Closing the doors 15 minutes before closing.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by doofus, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Greetings one and all!

    I am from England. I would be most grateful if you would help with the
    following question as a valuable contribution to my research into
    comparisons between British and American culture. If you don't know the
    answer, that's OK. Here is the question.

    "Tonight I got turned away for my second pint, because, after going home to
    get more money, I returned at 10:49pm. They said they were closed when I got
    there. I said it's only 10:49, they said they close the doors at 10:45pm.
    (Closing time for pubs here is 11:00. You can still buy a drink up to 11:00
    if you're inside.) As I walked away I thought how typically British that is,
    closing 15 mins before you close. I'm sure that sort of thing never happens
    in America.

    "I thought perhaps I would ask you. In America, if you are going to the pub
    and it closes at, say 11:00 can you still walk in the door and order a pint
    at 10:50? Have you ever heard anything like closing the doors 15 mins before
    closing?"

    Many thanks.

    best, Doofus
    doofus, Jun 10, 2005

  2. doofus

    Rick Merrill Guest

    doofus wrote:

    > Greetings one and all!
    >
    > I am from England. I would be most grateful if you would help with the
    > following question as a valuable contribution to my research into
    > comparisons between British and American culture. If you don't know the
    > answer, that's OK. Here is the question.
    >
    > "Tonight I got turned away for my second pint, because, after going home to
    > get more money, I returned at 10:49pm. They said they were closed when I got
    > there. I said it's only 10:49, they said they close the doors at 10:45pm.
    > (Closing time for pubs here is 11:00. You can still buy a drink up to 11:00
    > if you're inside.) As I walked away I thought how typically British that is,
    > closing 15 mins before you close. I'm sure that sort of thing never happens
    > in America.
    >
    > "I thought perhaps I would ask you. In America, if you are going to the pub
    > and it closes at, say 11:00 can you still walk in the door and order a pint
    > at 10:50? Have you ever heard anything like closing the doors 15 mins before
    > closing?"
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > best, Doofus

    Sounds similar to "last call" in the US - if you come in after that, you
    get no service!
    Rick Merrill, Jun 10, 2005

  3. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Sounds similar to "last call" in the US - if you come in after that,
    > you get no service!

    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original question. Here it is more clearly, I
    hope.

    "Have you ever heard of a bar anywhere in the USA which publicly states
    that it closes its doors to outsiders 15 minutes before last call?"
    doofus, Jun 10, 2005
  4. doofus

    Tab Guest

    Tab, Jun 10, 2005
  5. doofus

    billybronco Guest

    perhaps they just didnt like u.

    billybronco, Jun 10, 2005
  6. doofus

    Barman Guest

    "doofus" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings one and all!
    >
    > I am from England. I would be most grateful if you would help with the
    > following question as a valuable contribution to my research into
    > comparisons between British and American culture. If you don't know the
    > answer, that's OK. Here is the question.
    >
    > "Tonight I got turned away for my second pint, because, after going home
    > get more money, I returned at 10:49pm. They said they were closed when I
    > got
    > there. I said it's only 10:49, they said they close the doors at 10:45pm.
    > (Closing time for pubs here is 11:00. You can still buy a drink up to
    > 11:00
    > if you're inside.) As I walked away I thought how typically British that
    > is,
    > closing 15 mins before you close. I'm sure that sort of thing never
    > happens
    > in America.
    >
    > "I thought perhaps I would ask you. In America, if you are going to the
    > pub
    > and it closes at, say 11:00 can you still walk in the door and order a
    > pint
    > at 10:50? Have you ever heard anything like closing the doors 15 mins
    > before
    > closing?"
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > best, Doofus

