    1. Advertising

  2. Au79

    richard Guest

    richard, Oct 27, 2006

  3. Au79

    Nancy Guest

    Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dont have to read it. Firefox wins hands down, 3 thumbs up every time.

    "3 thumbs"? Where do you keep the third thumb hidden normally?

    Nancy, Oct 28, 2006
  4. Au79

    Water Bear Guest

    Water Bear, Oct 28, 2006
  5. Au79

    Vanguard Guest

    "Nancy" <> wrote in message

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Dont have to read it. Firefox wins hands down, 3 thumbs up every
    >> time.
    >>

    > "3 thumbs"? Where do you keep the third thumb hidden normally?

    In his pants. He plays with it with his other thumbs.

    Vanguard, Oct 28, 2006
  6. Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    "Au79" <> wrote in message
    > And the winner is...
    >
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6656808-1.html?tag=lnav

    "Installing IE 7 requires a reboot and takes forever. Plus the download is
    giant, and you have to turn off your virus scanner. My installation went
    smoothly, but I got the feeling IE was reprogramming my computer's DNA as it
    worked."

    "The IE 7 installer asks users to temporarily disable their antivirus and
    antispyware protection, which doesn't inspire confidence. Installing IE 7
    requires Windows validation, a restart, and a connection to Microsoft
    servers, which significantly slows down the process."

    "IE 7's installation recommended that we back up important files, close all
    programs, and eventually restart, while Firefox asked us only to close the
    old Firefox. And Microsoft checked that we were running a valid copy of
    Windows XP before we could download IE 7, which felt intrusive (if not
    insulting) next to the hands-off Firefox installation. But I'm not crazy
    about IE 7 or Firefox creating browser icons by default for my Windows XP
    desktop, Start Menu folder, and Quick Launch bar; you'll have to uncheck
    those during installation if you don't want the shortcuts."

    What an absolute load of bollocks.

    Michael Cargill, Oct 28, 2006
  7. Au79

    Guest

    Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 10:41:33 +0100, "Michael Cargill"
    <> wrote:

    >What an absolute load of bollocks.

    Do you mean the review was a load of bollocks or the applications?

    I can't remember any complications with installation of either
    applications. In both cases I would have installed from the web so I
    wouldn't have been timing anything.

    Steve

    , Oct 28, 2006
  8. Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 10:41:33 +0100, "Michael Cargill"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>What an absolute load of bollocks.
    >>

    > Do you mean the review was a load of bollocks or the applications?
    >
    > I can't remember any complications with installation of either
    > applications. In both cases I would have installed from the web so I
    > wouldn't have been timing anything.

    The review.

    I installed IE7 the other day and it went flawlessly. To say that it takes
    'forever' to install is nonsense and it only needs activation if you haven't
    done it already.

    There are plenty of applications that tell you to disable your antivirus and
    spyware scanners during installation.

    Michael Cargill, Oct 28, 2006
  9. Au79

    Freewheeler Guest

    "Michael Cargill" <> wrote in message
    > The review.
    >
    > I installed IE7 the other day and it went flawlessly. To say that it
    > takes 'forever' to install is nonsense and it only needs activation if you
    > haven't done it already.
    >
    > There are plenty of applications that tell you to disable your antivirus
    > and spyware scanners during installation.

    Same here; it was very quick to d/l and install and I didn't have any
    problems. Of course the jury's still out on whether its any particular
    improvement over Firefox (for example, FF tends to be quite a memory hog
    though I don't know what IE7 is in comparison). I'll use it for a while and
    see. It needs to be a lot more secure than previous versions, that's for
    sure (though I see FF isn't quite a secure as is sometimes claimed...) Also
    I think things like tabbed browsing were 'stolen' from browsers like FF
    anyway.

    One thing I noticed is that it seems to take quite a while to empty the
    temporary internet cache in IE7, certainly longer than I remember in
    previous versions.

    I think its going to have an uphill battle to beat FF, but who knows? Time
    will tell.

    S.

    Freewheeler, Oct 28, 2006
  10. Au79

    Guest

    Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:43:16 +0100, "Michael Cargill"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 10:41:33 +0100, "Michael Cargill"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>What an absolute load of bollocks.
    >>>

    >> Do you mean the review was a load of bollocks or the applications?
    >>
    >> I can't remember any complications with installation of either
    >> applications. In both cases I would have installed from the web so I
    >> wouldn't have been timing anything.

