    If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
    when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
    and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

    Harry, Aug 20, 2006

  2. Harry

    philo Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Hello,
    How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
    shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
    If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
    when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
    and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

    My house was built in 1898 and actually had a coal bin...
    I think the trick was to not fill it all the way full.

    Never heard of anyone who still uses cola though!

    philo, Aug 20, 2006

  3. Harry

    Jerry G. Guest

    Have you tried calling your supplier for the coal? I am sure that they
    would have the proper solution for you.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Aug 20, 2006
  4. Harry

    Fred Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    Hello,
    How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
    shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
    If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
    when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
    and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

    Build a small door that opens by sliding upwards, just wide enough for your
    shovel.

    Fred, Aug 21, 2006
  5. Harry

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On 20 Aug 2006 14:18:57 -0700, "Harry" <>
    wrote:

    >?Hello,
    >How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
    >shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
    >If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
    >when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
    >and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

    Most coal bins hide a troll. Get him/her to build it for you.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Aug 21, 2006
  6. philo mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    > Never heard of anyone who still uses cola though!

    I prefer BEER!!11!!

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 21, 2006
  7. Harry

    philo Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > philo mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > snip
    > >
    > > Never heard of anyone who still uses cola though!
    > >

    > I prefer BEER!!11!!

    oops another typo...
    a coffee drinker here.

    BTW: though this house has not used coal in well over 50 years...
    \i still find some "slag" out in the yard from time to time...
    when i first moved in here...there was a piece of anthracite off in a
    corner...
    and the coal shovel was still in the basement too

    philo, Aug 21, 2006
  8. Harry

    Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > Hello,
    > How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
    > shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
    > If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
    > when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
    > and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

    I have actually seen a working coal bin in a house that used coal.
    Check out a bird feeder. Same principle. The bin I saw had a 1/4" plate
    steel 'tongue' welded to the bin at the base, and at roughly a 30degree
    angle with full sides. The hole in the bin was about 3/4 up the sides.
    The 'ramp' part was about 30" square; the hole was roughly 24" high.
    Hope that helps.

    , Aug 21, 2006
  9. Harry

    Plato Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
    > shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?

    A small door near the bottom of the bin. The small door should be part
    of the larger door which you use when the suppy goes down too low to
    flow through the small door.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 22, 2006
  10. Harry

    Plato Guest

    philo wrote:

    > How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
    > shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
    > If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
    > when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
    > and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?
    >
    > My house was built in 1898 and actually had a coal bin...
    > I think the trick was to not fill it all the way full.

    Mine had a coal bin too, after the owners swiched to coal from wood.
    Since house built at that time may not have had a basement, but only a
    crawlspace, they of course hand to hand dig the bin. Now the old bin
    houses the hot air furnace and water heater. Can still finds bits of
    coal around.

    Plato, Aug 22, 2006
  11. Harry

    philo Guest

    <snip>

    > Mine had a coal bin too, after the owners swiched to coal from wood.
    > Since house built at that time may not have had a basement, but only a
    > crawlspace, they of course hand to hand dig the bin. Now the old bin
    > houses the hot air furnace and water heater. Can still finds bits of
    > coal around.

    My house had been converted to oil heat...and then natural gas.

    The last coal company in town shut down about 15 (or so) years ago.

    One of the companies (Hometown Ice & Coal) still does a real nice ice
    business!

    philo, Aug 22, 2006
  12. Harry

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-21, <> wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> ?Hello,
    >> How do you build a door for your basement, coal bin to
    >> shovel out the coal for the stove hopper?
    >> If you build a regular door all the coal will come rushing out
    >> when you open the door. The coal bin is 4' X 8' by 4' high,
    >> and can hold about 3 ton of nut/pea coal?

    For some reason your article hasn't made it as far as me, so I've replied
    to a reply.

    > I have actually seen a working coal bin in a house that used coal.
    > Check out a bird feeder. Same principle. The bin I saw had a 1/4" plate
    > steel 'tongue' welded to the bin at the base, and at roughly a 30degree
    > angle with full sides. The hole in the bin was about 3/4 up the sides.
    > The 'ramp' part was about 30" square; the hole was roughly 24" high.
    > Hope that helps.

    I grew up with coal fires. All the coal-bins or coal-cupboards I've
    used, had a small opening at floor level, just large enough to get the
    shovel through. Above that the structure was either solid (if the top was
    accessible by a lid), or was filled by stout planks set into grooves in
    the brickwork so that they could be lifted out for access to the top of
    the heap. (With that arrangement, if you are prepared to shovel coal off
    the top of the heap you can do without the lower opening - but you might
    then get a problem with damp accumulating inside the bin).

    You'll need access to the top of the heap so that you can loosen the coal
    when it gets stuck; it's inclined to form a sort of cave around the
    opening.

    Your bin is tall enough for the removable-plank arrangement to be useful,
    so that when the bin is getting towards empty you can get inside to reach
    the corners and check for any repairs that may be needed.

    The opening should have some sort of door; a piece of wood or metal
    sliding in vertical grooves is usually enough - one bin that worked well
    simply had one concrete block left out of the bottom row of the structure,
    and the opening was closed adequately by a block that was lifted or
    dragged into position. The coal itself will flow through the opening
    until it gets jammed, which is a perfectly adequate means of closing the
    opening if you don't mind the mess - the flow is to some extent
    self-limiting, rather like the seed-hoppers used for feeding caged birds.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 22, 2006
  13. Harry

    Plato Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > I grew up with coal fires. All the coal-bins or coal-cupboards I've

    All I remember about coal heat is my grandfather cursing in the middle
    of the night when he had to feed the stove.

    Plato, Aug 23, 2006
  14. Harry

    Plato Guest

    philo wrote:

    > One of the companies (Hometown Ice & Coal) still does a real nice ice
    > business!

    Home cooling the old fashioned way. ie lemonade and ice

    Plato, Aug 23, 2006
  15. Harry

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-23, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >>
    >> I grew up with coal fires. All the coal-bins or coal-cupboards I've

    > All I remember about coal heat is my grandfather cursing in the middle
    > of the night when he had to feed the stove.

    That's just bad planning, or the wrong sort of stove. The big problems
    with coal, are pollution, dirt, and hard work.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 23, 2006