    sound while it was shutting off. what is going on? i have not turned it on
    yet since. hoping someone here will have a clue what the beep was and why it
    did all of this, power light flashing and all that.

    Diehard, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    news:XIDGb.8704$...
    > my dads pc was rnning fine. i just went in there christmas morning today.

    it
    > was sounding weird making a weird sound. so i hit the power button and

    then
    > after a couple seconds it started to make a really loud high pitched beep,

    > continuious beep. the power light was flashing while it was making this
    > sound while it was shutting off. what is going on? i have not turned it on
    > yet since. hoping someone here will have a clue what the beep was and why

    it
    > did all of this, power light flashing and all that.

    more info . i left it running after i cleaned inside it and just now started
    hearing the beep. went in the recroom, it was shut off, but the beep was
    going extremly loud single continuious beep and the power light was
    flashing. so i held the power button for a few seconds to shut the power
    off. it had been running for maybe 15 or so minutes just now.

    is it possible the cpu is bad? cus the fan makes a really loud bad sound.
    like it needs oiling or something. i know it was working fine last night and
    for months and a couple years before that. I'd like to know what this all
    means and what might be bad so i can replace the bad parts and not buy a
    whole new pc.

    it's an Athlon 1.33 ghz with 512mb ram, 40gb hard drive with 13gb hard
    drive. plextor burner. geforce 2 video card. asus motherboard. works great
    for my father.

    Diehard, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    It's probably the CPU fan and the CPU is overheating and triggering the
    alarm. You need to install a new CPU cooler and fan and hope the CPU is not
    damaged.

    Michael-NC, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > It's probably the CPU fan and the CPU is overheating and triggering the
    > alarm. You need to install a new CPU cooler and fan and hope the CPU is

    not
    > damaged.
    >
    > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > > > my dads pc was rnning fine. i just went in there christmas morning

    > today.
    > > it
    > > > was sounding weird making a weird sound. so i hit the power button and

    > > then
    > > > after a couple seconds it started to make a really loud high pitched

    > beep,
    > > > continuious beep. the power light was flashing while it was making

    this
    > > > sound while it was shutting off. what is going on? i have not turned

    it
    > on
    > > > yet since. hoping someone here will have a clue what the beep was and

    > why
    > > it
    > > > did all of this, power light flashing and all that.
    > > >

    > > more info . i left it running after i cleaned inside it and just now

    > started
    > > hearing the beep. went in the recroom, it was shut off, but the beep was
    > > going extremly loud single continuious beep and the power light was
    > > flashing. so i held the power button for a few seconds to shut the power
    > > off. it had been running for maybe 15 or so minutes just now.
    > >
    > > is it possible the cpu is bad? cus the fan makes a really loud bad

    sound.
    > > like it needs oiling or something. i know it was working fine last night

    > and
    > > for months and a couple years before that. I'd like to know what this

    all
    > > means and what might be bad so i can replace the bad parts and not buy a
    > > whole new pc.
    > >
    > > it's an Athlon 1.33 ghz with 512mb ram, 40gb hard drive with 13gb hard
    > > drive. plextor burner. geforce 2 video card. asus motherboard. works

    great
    > > for my father.

    That might be my guess, my uncle suggested it might be the power supply and
    to unplug everything from the motherboard and then turn it on to see what
    happens. the cpu fan works fine, it just makes a whinning sound.

    Diehard, Dec 25, 2003
  5. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > > It's probably the CPU fan and the CPU is overheating and triggering the
    > > alarm. You need to install a new CPU cooler and fan and hope the CPU is

    > not
    > > damaged.
    > >
    > > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    > > today.
    > > > it

    and
    > > > then

    > > beep,

    > this

    > it
    > > on

    and
    > > why
    > > > it
    > > > >

    > > > more info . i left it running after i cleaned inside it and just now

    > > started
    > > > hearing the beep. went in the recroom, it was shut off, but the beep

    was
    > > > going extremly loud single continuious beep and the power light was
    > > > flashing. so i held the power button for a few seconds to shut the

    power
    > > > off. it had been running for maybe 15 or so minutes just now.
    > > >
    > > > is it possible the cpu is bad? cus the fan makes a really loud bad

    > sound.
    > > > like it needs oiling or something. i know it was working fine last

    night
    > > and
    > > > for months and a couple years before that. I'd like to know what this

    > all
    > > > means and what might be bad so i can replace the bad parts and not buy

    > > > whole new pc.
    > > >
    > > > it's an Athlon 1.33 ghz with 512mb ram, 40gb hard drive with 13gb hard
    > > > drive. plextor burner. geforce 2 video card. asus motherboard. works

    > great
    > > > for my father.
    > > >

    > That might be my guess, my uncle suggested it might be the power supply

    and
    > to unplug everything from the motherboard and then turn it on to see what
    > happens. the cpu fan works fine, it just makes a whinning sound.

    If it's making a whining sound, it needs to be replaced.

    Michael-NC, Dec 25, 2003
  6. Diehard

    Swift Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:

    > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>It's probably the CPU fan and the CPU is overheating and triggering the
    >>>alarm. You need to install a new CPU cooler and fan and hope the CPU is

    >>not
    >>
    >>>damaged.
    >>>
    >>>"Diehard" <> wrote in message

    >>>today.

    > and

    >>>beep,

    >>this

    >>it
    >>
    >>>on

    > and
    >
    >>>why

    >>>started

    > was

    > power

    >>sound.

    > night
    >
    >>>and

    >>all

    >>great

    >>That might be my guess, my uncle suggested it might be the power supply

    > and
    >
    >>to unplug everything from the motherboard and then turn it on to see what
    >>happens. the cpu fan works fine, it just makes a whinning sound.

    > If it's making a whining sound, it needs to be replaced.

    That's definitely the power shutdown CPU overheat protection. Before
    powering it again, go to your local computer hardware store or an online
    store like http://www.techstreet.net and buy a new CPU cooler fan. You
    can pick a good one up (with heatsink) for around $30-35. If you
    continue powering it without replacing the fan though, it's going to
    damage that proc.

    Swift

    Swift, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Diehard

    Brad Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message news:<XIDGb.8704$>...
    > my dads pc was rnning fine. i just went in there christmas morning today. it
    > was sounding weird making a weird sound. so i hit the power button and then
    > after a couple seconds it started to make a really loud high pitched beep, a
    > continuious beep. the power light was flashing while it was making this
    > sound while it was shutting off. what is going on? i have not turned it on
    > yet since. hoping someone here will have a clue what the beep was and why it
    > did all of this, power light flashing and all that.

    we hope its the cpu cooling fan. you should find out if your
    motherboard has a way to measure cpu fan speed, so thats okay

    or, its the disk drive. they can sometimes screech.

    check the event log in control panel, administrative tools. make sure
    all failures are being logged and check to see if the disk is
    croaking.

    the system log ??? if there is a red x and it says disk? double click
    and see what it says.

    back up any stuff you cant lose, usually letters, resumes, emails, etc
    consider replacing the disk drive

    Brad, Jan 17, 2004