    and save. The computer will not restart after I make the changes until I
    turn it off and on again. I just replaced the battery and it continues with
    the same problem. Any Ideas, thanks in advance.

    Pete, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Pete wrote:

    > I have a 450 speed computer running on windows XP and every time I turn
    > the computer on the speed has been set to 300 and the date is sometime in
    > 1998. I go into CMOS and make the changes back to 450 with the right date
    > and exit
    > and save. The computer will not restart after I make the changes until I
    > turn it off and on again. I just replaced the battery and it continues
    > with
    > the same problem. Any Ideas, thanks in advance.

    Make sure the battery you replaced is good and seated properly. My bet is
    that it's not, since you describe classic "dead CMOS battery" symptoms.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Pete

    °Mike° Guest

    Maybe the battery you bought was a dud. In any case, I'd
    check that you have inserted it the correct way, and possibly
    try another.

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:20:03 -0500, in
    <>
    Pete scrawled:

    >I have a 450 speed computer running on windows XP and every time I turn the
    >computer on the speed has been set to 300 and the date is sometime in 1998.
    >I go into CMOS and make the changes back to 450 with the right date and exit
    >and save. The computer will not restart after I make the changes until I
    >turn it off and on again. I just replaced the battery and it continues with
    >the same problem. Any Ideas, thanks in advance.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Pete

    John Holmes Guest

    °Mike° came up with this:

    > Maybe the battery you bought was a dud. In any case, I'd
    > check that you have inserted it the correct way, and possibly
    > try another.

    Yeah, I always change batteries when they are corroded.

    --
    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Pete

    DH Guest

    I agree with these other gentlemen. Only I would have you look for one more
    thing. Sometimes, even though the battery is seated properly and everything
    seems okay, the little tongue that holds the battery in place and completes
    the circuit, doesn't put enough pressure on the battery, for a good
    connection. I've had to bend them slightly to get a good connection.

    DH, Nov 12, 2003