Clueless at Columbia House <<Idle Hands>>

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Shinner, Jan 1, 2004.

  1. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    Ya'll,

    A week or so ago I posted a message here about the aspect ratio on the
    Idle Hands DVD release. I ordered one from CH, supposedly 2 sided FS/WS
    according to their website. It came, FS only. Contacted them, they said
    sorry, we'll send the right one out asap. Well, it came a couple days
    ago. Exactly the friggin same...FS Only. Emailed them and this is what
    the genius who replied had to say:

    ==============================
    A DVD can be offered in any one or all, of the formats mentioned below.

    A film may be Full Screen on one side and Widescreen
    on the reverse. In this instance, it is necessary to
    flip the disc to the desired viewing format.

    Please be informed that the selection IDLE HANDS is full screen on one
    side and wide screen on the reverse.
    ===============================

    Duh, no shit sherlock....don't ya think I would have looked on both
    sides? Don't ya think I would have noticed "IDLE HANDS" printed in big
    yellow letters on a red background on one side of the disc indicating
    that data was only one 1 side, not both? I should have asked them what
    kind of DVD player they have that will read through ink printed on the
    disc. What about the fact that I told you it says FULLSCREEN on the back
    cover, not FULLSCREEN and WIDESCREEN? Disregard all that and send me a BS
    email putting the onus back on me. Stupid fuckers. Idiots....just fucking
    idiots.

    I searched the net thinking maybe the Canadian release may be FS Only but
    it doesn't look like it. I don't know where CH is gettin these FS Only
    releases but they seem to be the only ones who have them.

    Shinner, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Shinner

    Moviezzz Guest

    IDLE HANDS has been reissued as a full screen only title. The original flipper
    disc is now out of print. The film is an open matte transfer though if that
    helps any.

    You can still find the flipper in stores (I saw it last week).

    CH probably only has the Full Screen now.

    Moviezzz, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Shinner

    Bur Guest

    Shinner <> wrote in message news:<3ff4a75e$0$22213$>...
    > Ya'll,
    >
    > A week or so ago I posted a message here about the aspect ratio on the
    > Idle Hands DVD release. I ordered one from CH, supposedly 2 sided FS/WS
    > according to their website. It came, FS only. Contacted them, they said
    > sorry, we'll send the right one out asap. Well, it came a couple days
    > ago. Exactly the friggin same...FS Only. Emailed them and this is what
    > the genius who replied had to say:
    >
    > ==============================
    > A DVD can be offered in any one or all, of the formats mentioned below.
    >
    > A film may be Full Screen on one side and Widescreen
    > on the reverse. In this instance, it is necessary to
    > flip the disc to the desired viewing format.
    >
    > Please be informed that the selection IDLE HANDS is full screen on one
    > side and wide screen on the reverse.
    > ===============================
    >
    > Duh, no shit sherlock....don't ya think I would have looked on both
    > sides? Don't ya think I would have noticed "IDLE HANDS" printed in big
    > yellow letters on a red background on one side of the disc indicating
    > that data was only one 1 side, not both? I should have asked them what
    > kind of DVD player they have that will read through ink printed on the
    > disc. What about the fact that I told you it says FULLSCREEN on the back
    > cover, not FULLSCREEN and WIDESCREEN? Disregard all that and send me a BS
    > email putting the onus back on me. Stupid fuckers. Idiots....just fucking
    > idiots.
    >
    > I searched the net thinking maybe the Canadian release may be FS Only but
    > it doesn't look like it. I don't know where CH is gettin these FS Only
    > releases but they seem to be the only ones who have them.

    Netflix lists Idle Hands as Screen Formats:
    "Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1
    Pan-and-Scan 1.33:1 "
    Apparently on the same disc. Legally Blonde 2 was a one sided FS & WS
    release, so it is possible. LB2 required you to select the AR in a
    menu setup screen. Check IH for menus. BTW, on the LB2 rental we had
    a problem watching the end of the FS AR. The WS was OK. So I suspect
    the WS was on the outside layer and less subject to problems. In
    general, I like releases with FS and WS both included.

    Bur, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Shinner

    Doonie Guest

    On 1 Jan 2004 17:06:28 -0600, Shinner wrote:

    >Don't ya think I would have noticed "IDLE HANDS" printed in big
    >yellow letters on a red background on one side of the disc indicating
    >that data was only one 1 side, not both? I should have asked them what
    >kind of DVD player they have that will read through ink printed on the
    >disc.

