    I'm just going through MM's All-in-One
    exam guide and wanted to surf around 95 again.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    bopper2, May 4, 2005

  2. bopper2

    bopper2 Guest

    > Jasonwrote:
    It shouldnt be a bios problem as the partitions as there held on the
    hard
    > drive nothing to do with bios, more than likley a faulty hard drive

    or
    > motherboard.
    > On the other hand has the bios got onboard virus detection as

    sometimes ive
    > seen this stop it writing a parttition table to the hard drive ,

    even if it
    > says its has.
    > Has the cdrom drive been detected in the bios at all ?
    >
    > Misstated "established by BIOS" just meant C: being established on

    the
    > drive. I did mention that the drive is good. How would this be a

    MOBO issue? IDE Controller? Virus detection has been disabled. Cd is
    not detected (it's an old 95 MOBO. Must establish connection with
    startup disk.
    > I have done this but I think because drive c is not assigned, drive

    d can't be assigned either. Thanks for your response. Any further
    info would be appreciated.

    > "bopper2" <-spam.invalid> wrote in

    message
    > I've revived an old 95 box and put an old 250MBHD in (I know it's
    > good, was able to partition and format on an XP). When I start

    setup,
    > BIOS auto detects Ok. Save settings and reboot to A:. Fdisk primary
    > partion and everthing is going smooth. Make it active and that's

    ok.
    > The problem is when I reboot to format FAT 16, there is no drive C!
    > I've tried every way from Sunday to figure out what's going on.
    > Reset BIOS, Etc. There is a secondary problem with finding the
    > CDrom, but I've got the Oakcdrom.sys and have edited Config.sys and
    > Autoexec.bat and the drivers are found but the drive itself can't

    be
    > found. I'm summizing this is because a drive C has not been
    > established by BIOS. There is no practical reason to get this box

    up.

    bopper2, May 4, 2005

  3. bopper2

    AG Guest

    Are you using a Win95 boot disk?

    AG

    AG, May 4, 2005
  4. bopper2

    bopper2 Guest

    Yes I am using a modified 95 startup disk. I've copied mscdex.sys and
    oakcdrom.sys to it as well as modified the config and autoexec. I've
    tried a 98 boot disk as well. Still not saving a c partition on the
    drive. My cmos/bios comments previously are mentioned because I'm
    wondering if BIOS doesn't see drive c, the startup disk aborts the
    boot because it can't find drive d (cdrom) and returns to the a
    prompt ready to start all over again. The headscratcher here is why
    the created partition and active partition in fdisk do not survive
    reboot!

    bopper2, May 5, 2005
  5. bopper2

    bopper2 Guest

    Re: Fdisk not saving Partition

    Appreciate your response, however if you read the first line you'll
    notice it's a 250 MB drive. It is good and has been formatted in an
    xp environment. No data is on the drive. I'm not concerned with data
    loss.
    It has been partitioned as normal not LBA. FDISK reports 243 MB for
    partition and reports a successful partition and activation. It just
    will not show up as drive c after reboot. Yes, I have tried format c:
    /s. Still get the message "invalid drive specification"

    bopper2, May 5, 2005
  6. Re: Fdisk not saving Partition

    IS there any way to format the drive on another computer then use it?

    the_angry_monkey, May 5, 2005
  7. Re: Fdisk not saving Partition

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:11:55 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >The point is still being missed.
    >
    >This was stated as being "an old Windows 95 box". Old computers cannot
    >deal with drives larger than 137 (decimal) gigabytes.
    >
    >PERIOD.

    To requote...
    >"notice it's a 250 >>>MB<<< drive".

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 5, 2005
  8. bopper2

    bopper2 Guest

    Re: Fdisk not saving Partition

    Thank you Tom! It is 250 MB (megabyte) The box used to have a 1.6 GB
    in it. So I know the hardware will support 250MB. I might try two
    partitions though. J

    bopper2, May 5, 2005
  9. bopper2

    bopper2 Guest

    Re: Fdisk not saving Partition

    Appreciate eveyone's input here, but I'm moving on. I've got my hands
    on a 500MHz MOBO with 128MB ram for a few bucks and will use that for
    my new sandbox for Win98. Good riddens 95! The issue here, I think, is
    the hook from the using the 95 startup disk to fdisk and when
    rebooting looks for Win95 on the cd..can't find drive D, so aborts
    the process and goes back to the A prompt to do it all over again. It
    sounds wierd, but I can partition this drive on any 98 or xp machine
    just fine. It was a good exercise to play with, but not a real world
    scenario..at least I hope..that I will have to deal with in the
    field.

    bopper2, May 6, 2005
  10. Re: Fdisk not saving Partition

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:10:55 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >Ok, my bad.

