Clueless

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Joanie, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. Joanie

    Joanie Guest

    I freely admit that I'm a total technophobe and have a very limited
    knowledge - unlike most of you. My husband was very technically minded
    but sadly he's now passed away so I sit here most of the time with
    thumb in mouth not knowing what to do.

    I'm about to buy a new computer and also a dvd recorder. I want to be
    able to download images from my digital camera onto the computer then
    to burn them onto a disc in order to view these photos on the
    television. What technical jargon do I need to look out for from a DVD
    player/recorder? The choices for the computer are:

    48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
    48x CDRW and 16x DVD-ROM
    8x/4x DVD+R/+RW
    8x/4x DVD+R/+RW and 48 x CDROM
    8x/4x DVD+R/+RW and 16x DVD
    16X DVD+RW
    16x DVD+R/+RW and 48 x CDROM
    16x DVD+R/+RW and 16x DVD

    I would be extremely grateful for any helpful information as I seem to
    be lost in a forest of technical jargon.

    Joanie, Jul 31, 2004

  2. Joanie

    Galley Guest

    On 31 Jul 2004 10:02:08 -0700, (Joanie) spewed
    forth these words of wisdom:

    >I freely admit that I'm a total technophobe and have a very limited
    >knowledge - unlike most of you. My husband was very technically minded
    >but sadly he's now passed away so I sit here most of the time with
    >thumb in mouth not knowing what to do.
    >
    >I'm about to buy a new computer and also a dvd recorder. I want to be
    >able to download images from my digital camera onto the computer then
    >to burn them onto a disc in order to view these photos on the
    >television. What technical jargon do I need to look out for from a DVD
    >player/recorder? The choices for the computer are:
    >

    >16x DVD+R/+RW and 48 x CDROM

    I would choose this one because it offers the best DVD-burning speed, and it has
    a good old-fashioned CD-ROM that could be used to read hybrid Super Audio CDs.
    From what I have read, 16x is pretty much the physical limit for DVD-burning, so
    don't expect to see a faster drive is months down the road. Likewise,
    CD-burning's barrier is approx. 48x.
    Depending on the software that comes with your PC, you may want to invest in an
    all-around burning suite such as Nero 6 Ultra Edition. http://www.nero.com/
    Many stand-alone DVD players will display JPEG's, and for that a CD-R should be
    plenty, as it will hold hundreds and hundreds of images.

    Galley

    Galley, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Joanie

    Jay G Guest

    Galley <> wrote:
    > On 31 Jul 2004 10:02:08 -0700,
    > What technical jargon do I need to look out for from a
    >> DVD player/recorder? The choices for the computer are:
    >>

    >> 16x DVD+R/+RW and 48 x CDROM

    > I would choose this one because it offers the best DVD-burning
    > speed, and it has a good old-fashioned CD-ROM that could be used to
    > read hybrid Super Audio CDs. From what I have read, 16x is pretty
    > much the physical limit for DVD-burning, so don't expect to see a
    > faster drive is months down the road. Likewise, CD-burning's
    > barrier is approx. 48x.

    That's not a CD burner though, just a CD-ROM.

    Let's look at the list again:

    48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
    48x CDRW and 16x DVD-ROM
    8x/4x DVD+R/+RW
    8x/4x DVD+R/+RW and 48 x CDROM
    8x/4x DVD+R/+RW and 16x DVD
    16X DVD+RW
    16x DVD+R/+RW and 48 x CDROM
    16x DVD+R/+RW and 16x DVD

    DVD burners will be able to read and write CDs, so
    you don't need to worry about a CDRW drive, which
    elminates the first 2. All the descriptions with "and" in
    it mean that you get a second drive of whatever's after
    the "and." A second drive is handy if you're going to be
    copying discs, but otherwise not necessary. The
    drives listed as DVD-ROM or just DVD are not burners.

    The difference between a DVD+R and DVD+RW is
    that DVD+R is permanent, while DVD+RW is rewritable,
    meaning you can erase the disc and record something
    new on it. RW discs are more expensive though.

