cloud of AS's

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by raptor, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. raptor

    raptor Guest

    hi,

    I want to balance the traffic but specifing AS's one by one will be
    slow process.
    Is there some shortcuts so that I can group togheter many AS's and then
    be able to say :
    if packet pass or go torught cloudX-AS then use peerX
    if packet pass or go torught cloudY-AS then use peerY

    this should include packets which final destination is all AS'e in the
    cloud, but also
    everything that passes trought them :"))
    Yes I'm aware that they are interconnected and cannot be very
    accurately specified, but if such collision occur then I think the
    Order in which they are specified will be fine for resolving them.(100%
    accuracy is not required, but 99.99% will be good :") )
    At the moment I think some sort as-path-regex-map will be some
    approximation to this (or! this is the what I need?). but I'm asking
    here if someone has come to similar thoughts and probably solved them
    in some way, or probably there is some ready solution to this.

    Now comes the next question, do u graph (and if yes how?) per AS
    traffic or cloud-of-AS traffic.

    With mrtg/rrd + snmp and/or simple iptables it is fairly easy to graph
    class-C or bigger continuous networks.
    But AS are not very static in nature, plus i still cant find a easy way
    to extract the networks which belongs to them. ('whois' can help abit
    here, just havent figured out the pattern , sometimes there is missing
    info...etc..)
    whois -i origin ASXXXX

    Havent uset 'sflow' (or what was the technology), but can it help here
    ?

    these are my thought...if i'm talking bullshits, pls feel free to pass
    it..

    raptor, Mar 28, 2005