Cnet on 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DP, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. DP

    DP Guest

    DP, Mar 6, 2006

  2. Was just gonna post it. I also posted it to my blog, here are my general
    thoughts:
    I have been running Windows XP Professional x64 since April of 2005, and I
    have to say I am very pleased with the operating system and responsiveness
    of my system. The benefits are not realized from 64-bit computing itself
    since I am running a system consist of basic desktop applications such
    Office, Photoshop and Nero which I use everyday, none of these applications
    are 64-bit native, but they run just fine.

    The system was not purchased as a future proof move, thinking that it would
    run Windows Vista at full speed when its released, it was purchased
    primarily for enthusiasm and I needed a new home system and I am pleased
    with it. Its doing what I need and I enjoy using it everyday when I come
    home from work. Obtaining Windows XP Professional x64 was not difficult at
    all. I had my OEM copy purchased from http://www.directron.com

    You can purchase the trial from the following online vendors also.
    http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog
    http://www.ncix.com
    http://www.newegg.com
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com

    Hopefully though, the next major release of Windows, Vista will bring 64-bit
    computing mainstream. I believe it will, since Vista will include
    technologies that were not available Windows XP Professional x64 such as
    Media Center and Tablet PC which are beginning to take off. So, I expect to
    see more innovation from the hardware industry with desktops and mobile PCs
    that can do it all. All I can say really, there is exciting stuff coming in
    the 2007 to 2008 period. XP Professional x64 was just a start and does have
    its benefits for targetted environments.

    Windows XP Professional x64 is definitely not an operating system for the
    average Windows user who is doing basic stuff such as browsing the net or
    sending e-mails and writing one page documents in Word. But it is likely
    that by the end of this year, any PC purchased will be 64 bit enabled, which
    does not necessarily mean you are ready for a 64 bit OS. But it does give
    the user a sense of comfort knowing the capability is there ready to be
    taken advantage of by a largely supported 64-bit OS.

    The true beneficiaries are the technical ones in the technical environments
    who require the massive amounts of power this platform provides. Within the
    next 2 to 3 years 64 bit computing supported hardware and software should be
    more available than it is today and users will better take advantage of it
    with the appropriate applications written for the consumer market, so far
    that is not available.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 6, 2006

  3. DP

    DP Guest

    > The system was not purchased as a future proof move, thinking that it
    > would run Windows Vista at full speed when its released, it was purchased
    > primarily for enthusiasm and I needed a new home system and I am pleased
    > with it.

    Like you, I had to replace a computer and already had another one with an
    AMD64 cpu that was running 32-bit XP.
    So on my new system, which is dual-core AMD64, I decided to try out XP X64,
    like you not for any reasons of need but just to see what it would do.
    I'm disappointed there aren't more drivers out there, but as for the OS
    itself, I have no stability issues whatsoever.

    >Its doing what I need and I enjoy using it everyday when I come home from
    >work. Obtaining Windows XP Professional x64 was not difficult at all. I had
    >my OEM copy purchased from http://www.directron.com

    I had no problem either. My vendor installed it when he built the computer
    (and yes, I have the CDs).

    DP, Mar 6, 2006
  4. I agree more or less completely, Andre - except, I haven't seen Vista yet.
    The other day, however, I came across a new acronym: (New to me, that is!)
    XGL apparently is the next buzzword on Linux. After some superficial
    investigations I saw one comment about how the concept - i.e. that graphics
    chip manufacturers will dump the small section of the chip that governs 2D
    processing in the near future, since there is nothing that stops the 3D
    engine to take over processing 2D information, and at a great boost in
    speed! Thus, already the graphic API's are expected to have much more 3D
    elements and transparency and stuff, than presently, and it was said that
    the technology will pop up in Vista as well, with MS developing their own
    technology - which sounds logical.

    So, one question: Have you seen anything of this order in your Vista, or
    even heard of any of it yet?

