    start closed [+], and open them as I want them.

    Is there any way to do that please? I can't find anything in the computer
    books.
    Geopelia, Aug 8, 2009

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <h5j0cp$v1o$-september.org>,
    says...
    > I have XP and Outlook Express.
    >
    > When I start Outlook Express, all the folders are open [-]. I want them to
    > start closed [+], and open them as I want them.
    >
    > Is there any way to do that please? I can't find anything in the computer
    > books.

    Click on the '-' (minus) to close them before you exit Outlook Express.

    It will start that way next time you open OE.

    Otherwise, no.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Aug 8, 2009

  3. On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:12:04 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote in

    > In article <h5j0cp$v1o$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >> I have XP and Outlook Express.
    >>
    >> When I start Outlook Express, all the folders are open [-]. I want them to
    >> start closed [+], and open them as I want them.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to do that please? I can't find anything in the computer
    >> books.

    > Click on the '-' (minus) to close them before you exit Outlook Express.
    >
    > It will start that way next time you open OE.
    >
    > Otherwise, no.

    I seem to remember from when I used OE (before I knew better) there was a
    setting in the preferences along the lines of 'expand all threads by
    default' which could be selected or de-selected. Have they done away with
    that? (I'd not be surprised!)

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 8, 2009
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:12:04 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote in
    >
    >> In article <h5j0cp$v1o$-september.org>,
    >> says...
    >>> I have XP and Outlook Express.
    >>>
    >>> When I start Outlook Express, all the folders are open [-]. I want them
    >>> start closed [+], and open them as I want them.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to do that please? I can't find anything in the
    >>> computer
    >>> books.

    >> Click on the '-' (minus) to close them before you exit Outlook Express.
    >>
    >> It will start that way next time you open OE.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, no.

    > I seem to remember from when I used OE (before I knew better) there was a
    > setting in the preferences along the lines of 'expand all threads by
    > default' which could be selected or de-selected. Have they done away with
    > that? (I'd not be surprised!)

    That doesn't seem to be there. There is "automatically expand grouped
    messages", but that is not ticked.
    Geopelia, Aug 8, 2009
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <h5j0cp$v1o$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >> I have XP and Outlook Express.
    >>
    >> When I start Outlook Express, all the folders are open [-]. I want them
    >> start closed [+], and open them as I want them.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to do that please? I can't find anything in the computer
    >> books.

    > Click on the '-' (minus) to close them before you exit Outlook Express.
    >
    > It will start that way next time you open OE.
    >
    > Otherwise, no.

    I clicked to close everything, the reopened OE. Everything still came up
    opened.

    I'll see what happens when I restart the computer. Perhaps that needs to be
    done.
    Geopelia, Aug 8, 2009
  6. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:12:04 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> In article <h5j0cp$v1o$-september.org>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Click on the '-' (minus) to close them before you exit Outlook
    >>> Express. It will start that way next time you open OE.
    >>>
    >>> Otherwise, no.

    >> I seem to remember from when I used OE (before I knew better) there
    >> was a setting in the preferences along the lines of 'expand all
    >> threads by default' which could be selected or de-selected. Have
    >> they done away with that? (I'd not be surprised!)
    >>

    > That doesn't seem to be there. There is "automatically expand grouped
    > messages", but that is not ticked.

    That one works for me Geo, maybe you need to tick it, close/open OE, then
    untick it and close/open OE again or something?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 9, 2009
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:12:04 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote in

    >>> I seem to remember from when I used OE (before I knew better) there
    >>> was a setting in the preferences along the lines of 'expand all
    >>> threads by default' which could be selected or de-selected. Have
    >>> they done away with that? (I'd not be surprised!)
    >>>

    >> That doesn't seem to be there. There is "automatically expand grouped
    >> messages", but that is not ticked.

    > That one works for me Geo, maybe you need to tick it, close/open OE, then
    > untick it and close/open OE again or something?
    >
    > Cheers,

    I tried that, but it made no difference.

    It's not serious of course, just rather annoying, so I'll live with it.

    Thank you
    Geopelia, Aug 9, 2009
  8. Geopelia

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 16:45:41 +1200, in message <h5j0cp$v1o$-september.org>
    "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    > I have XP and Outlook Express.
    >
    > When I start Outlook Express, all the folders are open [-]. I want them to
    > start closed [+], and open them as I want them.
    >
    > Is there any way to do that please? I can't find anything in the computer
    > books.

    and remove the tick-mark from the setting
    [ ] Automatically display folders with unread messages

    If you have a tick-mark in this setting, then a folder will be open [-]
    if any one of the sub-folders inside it has unread messages.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Aug 9, 2009
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 16:45:41 +1200, in message
    > <h5j0cp$v1o$-september.org>
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have XP and Outlook Express.
    >>
    >> When I start Outlook Express, all the folders are open [-]. I want them
    >> start closed [+], and open them as I want them.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to do that please? I can't find anything in the computer
    >> books.

    > and remove the tick-mark from the setting
    > [ ] Automatically display folders with unread messages
    >

    > If you have a tick-mark in this setting, then a folder will be open [-]
    > if any one of the sub-folders inside it has unread messages.

    Thank you. That fixed it.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Aug 9, 2009