    happens.
    I like that game!

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 30, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    news:jsmuud$3ug$...
    >I have three sites to play Code Cracker in Favourites. Tonight all the
    >squares are blank on all three. (The squares are still there). I got a
    >message from Adobe to install something, which I did. Well it said "Done"
    >but the letters are still not there.
    >
    > Has anybody else got this tonight?
    >
    > Tetris is still there and working.
    >
    > I'm going to try reinstalling the Codecrackers in Favourites and see what
    > happens.
    > I like that game!
    >
    > Geopelia

    Not to worry, this morning everything is OK and the letters are back!
    But last night every second or so Trend Micro blocked somebody trying to get
    my credit card, must have been about 40 attempts, so perhaps it was that
    which caused the problems.

    Geopelia, Jul 1, 2012

  3. On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 11:18:38 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>I have three sites to play Code Cracker in Favourites. Tonight all the
    >>squares are blank on all three. (The squares are still there). I got a
    >>message from Adobe to install something, which I did. Well it said "Done"
    >>but the letters are still not there.
    >>
    >> Has anybody else got this tonight?
    >>
    >> Tetris is still there and working.
    >>
    >> I'm going to try reinstalling the Codecrackers in Favourites and see what
    >> happens.
    >> I like that game!
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    >Not to worry, this morning everything is OK and the letters are back!
    >But last night every second or so Trend Micro blocked somebody trying to get
    >my credit card, must have been about 40 attempts, so perhaps it was that
    >which caused the problems.

    They cant steel your credit card, as its not part of you computer, some
    one has misled you..

    Frank Williams, Jul 1, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 11:18:38 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have three sites to play Code Cracker in Favourites. Tonight all the
    >>>squares are blank on all three. (The squares are still there). I got a
    >>>message from Adobe to install something, which I did. Well it said "Done"
    >>>but the letters are still not there.
    >>>
    >>> Has anybody else got this tonight?
    >>>
    >>> Tetris is still there and working.
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to try reinstalling the Codecrackers in Favourites and see
    >>> what
    >>> happens.
    >>> I like that game!
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >>Not to worry, this morning everything is OK and the letters are back!
    >>But last night every second or so Trend Micro blocked somebody trying to
    >>get
    >>my credit card, must have been about 40 attempts, so perhaps it was that
    >>which caused the problems.
    >>

    > They cant steel your credit card, as its not part of you computer, some
    > one has misled you..

    Of course they can't get the card itself. They try to get the number.

    Geopelia, Jul 1, 2012
  5. On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 17:31:34 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 11:18:38 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    >>>Not to worry, this morning everything is OK and the letters are back!
    >>>But last night every second or so Trend Micro blocked somebody trying to
    >>>get
    >>>my credit card, must have been about 40 attempts, so perhaps it was that
    >>>which caused the problems.
    >>>

    >> They cant steel your credit card, as its not part of you computer, some
    >> one has misled you..
    >>

    >Of course they can't get the card itself. They try to get the number.

    Utter Rubish

    Frank Williams, Jul 1, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    > On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 17:31:34 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> They cant steel your credit card, as its not part of you computer, some
    >>> one has misled you..
    >>>

    >>Of course they can't get the card itself. They try to get the number.
    >>

    > Utter Rubish

    The Code Cracker problem could have been caused by the big storm in America
    that is on the news just now. It affected some programs in America.

    (Beware the "Rubish" Wheelie bins that are coming! Somebody might "steel"
    them.
    Bad spellers Untie! You have nothing to "loose" but your "chants".)

    Sorry chaps, couldn't resist it. Off now to get tea.

    Geopelia, Jul 1, 2012

    > On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 17:31:34 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> They cant steel your credit card, as its not part of you computer, some
    >>> one has misled you..
    >>>

    >>Of course they can't get the card itself. They try to get the number.
    >>

    > Utter Rubish

    The Code Cracker problem could have been caused by the big storm in America
    that is on the news just now. It affected some programs in America.

    (Beware the "Rubish" Wheelie bins that are coming! Somebody might "steel"
    them.
    Bad spellers Untie! You have nothing to "loose" but your "chants".)

