CMV CT-934D first impressions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2005.

  1. Yesterday I finally decided that I needed a proper monitor for my
    Shuttle box, instead of continuing with this 15" CRT cast-off that a
    client gave me.

    As you may know, I like to read the Aussie magazines. Looking for
    something in a reasonable price range (I was prepared to pay up to
    around $1000), the two recommendations I noted were the CMV CT-720D and
    the Viewsonic VX924. So I popped round to my local Harvey Norman to see
    what they had to offer.

    They had about 9 monitors in one section, plus a projector, all showing
    some kind of aquarium screensaver display from the same Windows PC.
    Actually that turned out to be quite a reasonable test of the dynamic
    range of the monitors. I was quickly attracted to the one CMV (19") in
    the range, as doing a particularly good job with detail in the darker
    parts of the picture.

    When I finally got hold of a salesman, he tried to steer me towards a
    BenQ, as being his particular favourite. It was true that image looked
    less washed-out (probably as a result of its reflective glass coating),
    but it didn't do quite as good a job with darker details. There was also
    a Samsung, which was displaying a noticeably inferior, murkier image. He
    suggested that it was because the brightness and contrast on the CMV
    were set quite high, but even after I fiddled with these settings on the
    various monitors to try to come up with a like-with-like comparison, I
    thought the CMV still looked best. So I settled on the CMV, at a price
    of $800 incl GST.

    Turns out it wasn't the CT-720D I had bought, but a newer model, the
    CT-934. I tried Googling for it, but I could only find about 4 hits, all
    of them in Chinese! Google's translation service indicated these were
    all copies of the same news item about the introduction of the model, so
    it's apparently too new for anyone to have reviewed it yet.

    First of all, this thing is amazingly bright. Even with the brightness
    set on minimum, it still dominates my office. As far as image quality is
    concerned, my standard of comparison is the three-and-a-half-year-old G4
    iMac that I still use, with its built-in 15" screen that was highly
    regarded at the time. And after a few appropriate brightness and
    contrast tweaks, as well as an adjustment to my X server's gamma
    setting, I have to say there is hardly any difference in quality between
    the CMV and the iMac screen. I went through a few sample images from
    photographs I had taken, and the CMV does an excellent job with the
    colours and the dynamic range.

    By the way, the thing has both DVI and regular analog D-sub inputs, but
    the NVidia card in my Shuttle only does D-sub out, so I haven't tried
    the DVI.

    The CMV also has a pair of speakers built-in. And I have to admit
    it--these are pathetic. Even with the volume at maximum, you can hardly
    hear the things. I don't know what their power rating is (there's no
    mention in the booklet), but it's got to be some small fraction of a
    watt. But then, I didn't buy this monitor for the speakers...

    By the way, I'm not much of a gamer, so I haven't done any tests for
    refresh time. I think the Googled articles I mentioned above quoted 8ms
    for the refresh, but I'm not sure--even the booklet doesn't say.

    Update: I just tried Googling for "CT-934D" instead of "CMV CT-934", and
    that brings up a load more hits...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > First of all, this thing is amazingly bright. Even with the brightness
    > set on minimum, it still dominates my office.

    I bought a CMV a year or so ago, and this was my first thought too! I
    had to turn down the brightness on it for the first week so I could get
    used to it! :).

    I don't know why CMV's are so cheap, because they seem to be quite nice,
    especially compared to LCDs with comparable prices.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 9, 2005

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Harry Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> First of all, this thing is amazingly bright. Even with the brightness
    >> set on minimum, it still dominates my office.

    > I bought a CMV a year or so ago, and this was my first thought too! I
    > had to turn down the brightness on it for the first week so I could get
    > used to it! :).
    >
    > I don't know why CMV's are so cheap, because they seem to be quite nice,
    > especially compared to LCDs with comparable prices.

    Samsung 17" are better because they have a zero dead pixel policy and
    they are priced at around $650.

    Harry, Oct 9, 2005
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    XPD Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >> First of all, this thing is amazingly bright. Even with the brightness
    > >> set on minimum, it still dominates my office.

    > > I bought a CMV a year or so ago, and this was my first thought too! I
    > > had to turn down the brightness on it for the first week so I could get
    > > used to it! :).
    > >
    > > I don't know why CMV's are so cheap, because they seem to be quite nice,
    > > especially compared to LCDs with comparable prices.
    > >

    > Samsung 17" are better because they have a zero dead pixel policy and
    > they are priced at around $650.

