Clueless about video

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John Smith, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Ok, I know nothing about the solution to the following question (which
    is why I'm here). I would like to play a tape on my VCR and have the
    sound and video from the RCA connectors (on the back of the VCR) go to
    the computer, which stores the data in a usable form, for which I can
    edit and join together pieces of video. Then, I'd like to play this
    out again from the computer, to the RCA connectors (video in, sound
    in) to the VCR so that I can tape it and play when I want to without
    having to mess with the computer. Also, of course, the setup will
    have to be PAL compatible.

    Alternatively, if I can't do that, how about using the RF in/out from
    the VCR but of course, since there has to be mod/demodulation, quality
    will be poorer.

    Apparently, there are "TV capture cards" but will a video card with TV
    in and out (or whatever) do instead? Also, what about the editing
    software? Would it need to be compressed first, or not?

    I'm reasonably technically minded, but since I haven't read any
    computer mags for a while, I know nothing about this. If you have any
    links to useful pages, that'll be great, too.

    Thanks.

    John.
    John Smith, Sep 21, 2003

  2. John Smith

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from John Smith of Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:35 :

    > Ok, I know nothing about the solution to the following question (which
    > is why I'm here). I would like to play a tape on my VCR and have the
    > sound and video from the RCA connectors (on the back of the VCR) go to
    > the computer, which stores the data in a usable form, for which I can
    > edit and join together pieces of video. Then, I'd like to play this
    > out again from the computer, to the RCA connectors (video in, sound
    > in) to the VCR so that I can tape it and play when I want to without
    > having to mess with the computer.

    I've heard Dick Smith sell a TV tuner card that might help with what you
    want. Also, you might find this one interesting ...
    http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pvr/

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 21, 2003

  3. John Smith

    cowboyz Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, I know nothing about the solution to the following question (which
    > is why I'm here). I would like to play a tape on my VCR and have the
    > sound and video from the RCA connectors (on the back of the VCR) go to
    > the computer, which stores the data in a usable form, for which I can
    > edit and join together pieces of video. Then, I'd like to play this
    > out again from the computer, to the RCA connectors (video in, sound
    > in) to the VCR so that I can tape it and play when I want to without
    > having to mess with the computer. Also, of course, the setup will
    > have to be PAL compatible.
    >
    > Alternatively, if I can't do that, how about using the RF in/out from
    > the VCR but of course, since there has to be mod/demodulation, quality
    > will be poorer.
    >
    > Apparently, there are "TV capture cards" but will a video card with TV
    > in and out (or whatever) do instead? Also, what about the editing
    > software? Would it need to be compressed first, or not?
    >
    > I'm reasonably technically minded, but since I haven't read any
    > computer mags for a while, I know nothing about this. If you have any
    > links to useful pages, that'll be great, too.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John.

    I have a GeForce4MX460 with VIVO

    It is really quite simple stuff

    I have PC>video and video >PC but my sound goes pc>sterio.

    I got a gainward which comes with WinCoder and WinProducer. Windcoder will
    capture and compress Mpeg2 on the fly and does a pretty good job. I run it
    on a XP2100 and can capture 720x576 @25 fps without any frames dropping.
    cowboyz, Sep 21, 2003