>
    <> <Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:06:02 -0700
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <Hi Darrel,
    <> <
[...]
    <> <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
    <> <
    <> <> Hello,
    <> <> Finally got an answer back on this.
    <> <> The confusion may come from the request about:
    <> <> <<< The signing program I am looking for is known as Publisher
    Identiy
    <> <> <<<Certificate (Microsoft authenticode)
    <> <> This is no longer an option. This was dropped prior to beta 2.
    <> <> You simply need a code signing digital ID.
    <> <> Thanks,
    <> <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <> <>
    <> <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    <> rights
    <> <> --------------------
    <> <> <X-Tomcat-ID: 479025059
    <> <> <References: <>
    <> <> <>
    <> <> <MIME-Version: 1.0
    <> <> <Content-Type: text/plain
    <> <> <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <> <> <From: ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
    <> <> <Organization: Microsoft
    <> <> <Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:47:23 GMT
    <> <> <Subject: RE: code signing for 64-bit Windows
    <> <> <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <Message-ID: <s#>
    <> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <Lines: 147
    <> <> <Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    <> <> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37920
    <> <> <NNTP-Posting-Host: tomcatimport2.phx.gbl 10.201.218.182
    <> <> <
    <> <> <--------------------
    <> <> <<X-Tomcat-ID: 44996513
    <> <> <<References: <>
    <> <> <<MIME-Version: 1.0
    <> <> <<Content-Type: text/plain
    <> <> <<Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <> <> <<From: ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
    <> <> <<Organization: Microsoft
    <> <> <<Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:45:54 GMT
    <> <> <<Subject: RE: code signing for 64-bit Windows
    <> <> <<X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <<Message-ID: <>
    <> <> <<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <<Lines: 122
    <> <> <<Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    <> <> <<Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    <> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37820
    <> <> <<NNTP-Posting-Host: tomcatimport2.phx.gbl 10.201.218.182
    <> <> <<
    <> <> <<Hello,
    <> <> <<Let me check on this.
    <> <> <<Thanks,
    <> <> <<Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <> <> <<
    <> <> <<--------------------
    <> <> <<<Thread-Topic: code signing for 64-bit Windows
    <> <> <<<thread-index: AcavfmTPRxMwDdmyQcWEXfmQgPxn8A==
    <> <> <<<X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 143.183.121.1
    <> <> <<<From: =?Utf-8?B?VGhhbmcgTmd1eWVu?=
    <> <> <>
    <> <> <<<Subject: code signing for 64-bit Windows
    <> <> <<<Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:08:01 -0700
    <> <> <<<Lines: 75
    <> <> <<<Message-ID: <>
    <> <> <<<MIME-Version: 1.0
    <> <> <<<Content-Type: text/plain;
    <> <> <<< charset="Utf-8"
    <> <> <<<Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    <> <> <<<X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
    <> <> <<<Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
    <> <> <<<Importance: normal
    <> <> <<<Priority: normal
    <> <> <<<X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.1830
    <> <> <<<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <<<Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    <> <> <<<Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    <> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:37811
    <> <> <<<NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
    <> <> <<<X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <<<
    <> <> <<<

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 30, 2006