    lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank you very
    much.

    Bye

    Talal Itani, May 24, 2006

  2. Talal Itani

    Craig Guest

    "Talal Itani" <> wrote...

    > Hello,
    >
    > I own a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera and I am very please with it. I now
    > need to take pictures of very small objects, like watches and rings. I am
    > not able to get very close to the object with my Sony. Is there a macro
    > lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank you very
    > much.
    >
    > Bye

    In wide angle mode with macro, the camera can get to within 6 cm (about
    2.5 inches). Do you need to get closer? PS--in telephoto, you can only get
    as close as 30 cm (about a foot--no better than if the macro button is
    disengaged)--and when between wide angle and tele, the closest macro is in
    between, so the closest macro will be done with the camera in full wide
    angle with the macro button engaged:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscp200/ (note that there are 10 pages
    in this review so be sure to click the <next> buttons at the bottom of each
    page.

    It doesn't look like an adapter is available to use filters or close-up
    lenses, so you may be stuck with what's mentioned above. The pricier cameras
    either have optional filter adapters available--or have built-in threads to
    accept filters and close-up lenses--and these'd really let you get closer.

    One further thought. Given that this is a 7 MP camera, use the highest
    quality setting (3072x2304 pixels). With this, you can crop the photo with
    photo editing software and have the watch/ring fill the entire resulting
    image.

    Craig

    Craig, May 24, 2006

  3. Talal Itani

    Tiny Tim Guest

    "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I own a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera and I am very please with it. I now
    > need to take pictures of very small objects, like watches and rings. I am
    > not able to get very close to the object with my Sony. Is there a macro
    > lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank you very
    > much.

    The P200 has a macro setting - press the right hand button on the
    options/directions pad. Here is an example of a photo I took just a few
    minutes ago to demonstrate the feature on my P200, it's the same photo in
    four different image sizes so take your pick depending on bandwidth. I made
    no special effort with lighting, just natural light from the window on an
    overcast day, and the shot was handheld. I'm sure I could have improved the
    result with more effort (and a polishing cloth).

    http://www.easytiger.plus.com/photos/

    Regards,
    Tim.

    Tiny Tim, May 24, 2006
  4. Talal Itani

    Tiny Tim Guest

    "Tiny Tim" <.> wrote in message
    > "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I own a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera and I am very please with it. I now
    >> need to take pictures of very small objects, like watches and rings. I
    >> am
    >> not able to get very close to the object with my Sony. Is there a macro
    >> lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank you very
    >> much.
    >>

    > The P200 has a macro setting - press the right hand button on the
    > options/directions pad. Here is an example of a photo I took just a few
    > minutes ago to demonstrate the feature on my P200, it's the same photo in
    > four different image sizes so take your pick depending on bandwidth. I
    > made
    > no special effort with lighting, just natural light from the window on an
    > overcast day, and the shot was handheld. I'm sure I could have improved
    > the
    > result with more effort (and a polishing cloth).
    >
    > http://www.easytiger.plus.com/photos/
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tim.

    Oops, just checked the Exif data and I see the flash did fire for this
    shot - I did try a few variations with manual, program and auto exposure
    control. The picture was at F2.8 (full auto) so perhaps F5.6 would have
    improved the focus a little.

    Tiny Tim, May 24, 2006
  5. Talal Itani

    Tiny Tim Guest

    "Tiny Tim" <.> wrote in message
    > "Tiny Tim" <.> wrote in message
    >> "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I own a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera and I am very please with it. I
    >>> now
    >>> need to take pictures of very small objects, like watches and rings. I
    >>> am
    >>> not able to get very close to the object with my Sony. Is there a macro
    >>> lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank you
    >>> very
    >>> much.
    >>>

    >> The P200 has a macro setting - press the right hand button on the
    >> options/directions pad. Here is an example of a photo I took just a few
    >> minutes ago to demonstrate the feature on my P200, it's the same photo in
    >> four different image sizes so take your pick depending on bandwidth. I
    >> made
    >> no special effort with lighting, just natural light from the window on an
    >> overcast day, and the shot was handheld. I'm sure I could have improved
    >> the
    >> result with more effort (and a polishing cloth).

    <snip>

    A few more attempts here, this time with a mini tripod but nothing special
    lightingwise.

    http://www.easytiger.plus.com/photos/album/

    Tiny Tim, May 24, 2006
  6. Talal Itani

    Talal Itani Guest

    Thank you for your informative reply. I have been using the camera at it's
    6cm minimum range, with macro on, and widest angle. I need to take
    photographs of gems, like diamonds and rubies, so I do need to get closer
    than 6 cm. So far, I have been setting the camera to it's high resolution,
    and then use image editing program to crop, but with this, I cannot see very
    well the item on the LCD screen while taking the photos. I had hoped I can
    turn digital zoom on, analog zoom off, and set the camera to low resolution,
    in order to achieve cropping in the camera, but I could not do that. Analog
    zoom always gets activated before digital zoom. You mentioned other
    cameras. Are you referring to digital SLRs? I never tried a digital SLR. I
    am considering a digital Rebel, but I worry I may purchase it and get
    disappointed. I got used to looking at the LCD display, when taking shots.
    I would appreciate further information from you. Thanks!