    Take a digital photo of the disc they sent you and ask if he can
    recommend any players that'll read through that artwork so you can
    view the widescreen version that he says is there. :)

    --
    Don't let your children watch television.

    Doonie, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Shinner

    Kram Sacul Guest

    ospam (Moviezzz) wrote in message news:<>...
    > IDLE HANDS has been reissued as a full screen only title. The original flipper
    > disc is now out of print. The film is an open matte transfer though if that
    > helps any.

    Slightly less evil but not by much.

    Kram Sacul, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Shinner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    > > IDLE HANDS has been reissued as a full screen only title. The
    > > original flipper disc is now out of print. The film is an open
    > > matte transfer though if that helps any.

    > Slightly less evil but not by much.

    Yeah, you could always mask off the top and bottom of the TV screen in
    an attempt to restore the original theatrical aspect ratio.

    But unless the open matte image is cropped down to at least 1.66:1, it
    cannot be made into an anamorphic DVD. This is the worst part of an open
    matte 4:3 image that has been "modified" to fill a 4:3 screen.

    Scot Gardner, Jan 2, 2004
  7. Shinner

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    ospam (Moviezzz) wrote in

    > IDLE HANDS has been reissued as a full screen only title. The
    > original flipper disc is now out of print. The film is an open matte
    > transfer though if that helps any.
    >
    > You can still find the flipper in stores (I saw it last week).
    >
    > CH probably only has the Full Screen now.

    Ahh, that explains it then...think they (CH) would know that and have the
    correct info on their website. Doesn't seem like they issued a new UPC for
    it though.

    I've seen the flipper in Best Buy before, but not bought it. CH had it for
    $10 recently and it counted towards fulfillment so I got it. But if all
    they have is FS, they can have it back.

    Shinner, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    (Bur) wrote in

    > Apparently on the same disc. Legally Blonde 2 was a one sided FS & WS
    > release, so it is possible. LB2 required you to select the AR in a
    > menu setup screen. Check IH for menus.

    That's what I did with the first one they sent me. I thought the box info
    was wrong, opened it, put it in and looked for a selection on the menu. Not
    there...

    Shinner, Jan 2, 2004
  10. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    Doonie <> wrote in

    > On 1 Jan 2004 17:06:28 -0600, Shinner wrote:
    >
    >>Don't ya think I would have noticed "IDLE HANDS" printed in big
    >>yellow letters on a red background on one side of the disc indicating
    >>that data was only one 1 side, not both? I should have asked them what
    >>kind of DVD player they have that will read through ink printed on the
    >>disc.

    > Take a digital photo of the disc they sent you and ask if he can
    > recommend any players that'll read through that artwork so you can
    > view the widescreen version that he says is there. :)

    I was gonna put that in the email, but already had enough wisecracks in
    there, so I figured I'd keep that as a backup plan :)

    Shinner, Jan 2, 2004
  11. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    Shinner <> wrote in

    > Ya'll,
    >
    > A week or so ago I posted a message here about the aspect ratio on the
    > Idle Hands DVD release. I ordered one from CH, supposedly 2 sided
    > FS/WS according to their website. It came, FS only. Contacted them,
    > they said sorry, we'll send the right one out asap. Well, it came a
    > couple days ago. Exactly the friggin same...FS Only. Emailed them and
    > this is what the genius who replied had to say:
    >
    > ==============================
    > A DVD can be offered in any one or all, of the formats mentioned
    > below.
    >
    > A film may be Full Screen on one side and Widescreen
    > on the reverse. In this instance, it is necessary to
    > flip the disc to the desired viewing format.
    >
    > Please be informed that the selection IDLE HANDS is full screen on one
    > side and wide screen on the reverse.
    > ===============================

    UPDATE: The latest from Columbia House (still insisting I don't know what
    I received):

    Please be assured that the replacement DVD of IDLE HANDS which has been
    sent to you is full screen on one side and wide screen on the reverse.
    Therefore it is necessary to flip the disc to the desired viewing format.

    I took a couple pictures with a digital camera and emailed this moron,
    showing them that one side of the disc is printed on.

    Shinner, Jan 5, 2004