    "Hey, I bet people will buy my ugly shirts if I put my name on them."
    --Tommy Hilfiger

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 29, 2004

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:09:00 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    >I've never seen anybody suggest this, but is it possible that we could
    >have different HD formats co-exist, the same way we have different sound
    >formats, just like Dolby Digital and DTS?

    The chip requires to decode DD and DTS is relatively cheap but to make
    two HD formates co-exist in the same machine, you need different chips
    and laser which won't be cheap at all.

    , May 31, 2004

  3. wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:09:00 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I've never seen anybody suggest this, but is it possible that we could
    >>have different HD formats co-exist, the same way we have different sound
    >>formats, just like Dolby Digital and DTS?

    > The chip requires to decode DD and DTS is relatively cheap but to make
    > two HD formates co-exist in the same machine, you need different chips
    > and laser which won't be cheap at all.

    I don't see why a blue laser couldn't be used for both HD-DVD and a
    WMV-encoded SD-DVD. Besides, the decoding chips would only be expensive
    for a while. Once they become popular they'll go down in price fast.

    --
    "I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
    heard all day."

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 31, 2004