    RGB TIFF, merge them and then convert to CMYK TIFF ?
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Alfred Molon

    Matti Vuori Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote in
    news::

    > What is the "standard" CMYK colour space (as AdobeRGB in RGB)?

    There isn't any - CMYK is device dependent. The profile of the specific
    output device should be used.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>
    Matti Vuori, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Alfred Molon

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Alfred Molon writes ...
    >
    >What is the "standard" CMYK colour space (as AdobeRGB in RGB)?

    There are 10 or so choices in the drop down menu for Photoshop, like
    "U.S. Webcoated SWOP v2" or, since you're in Europe, "Euroscale coated
    v2" etc. But typically these are simply starting points and you would
    ask your CMYK printer for the specifics for his press (though they
    rarely know them). In other words, there is no "standard" except for
    the Photoshop defaults and these aren't really 'standard' in the way
    the RGB abstract spaces are.

    >I need to generate a CMYK panorama.

    Ask the guy doing the printing what he recommends for color space.

    >Should I convert the three RAW images to CMYK TIFF, then merge
    >them or is it ok if I convert them to RGB TIFF, merge them and then
    >convert to CMYK TIFF ?

    I would do the work in RGB, then you can convert the profile to
    different CMYK targets later in the flow as needed.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Alfred Molon wrote:
    > What is the "standard" CMYK colour space (as AdobeRGB in RGB)?
    >
    > I need to generate a CMYK panorama. Should I convert the three RAW
    > images to CMYK TIFF, then merge them or is it ok if I convert them to
    > RGB TIFF, merge them and then convert to CMYK TIFF ?

    I suggest doing all work in 16-bit mode. I was recently
    preparing some prints for a gallery showing and converting
    to CMYK using profiles, and one of my images came out noticeably
    posterized. I redid it in 16-bit, then converted to 8-bit and it
    came out much better. I edit in RGB, LAB and CMYK, and when
    converting back and forth, as well as editing, 16-bit mode
    minimizes losses.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jun 26, 2005