    Sorry chaps, couldn't resist it. Off now to get tea.

    ==============

    Geo when adobe flash wants to update sometimes you have to reset your
    browser that is
    shut it down and then reload it so it knows it has the new bits in it.

    If you don't have the credit card number stored on the computer then it
    cannot get anything
    and just ignore frank as you have been told before he has the manners of a
    retard and does
    not understand how to communicate with other people.

    Robin Halligan, Jul 1, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" wrote in message news:jsoq3h$cda$...
    >

    > "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 17:31:34 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>>Of course they can't get the card itself. They try to get the number.
    >>>

    >> Utter Rubish

    > The Code Cracker problem could have been caused by the big storm in
    > America
    > that is on the news just now. It affected some programs in America.
    >
    > (Beware the "Rubish" Wheelie bins that are coming! Somebody might "steel"
    > them.
    > Bad spellers Untie! You have nothing to "loose" but your "chants".)
    >
    > Sorry chaps, couldn't resist it. Off now to get tea.
    >

    > ==============
    >
    > Geo when adobe flash wants to update sometimes you have to reset your
    > browser that is
    > shut it down and then reload it so it knows it has the new bits in it.
    >
    > If you don't have the credit card number stored on the computer then it
    > cannot get anything
    > and just ignore frank as you have been told before he has the manners of a
    > retard and does
    > not understand how to communicate with other people.

    I haven't stored the number, but I have had to use the credit card for the
    odd purchase. I always use cash or a cheque whenever possible though, and
    never take the card shopping. The bank pays it off automatically each month,
    if there is ever a purchase on it.

    Adobe often updates, and I have to restart the computer.

    I never mind what people say. I've been called all sorts of names on
    nz.general and other groups.

    Geopelia, Jul 1, 2012
  9. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 02/07/12 02:26, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Geopelia" wrote in message news:jsoq3h$cda$...
    >>

    >> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> Utter Rubish

    >> The Code Cracker problem could have been caused by the big storm
    >> in America that is on the news just now. It affected some programs
    >> in America.
    >>
    >> (Beware the "Rubish" Wheelie bins that are coming! Somebody might
    >> "steel" them. Bad spellers Untie! You have nothing to "loose" but
    >> your "chants".)
    >>
    >> Sorry chaps, couldn't resist it. Off now to get tea.
    >>

    >> ==============
    >>
    >> Geo when adobe flash wants to update sometimes you have to reset
    >> your browser that is shut it down and then reload it so it knows it
    >> has the new bits in it.
    >>
    >> If you don't have the credit card number stored on the computer
    >> then it cannot get anything and just ignore frank as you have been
    >> told before he has the manners of a retard and does not understand
    >> how to communicate with other people.
    >>

    > I haven't stored the number, but I have had to use the credit card
    > for the odd purchase. I always use cash or a cheque whenever possible
    > though, and never take the card shopping. The bank pays it off
    > automatically each month, if there is ever a purchase on it.
    >
    > Adobe often updates, and I have to restart the computer.
    >
    > I never mind what people say. I've been called all sorts of names on
    > nz.general and other groups.

    If that is all that you use it for, it is unlikely that it is stored
    directly anywhere on your computer. It might be stored indirectly (eg if
    you have cause to write a letter to your bank about your credit card and
    you create the letter on the computer), or if you receive and keep your
    credit card statements online. But it is highly unlikely.

    What made you think that someone was after your credit card details?
    What did Trend say exactly?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 2, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 02/07/12 02:26, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> "Geopelia" wrote in message news:jsoq3h$cda$...
    >>>

    >>> "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message

    >>> The Code Cracker problem could have been caused by the big storm
    >>> in America that is on the news just now. It affected some programs
    >>> in America.
    >>>
    >>> (Beware the "Rubish" Wheelie bins that are coming! Somebody might
    >>> "steel" them. Bad spellers Untie! You have nothing to "loose" but
    >>> your "chants".)
    >>>
    >>> Sorry chaps, couldn't resist it. Off now to get tea.
    >>>

