CMOS problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cachilu, Aug 16, 2006.

1. cachilu

cachilu

I have a real problem. My computer was working properly fine, but suddenly started to turn off very often. I've already replaced components with new parts: motherboard, processor, memory, hdd and the case. And it does do the same thing!!!! Also, I've changed the power supply, power cables and connections.

Is there a virus or code that changes CMOS settings? Because, when I restart the system, the following message appears: "The CMOS settings have changed, enter setup" or something like that.

Two days ago, I bought a new HDD, and I installed the OS from the very beggining, and guess what... yeah, my PC turned off once again.

I'm starting to get really nuts with this problem... I've changed my hardware completely.

Any suggestions?

cachilu, Aug 16, 2006
    1. Advertising

2. cachilu

bigal

You should scan for spyware with something like "Spy Sweeper" or "Spybot Search and Destroy" to see in you have malware on your system. Also, CMOS settings shouldn't change by themselves unless your CMOS battery is dead - which can happen after 1-2 years of use. Replace the battery to rule this one out. I suggest you get into the BIOS during the boot process (usually hitting the delete key early on just after you see the information start to be displayed) and look for the power options. Check to make sure your machine isn't automatically trying to reboot after power failure, and if you are overclocking it, make sure you have it set to "halt on no errors".

Sudden loss of power or instable operation typically will be caused by a PSU that isn't able to support the load properly. You replaced the PSU, but did you buy a high quality / high output PSU? Decent PSU's cost at least $75 USD. You won't get a good one for $25 USD.

bigal, Aug 21, 2006
    1. Advertising