    Talal Itani, May 24, 2006
  7. Talal Itani

    > Thank you for your informative reply. I have been using the camera at
    > it's 6cm minimum range, with macro on, and widest angle. I need to take
    > photographs of gems, like diamonds and rubies, so I do need to get closer
    > than 6 cm. So far, I have been setting the camera to it's high
    > resolution, and then use image editing program to crop, but with this, I
    > cannot see very
    > well the item on the LCD screen while taking the photos. I had hoped I
    > can turn digital zoom on, analog zoom off, and set the camera to low
    > resolution, in order to achieve cropping in the camera, but I could not do
    > that. Analog zoom always gets activated before digital zoom. You
    > mentioned other cameras. Are you referring to digital SLRs? I never
    > tried a digital SLR. I am considering a digital Rebel, but I worry I may
    > purchase it and get disappointed. I got used to looking at the LCD
    > display, when taking shots. I would appreciate further information from
    > you. Thanks!

    If you want to get so close that you can photograph gemstones then maybe the
    new Canon S3-IS will suit you. It can focus to 0 cm in super-macro mode.
    Have a look at the review here....

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page5.asp

    You may want to get a filter to protect the lens from scratches if you're
    going to get that close with gemstones :)

    Tiny Tim, May 24, 2006
  8. Talal Itani

    irwell Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:54:44 +0100, "Tiny Tim" <.> wrote:

    >"Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thank you for your informative reply. I have been using the camera at
    >> it's 6cm minimum range, with macro on, and widest angle. I need to take
    >> photographs of gems, like diamonds and rubies, so I do need to get closer
    >> than 6 cm. So far, I have been setting the camera to it's high
    >> resolution, and then use image editing program to crop, but with this, I
    >> cannot see very
    >> well the item on the LCD screen while taking the photos. I had hoped I
    >> can turn digital zoom on, analog zoom off, and set the camera to low
    >> resolution, in order to achieve cropping in the camera, but I could not do
    >> that. Analog zoom always gets activated before digital zoom. You
    >> mentioned other cameras. Are you referring to digital SLRs? I never
    >> tried a digital SLR. I am considering a digital Rebel, but I worry I may
    >> purchase it and get disappointed. I got used to looking at the LCD
    >> display, when taking shots. I would appreciate further information from
    >> you. Thanks!
    >>

    >If you want to get so close that you can photograph gemstones then maybe the
    >new Canon S3-IS will suit you. It can focus to 0 cm in super-macro mode.
    >Have a look at the review here....
    >
    >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page5.asp
    >
    >You may want to get a filter to protect the lens from scratches if you're
    >going to get that close with gemstones :)

    Or use a close up lens, come in +1 to +3 magnifications.

    irwell, May 25, 2006
  9. Talal Itani

    J. Clarke Guest

    irwell wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:54:44 +0100, "Tiny Tim" <.> wrote:
    >
    >>"Talal Itani" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for your informative reply. I have been using the camera at
    >>> it's 6cm minimum range, with macro on, and widest angle. I need to take
    >>> photographs of gems, like diamonds and rubies, so I do need to get
    >>> closer
    >>> than 6 cm. So far, I have been setting the camera to it's high
    >>> resolution, and then use image editing program to crop, but with this, I
    >>> cannot see very
    >>> well the item on the LCD screen while taking the photos. I had hoped I
    >>> can turn digital zoom on, analog zoom off, and set the camera to low
    >>> resolution, in order to achieve cropping in the camera, but I could not
    >>> do
    >>> that. Analog zoom always gets activated before digital zoom. You
    >>> mentioned other cameras. Are you referring to digital SLRs? I never
    >>> tried a digital SLR. I am considering a digital Rebel, but I worry I may
    >>> purchase it and get disappointed. I got used to looking at the LCD
    >>> display, when taking shots. I would appreciate further information from
    >>> you. Thanks!
    >>>

    >>If you want to get so close that you can photograph gemstones then maybe
    >>the new Canon S3-IS will suit you. It can focus to 0 cm in super-macro
    >>mode. Have a look at the review here....
    >>
    >>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page5.asp
    >>
    >>You may want to get a filter to protect the lens from scratches if you're
    >>going to get that close with gemstones :)
    >>

    > Or use a close up lens, come in +1 to +3 magnifications.

    Problems are that (a) the camera he has doesn't seem to have a filter
    mounting ring, so mounting them would be problematical and (b) they
    introduce chromatic aberration and (c) a good set costs nearly as much as a
    used point-and-shoot with decent macro capability.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, May 25, 2006
  10. Talal Itani

    Talal Itani Guest

    Which point and shoot digital camera has decent macro capability?

