Clunk Clunk HDD? (1 Solution)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by R.Padmakumar, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. R.Padmakumar

    R.Padmakumar Guest

    Hi,

    I got all the data back. I tried the technique of keeping the HDD
    in to the freezer (max freezing point) for 2 days packed (airtight) in
    a plastic cover (with tight ropes on the package). After the HDD got a
    dead cool temperature, I connected it and found that my PC detected
    the HDD (now i heard un-interpretable noises from the HDD).. "GREAT"..
    my Win2k booted up and i am lucky to copy all the necessary data into
    my secondary HDD.

    But the HDD stucked up 2 3 times and I used the same freezer
    technique to recover the remaining data. Dont remove the plastic cover
    over the HDD while you connect to your PC. make a opening at the
    connector end of the HDD or better place the HDD in a tight thermocool
    box in order to keep the coolness while the HD is in operation. After
    doing this, i found that the HDD is running for more than 2 hours
    without any problem.

    Also I found that, the previous click-ckick has created lot of bad
    sectors (i got many CRC errors in many files, while i am copying
    files).

    While you are taking bkup, remember the following.
    - dont overload the HDD by doing more than one copy.
    - but try to copy the needed files as quick as possible.
    - do not try to write the data in a CD or some other slow writing
    media, as this may take more time and ur HD might stop at any time.

    If you succeed in this HD freezing technique, it is like you are
    just lucky to retrieve the needed data and do it AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE.
    it is something like you have got the GOD's grace.. LOL.. (if u r not
    an atheist)

    I found this HDD freezing technique worked with some other HD also
    (i saw in some forums).. But I am not clear about why this dead HDD
    (sometimes) works under very cool temperature.

    I am very eager to know about the technical details.

    Thanks
    R.Padmakumar

    R.Padmakumar, Nov 23, 2004

  2. R.Padmakumar

    Parko Guest

    R.Padmakumar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I got all the data back. I tried the technique of keeping the HDD
    > in to the freezer (max freezing point) for 2 days packed (airtight) in
    > a plastic cover (with tight ropes on the package). After the HDD got a
    > dead cool temperature, I connected it and found that my PC detected
    > the HDD (now i heard un-interpretable noises from the HDD).. "GREAT"..
    > my Win2k booted up and i am lucky to copy all the necessary data into
    > my secondary HDD.
    >
    > But the HDD stucked up 2 3 times and I used the same freezer
    > technique to recover the remaining data. Dont remove the plastic cover
    > over the HDD while you connect to your PC. make a opening at the
    > connector end of the HDD or better place the HDD in a tight thermocool
    > box in order to keep the coolness while the HD is in operation. After
    > doing this, i found that the HDD is running for more than 2 hours
    > without any problem.
    >
    > Also I found that, the previous click-ckick has created lot of bad
    > sectors (i got many CRC errors in many files, while i am copying
    > files).
    >
    > While you are taking bkup, remember the following.
    > - dont overload the HDD by doing more than one copy.
    > - but try to copy the needed files as quick as possible.
    > - do not try to write the data in a CD or some other slow writing
    > media, as this may take more time and ur HD might stop at any time.
    >
    > If you succeed in this HD freezing technique, it is like you are
    > just lucky to retrieve the needed data and do it AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE.
    > it is something like you have got the GOD's grace.. LOL.. (if u r not
    > an atheist)
    >
    > I found this HDD freezing technique worked with some other HD also
    > (i saw in some forums).. But I am not clear about why this dead HDD
    > (sometimes) works under very cool temperature.
    >
    > I am very eager to know about the technical details.
    >
    > Thanks
    > R.Padmakumar

    If the read/write heads are coming into contact with the platters of the
    HD, then freezing will make the components shrink slightly: therefore no
    contact. As the HD returns to room temperature the HD components expand
    ever so slightly, and the problem returns. I'm talking micro-millimetres
    here.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345