    "going home to get more money"?
    From your mother? Robbed the piggy-bank?
    The bottomline being YOU were just not wanted back at the bar!
    They were being polite in providing a fabricated excuse for not
    serving you.
    Barman, Jun 10, 2005
  7. doofus

    doofus Guest

    Barman wrote:
    > "doofus" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings one and all!
    >>
    >> I am from England. I would be most grateful if you would help with
    >> the following question as a valuable contribution to my research into
    >> comparisons between British and American culture. If you don't know
    >> the answer, that's OK. Here is the question.
    >>
    >> "Tonight I got turned away for my second pint, because, after going
    >> home to
    >> get more money, I returned at 10:49pm. They said they were closed
    >> when I got
    >> there. I said it's only 10:49, they said they close the doors at
    >> 10:45pm. (Closing time for pubs here is 11:00. You can still buy a
    >> drink up to 11:00
    >> if you're inside.) As I walked away I thought how typically British
    >> that is,
    >> closing 15 mins before you close. I'm sure that sort of thing never
    >> happens
    >> in America.
    >>
    >> "I thought perhaps I would ask you. In America, if you are going to
    >> the pub
    >> and it closes at, say 11:00 can you still walk in the door and order
    >> a pint
    >> at 10:50? Have you ever heard anything like closing the doors 15 mins
    >> before
    >> closing?"
    >>
    >> Many thanks.
    >>
    >> best, Doofus
    >>

    > "going home to get more money"?
    > From your mother? Robbed the piggy-bank?
    > The bottomline being YOU were just not wanted back at the bar!
    > They were being polite in providing a fabricated excuse for no
    > serving you.

    Uhh, thank you, guys for taking the trouble to answer, and, in the context I
    presented, perhaps your theory is reasonable. I hadn't thought it might seem
    like that. However, no, this was their standard policy and when I walked
    down the road to check at the next pub they said theirs was the same, and I
    wasn't even trying to get in there. Going home to get more money sounds odd,
    I know. Let doofus explain. My ATM card is "in the mail" or so the bank
    says. They charge for over the counter withdrawals. So I got out a wad of
    cash and stashed it at home, pending the card's arrival. Perhaps that helps.
    Incidentally, it still hasn't arrived but that's another story.

    Anyway, I'm sorry for the confusion. I just thought it was really odd that
    they close their doors officially 15 mins before last call. If I'm right,
    and this doesn't really happen stateside, then I guess nobody there will
    have heard of such a practice. I'm just curious, because I lived in the US
    for ten years, so I'm interested in differences between the cultures. I
    really can't recall encountering anything like that over there.

    I'm really grateful for your patience with such an unusual question.

    doofus
    doofus, Jun 10, 2005
  8. doofus

    SEYMOUR Guest

    im english too and none of the hostelries i frequent have such a ruling

    your best move would be to get a better local

    SEYMOUR, Jun 10, 2005
  9. doofus

    dadiOH Guest

    doofus wrote:

    > Anyway, I'm sorry for the confusion. I just thought it was really odd
    > that they close their doors officially 15 mins before last call. If
    > I'm right, and this doesn't really happen stateside, then I guess
    > nobody there will have heard of such a practice. I'm just curious,
    > because I lived in the US for ten years, so I'm interested in
    > differences between the cultures. I really can't recall encountering
    > anything like that over there.

    I can't either. If they did, someone would mumble something about
    "liquor commission". However, just because you can get in doesn't
    necessarily mean you can get served unless you drink *really* fast. :)

    Restaurants are sort of similar...not unusual for them to close at one
    time but stop serving earlier. Someday I'm going into one, sit down and
    stare hungrily at the late diners. Might even drool a bit.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Jun 10, 2005
  10. doofus wrote:

    > Greetings one and all!
    >
    > I am from England. I would be most grateful if you would help with the
    > following question as a valuable contribution to my research into
    > comparisons between British and American culture. If you don't know the
    > answer, that's OK. Here is the question.
    >
    > "Tonight I got turned away for my second pint, because, after going home to
    > get more money, I returned at 10:49pm. They said they were closed when I got
    > there. I said it's only 10:49, they said they close the doors at 10:45pm.
    > (Closing time for pubs here is 11:00. You can still buy a drink up to 11:00
    > if you're inside.) As I walked away I thought how typically British that is,
    > closing 15 mins before you close. I'm sure that sort of thing never happens
    > in America.
    >
    > "I thought perhaps I would ask you. In America, if you are going to the pub
    > and it closes at, say 11:00 can you still walk in the door and order a pint
    > at 10:50? Have you ever heard anything like closing the doors 15 mins before
    > closing?"