    Talal Itani, May 25, 2006
  11. Talal Itani

    CSM1 Guest

    "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message

    > Thank you for your informative reply. I have been using the camera at
    > it's 6cm minimum range, with macro on, and widest angle. I need to take
    > photographs of gems, like diamonds and rubies, so I do need to get closer
    > than 6 cm. So far, I have been setting the camera to it's high
    > resolution, and then use image editing program to crop, but with this, I
    > cannot see very
    > well the item on the LCD screen while taking the photos. I had hoped I
    > can turn digital zoom on, analog zoom off, and set the camera to low
    > resolution, in order to achieve cropping in the camera, but I could not do
    > that. Analog zoom always gets activated before digital zoom. You
    > mentioned other cameras. Are you referring to digital SLRs? I never
    > tried a digital SLR. I am considering a digital Rebel, but I worry I may
    > purchase it and get disappointed. I got used to looking at the LCD
    > display, when taking shots. I would appreciate further information from
    > you. Thanks!
    >

    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I own a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera and I am very please with it. I
    >>> now need to take pictures of very small objects, like watches and rings.
    >>> I am not able to get very close to the object with my Sony. Is there a
    >>> macro lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank
    >>> you very much.
    >>>
    >>> Bye

    >> In wide angle mode with macro, the camera can get to within 6 cm (about
    >> 2.5 inches). Do you need to get closer? PS--in telephoto, you can only
    >> get as close as 30 cm (about a foot--no better than if the macro button
    >> is disengaged)--and when between wide angle and tele, the closest macro
    >> is in between, so the closest macro will be done with the camera in full
    >> wide angle with the macro button engaged:
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscp200/ (note that there are 10
    >> pages in this review so be sure to click the <next> buttons at the bottom
    >> of each page.
    >>
    >> It doesn't look like an adapter is available to use filters or close-up
    >> lenses, so you may be stuck with what's mentioned above. The pricier
    >> cameras either have optional filter adapters available--or have built-in
    >> threads to accept filters and close-up lenses--and these'd really let you
    >> get closer.
    >>
    >> One further thought. Given that this is a 7 MP camera, use the highest
    >> quality setting (3072x2304 pixels). With this, you can crop the photo
    >> with photo editing software and have the watch/ring fill the entire
    >> resulting image.
    >>
    >> Craig

    There is a conversion lens adapter for the Sony DSC-P200. It is a VAD-PHC
    Lens Adapter.
    $29.99 at Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007OV436/102-5630994-3609751?v=glance&n=502394

    $20.99 here:
    http://www.superwarehouse.com/Sony_30mm_Cyber-shot_Lens_Adaptor/VAD-PHC/p/491162

    $26.95 at B&H.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...w=SOVADPHC&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=392153

    And if you search Google for "VAD-PHC" without quotes, you get a lot of
    hits.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, May 25, 2006
  12. Talal Itani

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:02:20 GMT, "Talal Itani" <>
    wrote:

    >Which point and shoot digital camera has decent macro capability?

    We have a Canon S2 IS, and it goes down to 0(zero) cm; the current S3
    IS does the same.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, May 25, 2006
  13. Talal Itani

    J. Clarke Guest

    Talal Itani wrote:

    > Which point and shoot digital camera has decent macro capability?

    Nikon Coolpix 950, 990, and 995 among older models, among current ones the
    Canon S2-IS and S3-IS.

    J. Clarke, May 25, 2006
  14. Talal Itani

    Talal Itani Guest

    Talal Itani, May 26, 2006
  15. This would not be the best option. Add first the adapter ring
    mentioned above, then a close up lens (single element) or
    "achromat" (two elements, for better sharpness) of the desired
    power for the magnification you want (you will probably need
    to experiment - but a mid value will give you less magnification
    at WA, more at tele, possibly about what you want) of the right
    thread size (you can get adapter rings to match different thread
    sizes). A good dealer, like www.bhphotovideo.com , can
    probably advise on parts if you buy from them. BTW, I prefer
    the Nikon close-up lenses and achromats (all are about $40
    each, I think), and 52mm ones can be adapted up or down to
    fit the filter size of the adapter ring on the camera.
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

    David Ruether, Aug 19, 2006
  16. Talal Itani

    Guest

    David Ruether wrote:
    > This would not be the best option. Add first the adapter ring
    > mentioned above, then a close up lens (single element) or
    > "achromat" (two elements, for better sharpness) of the desired
    > power for the magnification you want (you will probably need
    > to experiment - but a mid value will give you less magnification
    > at WA, more at tele, possibly about what you want) of the right
    > thread size (you can get adapter rings to match different thread
    > sizes). A good dealer, like www.bhphotovideo.com , can
    > probably advise on parts if you buy from them. BTW, I prefer
    > the Nikon close-up lenses and achromats (all are about $40
    > each, I think), and 52mm ones can be adapted up or down to
    > fit the filter size of the adapter ring on the camera.
    > --
    > David Ruether
    >

    > http://www.ferrario.com/ruether
    >
    > "Talal Itani" <> wrote in message news:ngCdg.7543$p13.7431@trnddc07...
    > >
    > > Sony has "telephoto conversion lenses" for their point and shoot digital cameras. Can these filters help me in my very closeup
    > > shots? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f=pd_bbs_2/002-1537730-6114460?_encoding=UTF8
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    how about scanning ?

    , Aug 20, 2006