    --
    Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
    Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
    Joseph Chamberlain, DDS, Jun 18, 2005

  2. "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" <> wrote in message
    > I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS
    > sensors for SLR digital cameras. Which one is the best ? Which provides

    the
    > best image quality, color fidelity and reproduction, greater color space

    or
    > color gamut, ... ?

    At leat one recent camcorder (Sony PC1000) is now using CMOS instead of CCD,
    and the magazine reviewers are praising the merits of CMOS (as you would
    expect) with regard to better contrast handling etc. Seems to me that they
    haven't checked in to the dpreview site where there's nearly always a
    discussion going regarding blown highlights etc.
    And if 3 sensors (3xCCD or 3xCMOS) are so good for video, why does no still
    camera off this feature - size, perhaps!
    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Malcolm Stewart, Jun 18, 2005

  3. In article <BED90B0B.DA12%>,
    "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" <> wrote:

    > Dear members:
    >
    > I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS
    > sensors for SLR digital cameras. Which one is the best ? Which provides the
    > best image quality, color fidelity and reproduction, greater color space or
    > color gamut, ... ?
    >
    > I am also interested in reading reviews published in either print
    > journals/photo magazines or online publications. Are there any reviews you
    > would recommend ?
    >
    > Thank you in advance and best regards to all.

    I doubt you'll find any such reviews. Sensor design and build quality
    are still the deciding factor in image quality. The only CCD versus
    CMOS difference that I know of is in long exposures. High power
    consumption prevents CCDs from using exposures much longer than 30
    seconds in a non-cooled camera. CMOS sensors are only limited by
    electrical leakage.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 18, 2005
  4. Joseph Chamberlain, DDS

    Guest

    The most obvious sides to this question is the Nikon D70 vs Canon 10D,
    both 6.x MP and both take awesome pictures. The Nikon (and all of
    Nikon's line IIRC) uses a CCD sensor, the 10D (and likewise all of
    Canon's line IIRC) use CMOS sensors. If there are any technological
    shortcomings with either design they have already been dealt with with
    additional hardware or in software since both cameras take stunning
    pictures. I don't doubt on the low-level they are vastly different,
    but the end result (the picture and really the only thing that matters)
    is equally good.

    Good Luck!
    , Jun 18, 2005
  5. Joseph Chamberlain, DDS

    Mike Henley Guest

    Malcolm Stewart wrote:
    > "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" <> wrote in message
    > > I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS
    > > sensors for SLR digital cameras. Which one is the best ? Which provides

    > the
    > > best image quality, color fidelity and reproduction, greater color space

    > or
    > > color gamut, ... ?

    > At leat one recent camcorder (Sony PC1000) is now using CMOS instead of CCD,
    > and the magazine reviewers are praising the merits of CMOS (as you would
    > expect) with regard to better contrast handling etc. Seems to me that they
    > haven't checked in to the dpreview site where there's nearly always a
    > discussion going regarding blown highlights etc.
    > And if 3 sensors (3xCCD or 3xCMOS) are so good for video, why does no still
    > camera off this feature - size, perhaps!

    Size of sensors or camera?

    The recent consumer range panasonic 3ccd camcorders are small enough.

    Mike Henley, Jun 18, 2005
  6. On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:19:41 GMT, "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS"
    <> wrote:

    >I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS
    >sensors for SLR digital cameras. ...

    Joseph,

    CMOS sensors have the advantage of being able to cover a large
    range of brightness levels, several orders of magnitude,
    definitely much more than CCD sensors.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Joseph Chamberlain, DDS

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Hans-Georg
    Michna says...

    > CMOS sensors have the advantage of being able to cover a large
    > range of brightness levels, several orders of magnitude,
    > definitely much more than CCD sensors.

    Only if they are of the non-integrating type, which has high noise
    levels.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jun 20, 2005