    I hit upon a couple of demo's, and I have to say it is not devoid of that
    good old 'wow potential'.

    Greetings, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 6, 2006
  5. DP

    Barb Bowman Guest

    the analyst, Cherry, must be a moron and not know how to use Google.
    He would have easily found the Ferrari 4006 which comes pre-installed
    with x64.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 6, 2006
  6. As did the 4005, in Europe, if you wanted it. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 6, 2006
  7. DP

    Andy Guest

    > You can purchase the trial from the following online vendors also.

    Hey, Andre!
    Are you sure these vendors selling a TRIAL, not full version?
    Trial I could download for free from microsoft.com and I did so. And now I'm
    thinking about buying FULL x64. But your words are disappoint me.

    Andy, Mar 6, 2006
  8. Well, with Vista, I know that the Windows Team is channeling all the
    graphics rendering to the GPU (that is if your video card can handle it), if
    not you will get a lower graphics tier similar to Windows XP. In the case of
    XGL, the equivalent would be Windows Presentation Foundation which
    represents a significant evolution of presentation technology, with the goal
    of allowing developers to easily build rich and compelling user interfaces
    that seamlessly integrate high-quality document and multimedia content.

    "The presentation technologies in Vista allows developers to deliver an
    exciting and compelling user experience by providing a full set of the
    pre-packaged UI components, multimedia support, and smooth integration of
    applications into the user interface. WPF is designed to take advantage of
    the capabilities of specific hardware components, so that all applications
    use the power of the Graphics-Processing Unit, rendering high quality, next
    generation user interfaces.

    WPF is exposed mainly through managed code; so for the developer the
    architecture itself allows you to customize API (Application Programming
    Interface) controls through inheritance. This allows you to maintain control
    of appearance and input functionality without rewriting code; for example,
    the keyboard is simply available without the developer having to program any
    part of its infrastructure. For Layout and Localization, Avalon allows you
    to resize the layout to accommodate localized content. New styles also allow
    you to give your applications a consistent look and feel."

    Existing Win32 based applications should continue to work normally in
    Longhorn; but they will not be able to take advantage of the new features
    without some degree of adaptation to the new programming model.

    Here are some scenarios where a Developer utilizing Avalon can enhance an
    existing Win32 based application, these include:

    a.. Using the "WPF" user interface (UI) for dialog boxes of wizards.
    b.. Hosting the WPF UI as a child of a Win32 window.
    c.. Redesigning the appearance of existing applications so that they
    resemble the WPF UI.
    d.. Hosting a Win32 window as an element in the WPF UI.
    e.. Hosting an ActiveX control as an WPF element.
    f.. Replacing Win32 menus and toolbars with their WPF equivalents.
    g.. Integrating WPF command with Win32 commands.
    h.. Using drag-and-drop across WPF and Win32.

    Finally, WPF graphics-rendering layer contributes new drawing and animation
    features to Longhorn. These features were previously provided by using
    specialized libraries, specifically the Windows Graphics Device Interface
    (GDI) and Windows GDI+. To accommodate developers working with existing
    unmanaged applications, Avalon's Visual API provides limited
    interoperability between the Avalon Graphics System and GDI-based rendering
    services.

    Excerpts adapted from Developer's Guid to Intereoperability and Migration in
    Longhorn version 1.0 emerging practices/guidance for early
    implementers/patterns and practices.

    So XGL is more of trying to be technology I say, while Microsoft is
    providing a platform for developers to use and implement existing
    development knowledge and strategies and tools which makes Windows Vista a
    more compelling choice over competitive open source solutions.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 6, 2006
  9. I think it's safe to say that Andre mis-typed on that one. ;)

    They're selling the OEM / System Builder version.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 6, 2006
  10. Thats a grammatical error, I apologise, I meant the Full OEM version.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 6, 2006
  11. DP

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Mar 6, 2006
  12. Well that's hardly surprising. ;)