    >>> ==============
    >>>
    >>> Geo when adobe flash wants to update sometimes you have to reset
    >>> your browser that is shut it down and then reload it so it knows it
    >>> has the new bits in it.
    >>>
    >>> If you don't have the credit card number stored on the computer
    >>> then it cannot get anything and just ignore frank as you have been
    >>> told before he has the manners of a retard and does not understand
    >>> how to communicate with other people.
    >>>

    >> I haven't stored the number, but I have had to use the credit card
    >> for the odd purchase. I always use cash or a cheque whenever possible
    >> though, and never take the card shopping. The bank pays it off
    >> automatically each month, if there is ever a purchase on it.
    >>
    >> Adobe often updates, and I have to restart the computer.
    >>
    >> I never mind what people say. I've been called all sorts of names on
    >> nz.general and other groups.
    >>

    > If that is all that you use it for, it is unlikely that it is stored
    > directly anywhere on your computer. It might be stored indirectly (eg if
    > you have cause to write a letter to your bank about your credit card and
    > you create the letter on the computer), or if you receive and keep your
    > credit card statements online. But it is highly unlikely.
    >
    > What made you think that someone was after your credit card details? What
    > did Trend say exactly?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I only use the credit card if we want to buy anything through the computer.
    My Countdown Online order isn't paid by credit card. (That's a great
    arrangement, very handy in wet weather).

    A message comes up in the lower right corner, saying information has been
    blocked etc. There is a place saying Credit Card and the number of attempts,
    it was up to 36 at one stage.
    Perhaps it was just a computer problem.

    I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    It blocked 12 web threats last month.
    Sometimes there is a whole warning page in red saying a site is dangerous
    and has been blocked.

    If it comes up again I'll get the exact words.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 3, 2012
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> On 02/07/12 02:26, Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message

    >>> I haven't stored the number, but I have had to use the credit card
    >>> for the odd purchase. I always use cash or a cheque whenever possible
    >>> though, and never take the card shopping. The bank pays it off
    >>> automatically each month, if there is ever a purchase on it.
    >>>
    >>> Adobe often updates, and I have to restart the computer.
    >>>
    >>> I never mind what people say. I've been called all sorts of names on
    >>> nz.general and other groups.
    >>>

    >> If that is all that you use it for, it is unlikely that it is stored
    >> directly anywhere on your computer. It might be stored indirectly (eg if
    >> you have cause to write a letter to your bank about your credit card and
    >> you create the letter on the computer), or if you receive and keep your
    >> credit card statements online. But it is highly unlikely.
    >>
    >> What made you think that someone was after your credit card details? What
    >> did Trend say exactly?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    > I only use the credit card if we want to buy anything through the
    > computer. My Countdown Online order isn't paid by credit card. (That's a
    > great arrangement, very handy in wet weather).
    >
    > A message comes up in the lower right corner, saying information has been
    > blocked etc. There is a place saying Credit Card and the number of
    > attempts, it was up to 36 at one stage.
    > Perhaps it was just a computer problem.
    >
    > I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    > It blocked 12 web threats last month.
    > Sometimes there is a whole warning page in red saying a site is dangerous
    > and has been blocked.
    >
    > If it comes up again I'll get the exact words.

    Here you are:

    Transfer of protected data blocked. Data theft protection has stopped
    protected data from leaving this computer. If you need to send out the
    information you can disable this protection temporarily.
    Category Credit Card
    OK

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 3, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 04/07/12 02:11, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> If that is all that you use it for, it is unlikely that it is stored
    >>> directly anywhere on your computer. It might be stored indirectly (eg if
    >>> you have cause to write a letter to your bank about your credit card and
    >>> you create the letter on the computer), or if you receive and keep your
    >>> credit card statements online. But it is highly unlikely.
    >>>
    >>> What made you think that someone was after your credit card details? What
    >>> did Trend say exactly?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff
    >>>

    >> I only use the credit card if we want to buy anything through the
    >> computer. My Countdown Online order isn't paid by credit card. (That's a
    >> great arrangement, very handy in wet weather).
    >>
    >> A message comes up in the lower right corner, saying information has been
    >> blocked etc. There is a place saying Credit Card and the number of
    >> attempts, it was up to 36 at one stage.
    >> Perhaps it was just a computer problem.
    >>
    >> I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    >> It blocked 12 web threats last month.
    >> Sometimes there is a whole warning page in red saying a site is dangerous
    >> and has been blocked.
    >>
    >> If it comes up again I'll get the exact words.

