CMOS Checksum bad

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by stuacoo@aol.com, Mar 25, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Ok so i admit ive done something very wrong here. Hopefully someone
    can shed some light on what to do next.

    I used the AFUWIN utility to flash my bios to the latest version from
    my motherboard website (ECS)

    All appeared to go well until i restarted my computer. I am now
    presented with the following error on boot

    CMOS Checksum bad
    CMOS date/time not set

    I then proceeded to correct the date and time and save the changes,
    then when the bios utility closes, the screen goes blank and nothing
    happens.

    So then powered off the PC, moved the CMOS jumper to clear for 30
    seconds and switched back on only to be presented with the same
    problem.

    My Motherboard is ECS P4M890T-M
    Processor P4 2.66D

    Many Thanks

    Stewart
    , Mar 25, 2007

  2. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Ok so i admit ive done something very wrong here. Hopefully someone
    > can shed some light on what to do next.
    >
    > I used the AFUWIN utility to flash my bios to the latest version from
    > my motherboard website (ECS)
    >
    > All appeared to go well until i restarted my computer. I am now
    > presented with the following error on boot
    >
    > CMOS Checksum bad
    > CMOS date/time not set
    >
    > I then proceeded to correct the date and time and save the changes,
    > then when the bios utility closes, the screen goes blank and nothing
    > happens.
    >
    > So then powered off the PC, moved the CMOS jumper to clear for 30
    > seconds and switched back on only to be presented with the same
    > problem.
    >
    > My Motherboard is ECS P4M890T-M
    > Processor P4 2.66D

    Try again.
    D/load page here.
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads/Category_Download.aspx?MenuID=6&LanID=8
    meerkat, Mar 25, 2007

  3. Buffalo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Ok so i admit ive done something very wrong here. Hopefully someone
    > can shed some light on what to do next.
    >
    > I used the AFUWIN utility to flash my bios to the latest version from
    > my motherboard website (ECS)
    >
    > All appeared to go well until i restarted my computer. I am now
    > presented with the following error on boot
    >
    > CMOS Checksum bad
    > CMOS date/time not set
    >
    > I then proceeded to correct the date and time and save the changes,
    > then when the bios utility closes, the screen goes blank and nothing
    > happens.
    >
    > So then powered off the PC, moved the CMOS jumper to clear for 30
    > seconds and switched back on only to be presented with the same
    > problem.
    >
    > My Motherboard is ECS P4M890T-M
    > Processor P4 2.66D

    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Stewart

    Got this from the ECS forum:
    http://forums.hexus.net/forumdisplay.php?f=84
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?s=d54b1f4d2cadf5430ada32af7f1f5581&t=93943
    "How to update BIOS (the secure way)....
    Please follow below rules to securely update your BIOS.

    Do not update the BIOS if:
    1. memtst86+ fails. (http://www.memtest.org/)
    2. You are not sure which PCB you have. Contact our support first.
    3. You downloaded the BIOS from non ECS Elitegroup websites.
    4. Windows is not stable.
    5. Virus and Spyware protection software is loaded.
    6. Computer is infected by Virus and/or Spyware.

    How to update in DOS Mode
    1. Create a bootable floppy disk (http://www.bootdisk.com).
    2. Check floppy disk for bad sectors and replace the it if necessary.
    3. Extract the BIOS file and the Flashutiliy to the floppy disk.
    4. Boot from floppy disk to DOS prompt.
    5. update the BIOS:

    * AMI BIOS
    type "amiflash biosname.rom /p /b /n /c"
    * Phoenix AWARD BIOS
    type "awardflash biosname.bin /Wb /cc /cp /cd"

    6. Reboot the computer when finished
    7. Enter the BIOS and load "Default/Optimized Settings"
    8. Now safe and exit the BIOS.

    You can also use USB memory stick or bootable CD.

    How to update in WindowsXP/2000
    coming soon.
    ECS Elitegroup TSD

    Perhaps you can go to their website and/or the forum I posted a link to and
    receive some help.
    You could also try posting in the ECS motherboard newsgroup:

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup

    If you do post again, please state what OS you are using.

    Here is another place to look:
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=91387&highlight=bad flash

    Hopefully this will get you headed in the right direction.

    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Buffalo Guest

    This is from the link I posted earlier.
    ie: http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=91387&highlight=bad flash
    " Jussi
    ECS EU BV

    Jussi's Avatar

    The solution is posted above. The BIOS on websites are already replaced.
    If you cannot get it to work again with above solution fill in the "Support
    Form" here:
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Sup...uID=19&LanID=8

    We will then provide another solution."

    Buffalo, Mar 25, 2007