    >The review.
    >
    >I installed IE7 the other day and it went flawlessly. To say that it takes
    >'forever' to install is nonsense and it only needs activation if you haven't
    >done it already.
    >
    >There are plenty of applications that tell you to disable your antivirus and
    >spyware scanners during installation.

    That's good. I had the same experience with IE7. No installation
    problems that I noticed. So, I think the review is a load of biased
    rubbish. I assume the comments about FF2 were also rubbish.

    I find both applications to be excellent but I use IE7 most often. I
    use FF2 for checking sites.

    http://www.easynn.com

    , Oct 28, 2006
  11. Au79

    Guest

    Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:07:15 +0100, "Freewheeler"
    <> wrote:

    >Also
    >I think things like tabbed browsing were 'stolen' from browsers like FF
    >anyway.

    Adobe Systems patented document tabs a while ago so I think any
    application that uses them could be accused of stealing them from
    Adobe.

    http://www.easynn.com

    , Oct 28, 2006
  12. Au79

    Mara Guest

    Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:07:15 +0100, "Freewheeler" <>
    wrote:

    <snip>
    >One thing I noticed is that it seems to take quite a while to empty the
    >temporary internet cache in IE7, certainly longer than I remember in
    >previous versions.
    >
    >I think its going to have an uphill battle to beat FF, but who knows? Time
    >will tell.

    I think it's already lost the battle, IMHO:

    http://secunia.com/
    http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=112008QZ2L4G

    --
    I understand that Google are going to release a beta version of Google
    Fuckwit shortly. Google Fuckwit will be used alongside Google Groups

    Mara, Oct 28, 2006
  13. Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 07:41:50 -0500, Mara wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:07:15 +0100, "Freewheeler" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >>One thing I noticed is that it seems to take quite a while to empty the
    >>temporary internet cache in IE7, certainly longer than I remember in
    >>previous versions.
    >>
    >>I think its going to have an uphill battle to beat FF, but who knows? Time
    >>will tell.

    > I think it's already lost the battle, IMHO:
    >
    > http://secunia.com/
    > http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=112008QZ2L4G

    This:
    http://secunia.com/internet_explorer_7_popup_address_bar_spoofing_test/

    They'll also want to be doing these too:
    http://windowssecrets.com/comp/061026#story1

    What drag..even if I used Windows, I'd not let that pile of junk near my
    machine(s).

    --
    MicroSoft's original corporate home was very intresting.
    The Sundowner Motel in Albuquerque. The Sundowner was a seedy

    William Poaster, Oct 28, 2006
  14. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    Hiya Michael Cargill.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Quite frankly the validation side of things is a non-issue.

    I know four people with legal XP licenses that can't update (other than
    automatic) nor download from M$ due to failure to validate. I'd call that
    an issue.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Oct 28, 2006
  15. Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    "Ponder" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya Michael Cargill.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Quite frankly the validation side of things is a non-issue.

    > I know four people with legal XP licenses that can't update (other than
    > automatic) nor download from M$ due to failure to validate. I'd call that
    > an issue.

    Why? All they need to do is ring MS.

    Michael Cargill, Oct 28, 2006
  16. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Why? All they need to do is ring MS.

    These are people with scant knowledge of things computery and that's
    exactly what I've advised each one. One of the four who has come back to me
    has stated he's sick of being passed back and forth between PC World and
    MS, each claiming it's the other's responsibility.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Oct 28, 2006
  17. Au79

    Mara Guest

    Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs FireFox 2

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:21:04 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >This:
    >http://secunia.com/internet_explorer_7_popup_address_bar_spoofing_test/
    >
    >They'll also want to be doing these too:
    >http://windowssecrets.com/comp/061026#story1
    >
    >What drag..even if I used Windows, I'd not let that pile of junk near my
    >machine(s).

    I ran the tests with IE and Firefox, printed out screen captures, and am ready
    to take them to the next Manager's meeting. I think we'll be moving to Firefox
    before long.

    Mara, Oct 29, 2006