    We sell clients CMV LCD screens all the time and have had no complaints bout
    them at all. Theyre 1/2 the price of the Samsungs and usually have a better
    refresh rate (around 8ms).

    XPD, Oct 9, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Harry <> wrote:

    >Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> First of all, this thing is amazingly bright. Even with the brightness
    >>> set on minimum, it still dominates my office.

    >> I bought a CMV a year or so ago, and this was my first thought too! I
    >> had to turn down the brightness on it for the first week so I could get
    >> used to it! :).
    >>
    >> I don't know why CMV's are so cheap, because they seem to be quite nice,
    >> especially compared to LCDs with comparable prices.

    >Samsung 17" are better because they have a zero dead pixel policy and
    >they are priced at around $650.

    I'm not sure what the dead-pixel policy is for CMV--the Harvey Norman
    guy couldn't tell me (said he'd have to phone the agent on Monday), and
    there's no mention that I can find in the box.

    Not that I've noticed any dead pixels yet...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2005
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Andrew Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Harry <> wrote:
    >

    >>Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    >>>I bought a CMV a year or so ago, and this was my first thought too! I
    >>>had to turn down the brightness on it for the first week so I could get
    >>>used to it! :).
    >>>
    >>>I don't know why CMV's are so cheap, because they seem to be quite nice,
    >>>especially compared to LCDs with comparable prices.

    >>Samsung 17" are better because they have a zero dead pixel policy and
    >>they are priced at around $650.

    > I'm not sure what the dead-pixel policy is for CMV--the Harvey Norman
    > guy couldn't tell me (said he'd have to phone the agent on Monday), and
    > there's no mention that I can find in the box.
    >
    > Not that I've noticed any dead pixels yet...

    from memory you can get them with the zero dead pixels, they generally
    cost slightly more then the version without the warrantly.. so basically
    you can buy an "Extended warranty"

    Andrew, Oct 9, 2005
  7. Harry wrote:
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>>First of all, this thing is amazingly bright. Even with the brightness
    >>>set on minimum, it still dominates my office.

    >>I bought a CMV a year or so ago, and this was my first thought too! I
    >>had to turn down the brightness on it for the first week so I could get
    >>used to it! :).
    >>
    >>I don't know why CMV's are so cheap, because they seem to be quite nice,
    >>especially compared to LCDs with comparable prices.

    > Samsung 17" are better because they have a zero dead pixel policy and
    > they are priced at around $650.

    Some of the CMVs have a zero dead pixel policy. My model has a stuck red
    pixel, but it doesn't have a zero dead pixel policy. You don't even
    notice it anymore after a week.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 9, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    Andrew <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Harry <> wrote:

    >>>Samsung 17" are better because they have a zero dead pixel policy and
    >>>they are priced at around $650.

    >> I'm not sure what the dead-pixel policy is for CMV--the Harvey Norman
    >> guy couldn't tell me (said he'd have to phone the agent on Monday), and
    >> there's no mention that I can find in the box.
    >>
    >> Not that I've noticed any dead pixels yet...

    >from memory you can get them with the zero dead pixels, they generally
    >cost slightly more then the version without the warrantly.. so basically
    >you can buy an "Extended warranty"

    The Harvey Norman guy didn't mention anything about this to me. His idea
    of an "extended warranty" was to charge over $100 extra to extend the
    standard warranty to three years. I said no thanks.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2005
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 10:48:15 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    .... (lots)

    I bought mine around a month ago. Using price spy I got it for just
    over $500 delivered. I find it a great monitor.

    Setting it up using Adobe Gamma utility meant turning everyting down
    to near minimum setting but I decided I like it better in its default
    text mode. Pictures look so much brighter and crisper than they ever
    did on my old 17" crt.

    My only other encounter with LCD displays is with 15" Dells at work
    and I would rate this way above them.

    By the way it is 8ms and works great for multimedia. I use it for both
    internet TV and watching DVDs. Have not tried the speakers though. I
    will stick with my Altec Lansing surround system.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Oct 9, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    Bruce Knox <> wrote:

    >By the way it is 8ms and works great for multimedia. I use it for both
    >internet TV and watching DVDs. Have not tried the speakers though. I
    >will stick with my Altec Lansing surround system.

    Thanks for the info. I'll go looking for a decent set of speakers at
    some stage, and stick with headphones in the meantime...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2005