    any help would be greatly appreciated. i was thinking that maybe the
    battery that the clock running when the pc is shut off is dying. tia for
    any and all suggestions

    Hannibal Hayes, May 4, 2006

  2. Hannibal Hayes

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:48:18 GMT, Hannibal Hayes
    <> wrote:

    >hi.
    >when i try to boot my pc i get 2 types of errors , one is the cmos checksum
    >error and the second is one that says unknown flash type. this usually
    >prevents a boot and the pc just stalls before it gets to the windows
    >the clock is reset to an earlier date. anyone have any solutions on this?
    >any help would be greatly appreciated. i was thinking that maybe the
    >battery that the clock running when the pc is shut off is dying. tia for
    >any and all suggestions

    It sounds like your CMOS battery on the motherboard needs replaced. Do that
    first, and if that doesn't fix it, as a *last* resort, try flashing your BIOS.

    You should be able to replace the battery almost anywhere. My local jeweler has
    them. So does WalMart and Radio Shack. Take the old battery with you to make
    sure you match it.

    Also, your shift key appears to be broken.

    --
    There is a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.
    --Edmund Burke

    Mara, May 4, 2006

  3. Mara <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:48:18 GMT, Hannibal Hayes
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>hi.
    >>when i try to boot my pc i get 2 types of errors , one is the cmos
    >>checksum error and the second is one that says unknown flash type.
    >>this usually prevents a boot and the pc just stalls before it gets to
    >>the windows loading screen. if i do manage to get it to boot up
    >>windows after many trys the clock is reset to an earlier date. anyone
    >>have any solutions on this? any help would be greatly appreciated. i
    >>was thinking that maybe the battery that the clock running when the pc
    >>is shut off is dying. tia for any and all suggestions

    > It sounds like your CMOS battery on the motherboard needs replaced. Do
    > that first, and if that doesn't fix it, as a *last* resort, try
    > flashing your BIOS.
    >
    > You should be able to replace the battery almost anywhere. My local
    > jeweler has them. So does WalMart and Radio Shack. Take the old
    > battery with you to make sure you match it.
    >
    > Also, your shift key appears to be broken.

    thank you. i had a hunch that it could be the battery.i have been looking
    for a program that would check that. no luck so far. and as for my shift
    key , its because i had an unfortunate accident with my shift key finger
    as a small boy. ; P

    Hannibal Hayes, May 4, 2006
  4. Hannibal Hayes

    Vanguard Guest

    "Hannibal Hayes" <> wrote in message
    > Mara <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hannibal Hayes wrote:
    >>
    >> Also, your shift key appears to be broken.

    > ... and as for my shift
    > key , its because i had an unfortunate accident with my shift key
    > finger
    > as a small boy. ; P

    On both hands? Bummer.

    Vanguard, May 4, 2006
  5. Hannibal Hayes

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 04 May 2006 00:33:59 GMT, Hannibal Hayes
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >thank you. i had a hunch that it could be the battery.i have been looking
    >for a program that would check that. no luck so far. and as for my shift
    >key , its because i had an unfortunate accident with my shift key finger
    >as a small boy. ; P

    Don't bother with a program. I've never seen a CMOS battery that cost more than
    about $3, so just go get one. Replacing the battery you have with a fresh one
    *certainly* won't hurt anything.

    Unfortunately, it seems the "unfortunate accident" just might be allowing you on
    a keyboard, since you don't appear to know how to use one. Your posts are quite
    hard to read without any effort on your part at readability, so I won't bother
    again.

    "If you don't want to end up looking like the people referred to in the links
    Jimchip and I were just discussing, I suggest you make the effort."

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, May 4, 2006
  6. Hannibal Hayes

    Ben Myers Guest

    Go into the BIOS setup, then find and select "Restore defaults". Be sure to
    save the change when exiting. On the "Unknown flash type" error, please
    repost with more information, including when the error message occurs
    and the operating system installed on the affected computer.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, May 5, 2006