    Windows XP
    512 mgs ram
    AMD 2000

    Irwin Opper, Mar 26, 2005

  2. Irwin Opper

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Irwin Opper" <> wrote:

    >Hi !,
    >
    >I'm installing a 200 gig hard drive. Does anybody know what the ideal clusters per block should be?
    >
    >TIA,
    >Irwin Opper
    >ijopper@adelphia .net
    >
    >Windows XP
    >512 mgs ram
    >AMD 2000

    If you are using the entire drive as one NTFS partition then the
    default cluster size of 4K is ideal.

    If you want to create a FAT32 partition then there is no "ideal"
    cluster size for a 200 gb partition. The maximum practical partition
    size for FAT32 is 128 binary gb (137 billion bytes) using a 32K
    cluster size, which results in 4.1 million total clusters in the
    partition. Clusters sizes larger than 32K are not supported on FAT32
    and partitions with more than 4.1 million total clusters are not
    maintainable because Scandisk and Defrag will not operate on these
    partitions.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Irwin Opper

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:43:36 -0500, Irwin Opper wrote:

    >Hi !,
    >
    >I'm installing a 200 gig hard drive. Does anybody know what the ideal clusters per block should be?

    Besides using the default, no.

    FAT/NTFS?

    Similar questions asked before. Try,
    <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/search?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk&q=xp+ntfs+cluster+size>
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?M244231CA

    Size Limitations in NTFS and FAT File Systems / File Systems Intro.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?U32422118

    http://www.ntfs.com/

    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_optimization.htm
    There are several factors (we do not mention here drive type, rpm ...)
    that affect the NTFS Performance: Cluster Size, location and
    fragmentation of Master File Table (MFT) and paging file, NTFS Volume
    compression, NTFS Volume Source (created or converted from existing FAT
    volume).

    >TIA,
    >Irwin Opper
    >ijopper@adelphia .net
    >
    >Windows XP
    >512 mgs ram
    >AMD 2000

    Me

    why?, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Irwin Opper

    philo Guest

    Irwin Opper wrote:
    > Hi !,
    >
    > I'm installing a 200 gig hard drive. Does anybody know what the ideal
    > clusters per block should be?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Irwin Opper
    > ijopper@adelphia .net
    >
    > Windows XP
    > 512 mgs ram
    > AMD 2000

    use NTFS and the drive can be used at the full 200gigs if you wish

    Fat32 would reqire 32gig partitions or less for best cluster size
    but it's not recommended...nor can XP create larger fat32 partitions
    without a 3rd party utility

    philo, Mar 26, 2005
  5. Irwin Opper

    Irwin Opper Guest

    Thank you all for your comments.

    Irwin Opper

    Irwin Opper, Mar 26, 2005
  6. Irwin Opper wrote:

    ><HTML><HEAD>

    There is help here:

    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/nobin.html.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 26, 2005
  7. Irwin Opper

    DC Guest

    http://www.efn.no/html-bad.html