    > Here you are:
    >
    > Transfer of protected data blocked. Data theft protection has stopped
    > protected data from leaving this computer. If you need to send out the
    > information you can disable this protection temporarily.
    > Category Credit Card
    > OK

    Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure how they would do that, (get your CC
    information). That's an advantage of a debit card that I hadn't thought
    of - if they get your debit card info they can only beggar you. If they
    get your CC info, they can put you into debt!

    Your computer man could possibly tell if you have somehow saved your CC
    info in your browser, somehow, but I doubt that you have.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 4, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 04/07/12 02:11, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> I only use the credit card if we want to buy anything through the
    >>> computer. My Countdown Online order isn't paid by credit card. (That's a
    >>> great arrangement, very handy in wet weather).
    >>>
    >>> A message comes up in the lower right corner, saying information has
    >>> been
    >>> blocked etc. There is a place saying Credit Card and the number of
    >>> attempts, it was up to 36 at one stage.
    >>> Perhaps it was just a computer problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012.
    >>> It blocked 12 web threats last month.
    >>> Sometimes there is a whole warning page in red saying a site is
    >>> dangerous
    >>> and has been blocked.
    >>>
    >>> If it comes up again I'll get the exact words.

    >> Here you are:
    >>
    >> Transfer of protected data blocked. Data theft protection has stopped
    >> protected data from leaving this computer. If you need to send out the
    >> information you can disable this protection temporarily.
    >> Category Credit Card
    >> OK
    > >

    > Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure how they would do that, (get your CC
    > information). That's an advantage of a debit card that I hadn't thought
    > of - if they get your debit card info they can only beggar you. If they
    > get your CC info, they can put you into debt!
    >
    > Your computer man could possibly tell if you have somehow saved your CC
    > info in your browser, somehow, but I doubt that you have.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I haven't knowingly saved it, but perhaps somebody has got it from something
    I bought on line.

    But from the number of attempts to get it one after the other, about 40 in
    total, I suspect it is just a computer program that attacks random people in
    hopes.
    Or it could be whatever was stopping the letters appearing in code cracker,
    sunspots perhaps? I think there were a lot of problems in America around
    that time.

    It seems to have stopped now, just one or two attempts recently.

    Geopelia, Jul 4, 2012
  14. On 4/07/2012 4:54 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
    > On 04/07/12 02:11, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure how they would do that, (get your CC
    > information). That's an advantage of a debit card that I hadn't thought
    > of - if they get your debit card info they can only beggar you. If they
    > get your CC info, they can put you into debt!
    >
    > Your computer man could possibly tell if you have somehow saved your CC
    > info in your browser, somehow, but I doubt that you have.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    But… wouldn’t they also cause you to not have enough – with the debit
    card – to buy stuff at the supermarket for the weekend?

    At least with the credit card, one has some chance of them not
    completely clearing out to the credit limit, plus presumably the bank or
    credit union will temporarily wipe the transactions’ effect while they
    investigate the fraud.

    Did you Geopelia have one of those antivirus programs that look for
    certain digits that form part of your credit card number? I remember
    that McAfee, NIS or another program did that several years ago, asking
    me for four or five digits of my card numbers.

    Ka kite ano,
    Jonathan.

    --
    Jonathan Ah Kit – 814-753-4424 – Wilkes-Barre, PA – Lower Hutt, NZ
    E-mail: –

    Jonathan Ah Kit, Jul 8, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10/07/12 10:33, Geopelia wrote:

    > I don't remember Trend Micro doing that, but how would anybody get the rest
    > of the number? They would need to know which credit card it is, Mastercard,
    > Diners etc.