    Been there and done that too. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 6, 2005
  11. bopper2 wrote:
    > I've revived an old 95 box and put an old 250MBHD in (I know it's
    > good, was able to partition and format on an XP). When I start setup,
    > BIOS auto detects Ok. Save settings and reboot to A:. Fdisk primary
    > partion and everthing is going smooth. Make it active and that's ok.
    > The problem is when I reboot to format FAT 16, there is no drive C!
    > I've tried every way from Sunday to figure out what's going on.
    > Reset BIOS, Etc. There is a secondary problem with finding the
    > CDrom, but I've got the Oakcdrom.sys and have edited Config.sys and
    > Autoexec.bat and the drivers are found but the drive itself can't be
    > found. I'm summizing this is because a drive C has not been
    > established by BIOS. There is no practical reason to get this box up.
    > I'm just going through MM's All-in-One
    > exam guide and wanted to surf around 95 again.
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Are the jumpers set correctly on the drive?
    -max

    What's in a Name?, May 7, 2005
  12. bopper2

    bopper2 Guest

    Re: Fdisk not saving Partition

    Billy, Yes made sure it was Normal. It was auto detected as normal.
    To followup with all suggestions posted here, I was able to contact
    the manufacturer of the box (very lucky) who told me I'm screwed
    without the original hard drive that came with the machine. Specific
    hooks to the cd are in the boot sector and point to .cab files on the
    cdrom for setup to initialize.
    Wasn't able to tell me exactly why c partition was not saved but
    suspected, as I did, that the whole process failed because setup
    didn't initialize. He also mentioned that there is a way to get it to
    work, but requires some tricky extractions and a partitioned drive
    ready for a system. Hard to do because early 95 software made this so
    difficult. And
    fdisk wouldn't recognize fat 16 partitions created in xp or 98. He
    didn't know how exactly..said to find a 95 guru and buy him a good
    breakfast!
    I created a few different boot disks with
    most of the driver and device pointers..just couldn't get to
    installing the .cab files on the hard drive.
    Anyway, I'll work with 98 again and hope no one with the first release
    of 95 wants a clean install of the OS.
    Feedback appreciated.

    bopper2, May 9, 2005
  13. bopper2

    bopper2 Guest

    Re: Fdisk not saving Partition

    For anyone interested...I was able to get the "old 95 box" to work and
    load Win 95 from the CD. I just kept thinking about it from time to
    time and decided to replace the CD Rom with one I knew I could find
    info on. After finding the device name, (looked in the drivers readme
    file of the OEM98 disk that came with that particular CD Rom) the
    Oakcdrom.sys driver was used but had a very unique D: assignment to
    that device. (Should have done this first..learned my lesson).
    Generic doesn't always work. Especially for a real mode driver.
    Edited a 95 startup disk config.sys with Oakcdrom.sys, device and
    then autoexec.bat with MSCDEX pointer. Ok, ready to try. But...Still
    wasn't sure about the c: partition.
    The failure was always because the CD ROM wasn't found, so I
    disconnected the cd rom and booted to A:..ran
    fdisk|partition|activate
    -reboot and bingo! Prompted C: and formated with the /s switch.
    Reconfigured the cd rom to slave on the primary IDE and ran
    setup....set
    primary slave to AUTO.
    Rebooted with new 95 startup disk and Win95 in the CD rom and "all was
    right with the world".
    Drive D: was available to run setup from within the Win95
    directory(key issue..would not run setup directly from the D:root).
    (OEM)

    Now I have windows 95 to play with! Woopie!
    Hope I've not bored anyone with this. It helps to rethink it through
    while
    writing it down to remember the process.
    It wasn't the destination so much as the journey that makes it
    worthwhile.

    bopper2, May 12, 2005