    set up. Thanks
    --
    John
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBF?=, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Hi

    I do not know what a Smart Box is?

    However to share a single Internet connection with few computers you need a
    Router.

    The Modem connects to the Router and the Router has ports that can connect
    to the Network computer.

    I wrote the first two pages ages ago. You might ignore the prices, and the
    specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are still the
    same.

    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -

    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

    The whole thing should look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    If you Smart box is a Switch then connecting the Router to it would enable
    the Internet signal to go to the computers.

    Log to this site there is many pages that would explain how to go about the
    configuration, http://www.ezlan.net

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 22, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBF?=

    TW Guest

    My daughter has Comcast and ran into this problem. It seems like Comcast
    forces you to use their "install" CD to get a connection.

    This install process registers your MAC address with the modem, thus keeping
    all other computers on the home network from connecting to the modem.

    The solution (and this worked for me) is to use a router connected to the
    cable modem and clone the MAC address of the PC that you ran the install CD
    on. That way the cable modem thinks that only one PC is connected when in
    fact it is a router. Since all network traffic will pass through the router,
    all traffic will appear to the modem to have the same MAC address.

    I hope this helps.

    TW, Dec 22, 2005