  1. When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes a while
    to close lately. How do I rectify this please?

    pete

    Peter Turtill, Dec 15, 2010

  2. Peter Turtill

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:22:41 -0000, Peter Turtill wrote:

    > When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes a while
    > to close lately. How do I rectify this please?
    >
    > pete

    Install firefox and quit using IE.

    richard, Dec 15, 2010

  3. "Wibble" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter Turtill" <> wrote in message
    >> When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes a
    >> while to close lately. How do I rectify this please?

    > By giving a few more details maybe?
    >
    > What version of IE and what operating system?
    >
    > Have you done a full virus scan and maybe scanned for malware?

    It is IE 8 OS XP Home with service pack 3.

    pete

    Peter Turtill, Dec 15, 2010
  4. Peter Turtill wrote:

    > When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes a
    > while to close lately. How do I rectify this please?

    Try closing the browser by using the menu instead. File > Exit
    and see what happens.

    Are there additional IE windows open?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 15, 2010
  5. richard the sto0pid wrote:

    > Peter Turtill wrote:
    >> When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes
    >> a while to close lately. How do I rectify this please?

    > Install firefox and quit using IE.

    Poster: "How do I prepare cauliflower?"
    RtS: "Buy lima beans."

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 15, 2010
  6. Peter Turtill

    Anyone Guest

    On 12/15/2010 10:22 AM, Peter Turtill wrote:
    > When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes a while
    > to close lately. How do I rectify this please?
    >
    > pete

    Grasp the power plug firmly in one hand, give it a sharp tug.

    Anyone, Dec 15, 2010
  7. Peter Turtill

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:22:41 -0000, Peter Turtill wrote:
    >
    >> When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes a
    >> while
    >> to close lately. How do I rectify this please?
    >>
    >> pete

    > Install firefox and quit using IE.

    Agreed.
    If I can do it anybody can do it.

    Mr Pounder ...... AKA the Homer Simpson of computers.

    Mr Pounder, Dec 15, 2010
  8. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Turtill wrote:
    >
    >> When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes a
    >> while to close lately. How do I rectify this please?

    > Try closing the browser by using the menu instead. File > Exit
    > and see what happens.
    >
    > Are there additional IE windows open?

    It is just as slow that way. There are no other IE windows open. I am pretty
    sure this is something I have done by having fat fingers as it has happened
    to me before but I have forgotten the fix which if memory serves me well was
    a very quick click somewhere.

    pete

    Peter Turtill, Dec 16, 2010
  9. Peter Turtill

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 15/12/2010 18:22, Peter Turtill wrote:
    > When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes a while
    > to close lately. How do I rectify this please?

    Try resetting IE.

    Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Reset

    Desk Rabbit, Dec 16, 2010
  10. "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > On 15/12/2010 18:22, Peter Turtill wrote:
    >> When I click on the cross at the top right of my IE browser it takes a
    >> while
    >> to close lately. How do I rectify this please?

    > Try resetting IE.
    >
    > Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Reset

    I was hoping for guidance like you have kindly posted but then XP updated
    itself and the problem has gone now thanks.

    pete

    Peter Turtill, Dec 17, 2010
  11. Peter Turtill <> via

    > When I click on the cross at the top right of my
    > IE browser it takes a while to close lately. How do
    > I rectify this please?
    >
    > pete

    Clean your caches (CCleaner [freeware], or the like); reboot;
    after start-up, defrag. My IE does it sometimes after I've
    been up for a week or so; sometimes when I'm intensely
    searching for products/services/information. I suspect it
    may have something to do with your ISP's DNS servers...
    CCleaner cleans the cookies, caches and FlashCookies too,
    but even when I exit IE, clean, and resume, it will have
    difficulty closing out tabs and/or browser windows... I
    also use the "Repair" function on the connection icon
    sometimes - without success, before I reboot... that's
    why I suspect it may be linked to DNS resolution issues
    at the ISP's gateway DNS server(s). Rebooting breaks
    that connection (on mine) and according to 'Active Ports'
    I usually get assigned to another DNS server afterwards.
    After reboot, as per above, it always works fine again,
    until I replicate one of the above cited circumstances.

    HTH.

    If you buy *anything* that says "Made in China" anytime,
    you're supporting the "Evil Empire" and the terrorists too.
    Why, pretty soon it could be "Merry Buddhamas" which rhymes
    with "Hamas" - and *everyone* knows they are terrorists!
    And grabass rhymes with "Hamas" too, which is what TSA
    does to upstanding American citizens everyday of the week.

    --

    Hello, I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and while I understand
    that you may be a government-trained TSA officer; I repeat,

    http://www.socialmediasobrietytest.com/

    http://213.251.145.96/ (WikiSteenks)

    (He should only be in trouble if he raped any of the ugly girls
    because everyone knows the pretty ones are just asking for it.)

    http://thedogpaddler.com/RandomUploads/Ball/ball.htm

    Repent! The end is near. Or... good luck
    with that whole pesky "apocolypse" thangy.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 17, 2010