    There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo, including
    the issuer.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 11, 2012
  16. In article <4ffd4669$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >On 10/07/12 10:33, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't remember Trend Micro doing that, but how would anybody get the rest
    >> of the number? They would need to know which credit card it is, Mastercard,
    >> Diners etc.
    > >

    >There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo, including
    >the issuer.

    Indeed. Many people still don't seem to know that the bank account numbers
    we regularly send others include the bank and branch information.

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 12, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:jtl7be$aq0$...
    > In article <4ffd4669$>, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >>On 10/07/12 10:33, Geopelia wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I don't remember Trend Micro doing that, but how would anybody get the
    >>> rest
    >>> of the number? They would need to know which credit card it is,
    >>> Mastercard,
    >>> Diners etc.
    >> >

    >>There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo, including
    >>the issuer.

    > Indeed. Many people still don't seem to know that the bank account numbers
    > we regularly send others include the bank and branch information.

    Do the numbers include having the pension paid into the bank? That would
    give them a clue that
    there wouldn't be much money in there.

    Geopelia, Jul 16, 2012
  18. On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:56:42 +1200, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:jtl7be$aq0$...
    >> In article <4ffd4669$>, Enkidu
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo, including
    >>>the issuer.

    >> Indeed. Many people still don't seem to know that the bank account numbers
    >> we regularly send others include the bank and branch information.
    >>

    >Do the numbers include having the pension paid into the bank? That would
    >give them a clue that
    >there wouldn't be much money in there.

    This all Bollocks they can only get your card number if you are on a
    Fake site or a Key Loger on your system, if you have a decent 2 way
    firewall that will not happend the software that you are using is listed
    as Crap..

    Frank Williams, Jul 16, 2012
  19. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 16/07/12 15:56, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    > wrote in message news:jtl7be$aq0$...
    >> In article <4ffd4669$>, Enkidu
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> There's a fair bit of information included in the number, Geo,
    >>> including the issuer.

    >> Indeed. Many people still don't seem to know that the bank account
    >> numbers we regularly send others include the bank and branch
    >> information.
    >>

    > Do the numbers include having the pension paid into the bank? That
    > would give them a clue that there wouldn't be much money in there.

    OK, firstly I don't think that anyone is trying to get your credit card
    information.

    Secondly, the credit card number only has encoded information
    about the bank that issues it and the credit card account. It doesn't
    have your name or the expiry date or the special number on the back of
    the credit card and those are needed to remove money from your account.

    What Bruce was talking about is something slightly different - the codes
    that are used to identify the bank that has your account. This
    information can be given to anyone and they can only put money *into*
    your account. The exception to this is if *you* set up an auto payment
    or direct debit with some organisation, but only that organisation is
    allowed to receive money from your account.

    I looked at the Trend Micro message that you gave. It appears to be part
    of a thing called "Data Theft Protection" and only affects outgoing
    data. If I am right you put your credit card number into a website
    sometime, maybe when you paid the Trend Micro license, and Trend
    remembered it. However it may not have stored *all* of the credit card
    number, perhaps only 4 characters of it, like "1028". If your outgoing
    request coincidentally contains "1028" you will get a warning, even
    thought the rest of the number was not sent. There may be many reasons
    why the page you submit happens to contains "1028". Maybe it was part of
    a date ("20091028").

    I saw many questions on this on the Trend web site, most of which were
    question about how to turn the notifications off! I would say don't
    worry about it, and just ignore the warnings.

    "Frank Williams" in another post says (correctly) that the only way for
    someone to steal your credit card number would be to trick you into
    going to a fake site that tricked you into supplying your credit card
    number, but in that case you wouldn't keep getting messages like you do.

    I'm almost certain that you are safe.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 16, 2012
  20. In article <5003f9af$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >"Frank Williams" in another post says (correctly) that the only way for
    >someone to steal your credit card number would be to trick you into
    >going to a fake site that tricked you into supplying your credit card
    >number, but in that case you wouldn't keep getting messages like you do.

    Easiest way to get someone's credit card/other financial and personal data
    is to go through their rubbish. I continue to be amazed how much apparently
    sensitive information many/most people are prepared to toss into recycling
    or rubbish. :)

    >I'm almost certain that you are safe.

    Agreed. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 17, 2012