    The "8x/4x" and "16x" are burning speeds, meaning they
    burn so many times faster than the speed at which a DVD
    is read by a DVD player. So, going for just the fastest
    DVD burner, I'd chose a 16x DVD+R/+RW. I don't
    know if the one listed as "16X DVD+RW" is a DVD+R
    burner as well. It most likely is, though you may want
    to double check with the seller.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Joanie

    Galley Guest

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:27:50 -0500, "Jay G" <> spewed forth these
    words of wisdom:

    >That's not a CD burner though, just a CD-ROM.

    Hybrid SACDs cannot be read in DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drives; only in CD-RW or CD-ROM
    drives. I guess I'm just "special". ;-)

    Galley

    Galley, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Joanie

    Jay G Guest

    Galley <> wrote:

    > Hybrid SACDs cannot be read in DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drives; only in
    > CD-RW or CD-ROM drives. I guess I'm just "special". ;-)

    Not according to this thread:
    http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/514/514

    Notable quotes:
    "No drive in a personal computer can play back the SACD layer of a disc,
    period."

    "Some SACDs will not play on some computer players. I have a Pioneer
    104s DVD (slot loading) dvd-rom drive. Dark Side of the Moon plays just
    fine, while Sting's Sacred Love.... does not play."

    -Jay

    Jay G, Aug 3, 2004
  6. Joanie

    Galley Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:20:45 -0500, "Jay G" <> spewed forth these
    words of wisdom:

    >Galley <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hybrid SACDs cannot be read in DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drives; only in
    >> CD-RW or CD-ROM drives. I guess I'm just "special". ;-)

    >Not according to this thread:
    >http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/514/514
    >
    >Notable quotes:
    > "No drive in a personal computer can play back the SACD layer of a disc,
    >period."
    >
    > "Some SACDs will not play on some computer players. I have a Pioneer
    > 104s DVD (slot loading) dvd-rom drive. Dark Side of the Moon plays just
    > fine, while Sting's Sacred Love.... does not play."
    >
    >-Jay

    Note that I said Hybrid SACDs. That means that the PC is reading the standard
    CD audio layer.

    Galley

    Galley, Aug 3, 2004
  7. Joanie

    Jay G Guest

    Galley <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:20:45 -0500, "Jay G" <> spewed
    > forth these words of wisdom:
    >
    >> Galley <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hybrid SACDs cannot be read in DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drives; only in
    >>> CD-RW or CD-ROM drives. I guess I'm just "special". ;-)

    >> Not according to this thread:
    >> http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/514/514
    >>
    >> Notable quotes:
    >> "No drive in a personal computer can play back the SACD layer
    >> of a disc, period."
    >>
    >> "Some SACDs will not play on some computer players. I have a
    >> Pioneer 104s DVD (slot loading) dvd-rom drive. Dark Side of the
    >> Moon plays just fine, while Sting's Sacred Love.... does not
    >> play."
    >>

    > Note that I said Hybrid SACDs. That means that the PC is reading
    > the standard CD audio layer.

    Note that the second quote says that some DVD-ROM drives can play
    at least *some* hybrid discs, again the standard CD audio layer. The
    thread I linked to, and other discussions on the web, also mention that
    even CD-ROM drives can have problems playing hybrid SACDs.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Aug 3, 2004
  8. Joanie

    Galley Guest

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 06:13:12 -0500, "Jay G" <> spewed forth these
    words of wisdom:

    >Note that the second quote says that some DVD-ROM drives can play
    >at least *some* hybrid discs, again the standard CD audio layer. The
    >thread I linked to, and other discussions on the web, also mention that
    >even CD-ROM drives can have problems playing hybrid SACDs.
    >
    >-Jay

    OK, this time I actually read the message board. ;-)
    I was able to play hybrid discs on a Sony DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive in a Sony
    VAIO laptop. I have never had one that could be read in a DVD-RW. I do have a
    Pioneer slot-loading DVD-ROM in another PC. I should try one in it. :)
    Luckily, my eMachines came with a good old-fashioned CD-ROM in addition to the
    DVD-RW.

    Galley

    Galley, Aug 4, 2004