    Here in the states the employees may "fudge" a bit on closing the doors
    but I've never seen a place with a policy of closing before closing time.

    When I lived in Florida and partied heartier, one bar I went to closed
    at 2:00am, but if you were someone they trusted, you just sit still when
    it was time to lock up. After the doors were locked and the closed sign
    put up, we could keep going as long as we could keep going. And I can
    remember having to help carry drunk cops out at dawn.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 10, 2005
  11. doofus

    philo Guest

    doofus wrote:
    > Greetings one and all!
    >
    > I am from England. I would be most grateful if you would help with the
    > following question as a valuable contribution to my research into
    > comparisons between British and American culture. If you don't know the
    > answer, that's OK. Here is the question.
    >
    > "Tonight I got turned away for my second pint, because, after going home to
    > get more money, I returned at 10:49pm. They said they were closed when I got
    > there. I said it's only 10:49, they said they close the doors at 10:45pm.
    > (Closing time for pubs here is 11:00. You can still buy a drink up to 11:00
    > if you're inside.) As I walked away I thought how typically British that is,
    > closing 15 mins before you close. I'm sure that sort of thing never happens
    > in America.
    >
    > "I thought perhaps I would ask you. In America, if you are going to the pub
    > and it closes at, say 11:00 can you still walk in the door and order a pint
    > at 10:50? Have you ever heard anything like closing the doors 15 mins before
    > closing?"
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > best, Doofus

    In the US...
    at least the places I used to go...
    the clocks were always set ten minutes ahead...
    and not only that...they started "last call" at ten minutes prior to
    closing time...according to the time on the clocks...
    so it began actually 20 minutes prior to closing.

    if there are any patrons in the bar past legal closing time,
    they can get fined...so they do not want to take a chance!
    philo, Jun 10, 2005
  12. doofus

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, doofus mused:

    | Rick Merrill wrote:
    |
    || Sounds similar to "last call" in the US - if you come in after that,
    || you get no service!
    |
    | Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original question. Here it is more
    | clearly, I hope.
    |
    | "Have you ever heard of a bar anywhere in the USA which publicly
    | states that it closes its doors to outsiders 15 minutes before last
    | call?"

    It's a common practice, and generally accepted norm in several
    countries I have been in ... States included. My mates and I refer to
    it as "pub time" or "bar time" ... that they make "last call" 15 minutes
    before the local authorities mandate they can serve alchohol.
    mhicaoidh, Jun 11, 2005
  13. philo wrote:

    > doofus wrote:

    >> Greetings one and all!

    >> I am from England. I would be most grateful if you would help with
    >> the following question as a valuable contribution to my research into
    >> comparisons between British and American culture. If you don't know
    >> the answer, that's OK. Here is the question.

    >> "Tonight I got turned away for my second pint, because, after going
    >> home to get more money, I returned at 10:49pm. They said they were
    >> closed when I got there. I said it's only 10:49, they said they close
    >> the doors at 10:45pm. (Closing time for pubs here is 11:00. You can
    >> still buy a drink up to 11:00 if you're inside.) As I walked away I
    >> thought how typically British that is, closing 15 mins before you
    >> close. I'm sure that sort of thing never happens in America.

    >> "I thought perhaps I would ask you. In America, if you are going to
    >> the pub and it closes at, say 11:00 can you still walk in the door
    >> and order a pint at 10:50? Have you ever heard anything like closing
    >> the doors 15 mins before closing?"

    >> Many thanks.

    >> best, Doofus

    > In the US... at least the places I used to go... the clocks were
    > always set ten minutes ahead... and not only that...they started
    > "last call" at ten minutes prior to closing time...according to the
    > time on the clocks... so it began actually 20 minutes prior to
    > closing.

    I'll vouch for that, as well. In one of my hangouts, it was customary
    to play Ray Charles' "Hit The Road Jack" on the jukebox when it was
    time to flush the patrons. :)

    > if there are any patrons in the bar past legal closing time, they can
    > get fined...so they do not want to take a chance!

    On the other hand, I've "stayed late" (as very much a regular) for a bit
    of weed and some more hanging out at the bar (even though they stopped
    "serving" at last call). :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 11, 2005