closing the gap?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rabid, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. Rabid

    Rabid Guest

    Hi All,

    I guess like many, I am trying to make my mind up whether to go for a
    digicam like the sony 828, fuji S7000 etc or the Canon 300D.

    I have a Dimage Z1 for general use, and a exilim S3 for discrete moments,
    but want something more serious to play with (plus wife and kids usually
    snaffle the above when we're out). The accidental demise of my old faithful
    Fuji MX2900 means I have some money to purchase DADS camera :).

    I've never used and SLR of any type so have no experience and in some ways
    the learning curve puts me away from the 300D.

    However the limitations of the prosumer cameras may mean I will be
    ultimately limited in what can be acheived.

    Any thoughts would be appreciated,

    I try most things, sport pics of the kids(swimming, football, karate etc),
    landscapes, portraits (kids again), action shots, wildlife, anything really.
    I like large prints and do mess about with Photoshop a bit.

    Cheers, P

    Rabid, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Rabid

    EarGuy Guest

    As an owner of the Canon 10D, I'd recommend the 300D. The learning curve is
    there, but it starts out real easy with point-and-shoot modes. You can make
    it as simple as you want, and learn more as you go along. You'll get good
    results right out of the box.

    Keep in mind, however, that there will be expenses getting started. There's
    the cost of the body. I'm hearing that the kit lens that comes with it
    isn't bad, so if you get the kit it's $1000.00. You'll want bigger memory
    cards - a 1gig compact flash is about $300.00. If you want a long lens for
    your kids' sports (trust me, you do), you can get a consumer-level zoom four
    about $200.00. Then there's the need for a flash that does TTL (karate).
    To really get going, you're spending $1300-2000.

    I love my 10D and wouldn't trade it for anything. At least until the next
    one comes along!

    Dave
    Earguy
    http://hometown.aol.com/earguy62/myhomepage/photo.html

    EarGuy, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Rabid

    Jeff Shoaf Guest

    "EarGuy" <> wrote in

    > As an owner of the Canon 10D, I'd recommend the 300D. The learning
    > curve is there, but it starts out real easy with point-and-shoot
    > modes. You can make it as simple as you want, and learn more as you
    > go along. You'll get good results right out of the box.
    >
    > Keep in mind, however, that there will be expenses getting started.
    > There's the cost of the body. I'm hearing that the kit lens that
    > comes with it isn't bad, so if you get the kit it's $1000.00. You'll
    > want bigger memory cards - a 1gig compact flash is about $300.00. If
    > you want a long lens for your kids' sports (trust me, you do), you can
    > get a consumer-level zoom four about $200.00. Then there's the need
    > for a flash that does TTL (karate). To really get going, you're
    > spending $1300-2000.
    >
    > I love my 10D and wouldn't trade it for anything. At least until the
    > next one comes along!

    Note that you probably won't be thrilled with the results from the 300D in
    the P&S modes. The 300D only really starts to shine as you learn more about
    general photography and move to the "creative" zones. There is a learning
    curve, but it's well worth the climb!

    Check out the 300D forum on www.dpreview.com for more info. You'll see
    several postings with folks coming from a P&S background taking their
    300D's back, but you'll see even more postings from folks that either came
    from a film SLR background or spent the time to learn to use the camera
    that are very happy with it.

    Jeff Shoaf, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Rabid

    Rabid Guest

    Took the plunge today and bought the 300D, can't wait till the weekend and I
    get to try it in Daylight.

    Cheers for tipping the balance!!

    Rabid, Jan 6, 2004