'code 39' with a tape drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Terry Lemons, Oct 29, 2008.

  1. Terry Lemons

    Terry Lemons Guest

    Hi

    I have a Windows 2008 x64 system, and I'm trying to use a Sony SDZ-120
    SAIT tape drive. I've downloaded the correct driver
    (http://sony.storagesupport.com/node/464). But when I try to install the
    driver in Device Manager, I get the error, "Windows cannot load the
    device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupt or missing
    (Code 39)".

    I asked Sony technical support about this, and they said the error
    message means that is a problem in the Registry. I Google'd 'code 39',
    and found several KBs on how to fix a 'code 39' problem with DVD/CD
    drives. But I can't find anything about 'code 39' and tape drives. The
    instructions in the KBs for 'code 39' and DVD/CD drives don't seem to
    map to what I see with a tape drive.

    Help, please!

    Thanks
    tl

    Terry Lemons, Oct 29, 2008

  2. Tape support in Server 2008 is deprecated and doesn't actually work with any
    portion of the OS. You'd need a third party application to use it. That
    being said, the most common reason for a failure to load a device driver is
    a mis-match between the driver and the OS, or the driver and the hardware.
    If that isn't the issue here, and you're sure your download wasn't corrupted
    in some way, then I'd try completely deleting the tape drive in Device
    Manager and trying to let Windows detect it again. When you do that, make
    sure that all AV is disabled, and nothing else is running at startup that
    might interfere.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 30, 2008

  3. Terry Lemons

    Terry Lemons Guest

    Hi Charlie

    Thanks for the reply. I don't believe the download was corrupted (I've
    done it several times). According to the Sony web site, I'm using the
    correct driver. I was able to load a different driver from the same
    Sony web site on a different Sony tape drive, and was able to load tape
    drivers for over a dozen tape drives on this same system. So I believe
    the system and the process are sound. It's just this one tape driver /
    tape drive combination that will not work.

    Sony technical support says this is a Microsoft issue. How do I 'fix' a
    'code 39' problem?

    Thanks
    tl

    Terry Lemons, Oct 30, 2008
  4. Hello Terry,
    Open the registry.
    look under
    1)
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE
    10318}
    Tape Drives
    2)
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{CE5939AE-EBDE-11d0-B181-0000F87
    53EC4}
    Medium changer devices
    Are there any upperfilters or lowerfilter entries?
    you may need to remove those entries first.
    of course back them up first before removing them.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 30, 2008
  5. Terry Lemons

    Terry Lemons Guest

    Hi Darrell

    Nope, no 'filters' of any kind on either of these classes.

    Thanks
    tl

    Terry Lemons, Oct 31, 2008
  6. Hello terry,
    Look at the setupapi.dev.log file in the \windows\inf folder.
    See if there is any reference to a registry file location in that log with
    an error message when we attempt to write to it or create a new value
    If you still do not see anything, try setting the logging to verbose as per
    this article
    906485 How to enable verbose logging on a Windows XP-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;906485

    Remember to turn off ther verbosity after capturing the log, the log size
    will grow quickly.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 1, 2008