    cause some cable to get undone that could cause this.

    Any ideas?

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Feb 25, 2004

  2. mark  mandel

    TigerHawk Guest

    mark mandel wrote:
    > At first I knew something was amiss when I couldn't access the BIOS when I
    > held down the DEL key(which is the way it's done on my system). Thinking
    > this was a CMOS related issue, I then decided to clear the CMOS by moving
    > the jumper pins from the 1-2 position (as mentioned in the motherboard
    > manual)to th 2-3 and then back to the 1-2 after I had removed the powercord.
    > I also removed the CMOS battery even though I'd heard it wasn't necessary.
    >
    > Well, after this was done and I turned on the PC, and there's now nothing,
    > no booting to the POST, no beeps, and shutting down the PC even takes longer
    > than before.
    > I only put this system together, an ASUS A7N8X-X, about a month ago. And
    > I've checked and double all connections to make sure I didn't accidentally
    > cause some cable to get undone that could cause this.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Mark Mandell

    I have did quite a bit of looking (as I am sure you have too). I did
    find that this a problem this motherboard can experience, however the
    only solution I found was getting help from Asus. But when he got the
    BIOS fixed it started again within a few months. All the problems I
    found seemed to affect boards with BIOS ver. 1002. A lot of them was a
    mistake made in flashing the BIOS. However, some cases did exist that
    the BIOS just died. Since you said that shutting down takes longer I
    assume you still can boot into your OS. If hitting DEL a few times at
    the moment of boot doesn't get you into your BIOS, I would call ASUS.
    Best of luck.

    TigerHawk

    TigerHawk, Feb 25, 2004

  3. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    "TigerHawk" <> wrote in message
    > mark mandel wrote:
    > > At first I knew something was amiss when I couldn't access the BIOS when

    > > held down the DEL key(which is the way it's done on my system).

    Thinking
    > > this was a CMOS related issue, I then decided to clear the CMOS by

    moving
    > > the jumper pins from the 1-2 position (as mentioned in the motherboard
    > > manual)to th 2-3 and then back to the 1-2 after I had removed the

    powercord.
    > > I also removed the CMOS battery even though I'd heard it wasn't

    necessary.

    > > Well, after this was done and I turned on the PC, and there's now

    nothing,
    > > no booting to the POST, no beeps, and shutting down the PC even takes

    longer
    > > than before.
    > > I only put this system together, an ASUS A7N8X-X, about a month ago.

    And
    > > I've checked and double all connections to make sure I didn't

    accidentally
    > > cause some cable to get undone that could cause this.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Mark Mandell
    > >

    > I have did quite a bit of looking (as I am sure you have too). I did
    > find that this a problem this motherboard can experience, however the
    > only solution I found was getting help from Asus. But when he got the
    > BIOS fixed it started again within a few months. All the problems I
    > found seemed to affect boards with BIOS ver. 1002. A lot of them was a
    > mistake made in flashing the BIOS. However, some cases did exist that
    > the BIOS just died. Since you said that shutting down takes longer I
    > assume you still can boot into your OS. If hitting DEL a few times at
    > the moment of boot doesn't get you into your BIOS, I would call ASUS.
    > Best of luck.
    >

    > TigerHawk

    Thanks for the prompt reply. Today I took the machine to the place where I
    bought the motherboard, cpu, video card and memory from. A tech there is
    gonna check it and get back to me. If the mobo's dead, I'll just get a
    replacement.

    He thinks it could be the memory, perhaps because there's continuous beeps
    once I turn the PC on. I'm rather skeptical of that since this happened
    right after I did the CMOS resetting and someone on another website
    commented about occasional BIOS access problems with the ASUS mobo's.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Feb 26, 2004