    start/run then cmd then ping followed by numbers and waits to get a
    response. What is these numbers following ping and what is the
    response. Thanks in advance. Ism
    ism, Oct 8, 2007

  2. ism

    why? Guest

    why?, Oct 8, 2007

  3. ism

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "ism" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dear Friends,
    > When repairing my DSL internet connection, the adminstrator used the
    > start/run then cmd then ping followed by numbers and waits to get a
    > response. What is these numbers following ping and what is the
    > response. Thanks in advance. Ism

    Ping is a simple network test tool. It sends a message to another device on
    the network and if it gets a reply back then it demonstrates that there is
    network connectivity. The reply is simply an acknowledgement that the
    message was received. The numbers were the "IP address". Mostly when you
    surf the internet (or connect your email or post to this newsgroup) you use
    names not numbers, but those names are translated to numbers by "DNS". You
    can ping a name or if you ping by number it avoids the name lookup. So "ping
    69.89.27.255" and "ping cryer.info" are the roughly equivalent - if the
    first works then you know you are talking to the internet okay, but if the
    second fails then there is a DNS issue.

    Ping is a great network diagnostic tool. You should be able to ping almost
    anything on the network, but be aware that some devices are configured not
    to respond to a ping.

    Hope that helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Oct 8, 2007
  4. ism

    VanguardLH Guest

    "ism" wrote in message
    > Dear Friends,
    > When repairing my DSL internet connection, the adminstrator used the
    > start/run then cmd then ping followed by numbers and waits to get a
    > response. What is these numbers following ping and what is the
    > response. Thanks in advance. Ism

    Run "ping /?" or "ping -h" (depends on your OS which you never
    mentioned).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

    Your OS, whatever it is that you did not bother to mention, doesn't
    include help files?
    VanguardLH, Oct 8, 2007