closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (forpostage stamps)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dave, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making
    images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600
    (or that's the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size'
    files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>

    anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
    their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with
    that ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the
    ability to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus
    (for this need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good
    focus at about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the
    subject...

    alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
    digital cameras, both old AND new....

    wide open for suggestions, and thanks :)

    toolie

    --
    if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail address
    before you click send. thanks :)

    dave, Nov 10, 2005

  2. dave

    Frank ess Guest

    Re: closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (for postage stamps)

    dave wrote:
    > need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making
    > images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x
    > 600
    > (or that's the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel
    > size' files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be
    > suitable <?>
    > anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras
    > by their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera
    > with that ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra
    > lenses...also, the ability to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only'
    > would be a big plus (for this need). I suppose that means I'd need
    > have the lens in good focus at about have the lens in focus at about
    > a single -inch- from the subject...
    >
    > alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
    > digital cameras, both old AND new....
    >
    > wide open for suggestions, and thanks :)

    Look into the close-focus capabikityies of Nikon CoolPix 990 and 995.
    They make high-quality images and may suit your purpose, if you can't
    get your flat-bed scanner to do the job.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Nov 10, 2005

  3. dave

    Jim Guest

    "dave" <> wrote in message
    > need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making images
    > "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600 (or that's
    > the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size' files aren't
    > needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
    >
    > anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
    > their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with that
    > ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the ability
    > to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus (for this
    > need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good focus at
    > about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the subject...
    >
    > alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
    > digital cameras, both old AND new....
    >
    > wide open for suggestions, and thanks :)
    >
    > toolie
    >
    > --
    > if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail address
    > before you click send. thanks :)
    > --

    If I had need to do this, I would mount my 105mm f2.8 macro lens on my D70.
    I would focus as close as I could. Then, back at the computer, I would crop
    away all of the extraneous material.
    As I already own both lens and camera, the only incremental cost to me would
    be a copy stand if I felt need for it. Before buying a copy stand, I would
    try scanning the stamp on my flatbed scanner.
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 10, 2005
  4. dave

    Sheldon Guest

    Re: closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (for postage stamps)

    I had an older Sony Mavica that would easily get down to postage stamp size.

    Sheldon, Nov 11, 2005
  5. dave

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:40:01 -0500, dave <> wrote:

    >need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making
    >images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600
    >(or that's the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size'
    >files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
    >
    >anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
    >their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with
    >that ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the
    >ability to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus
    >(for this need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good
    >focus at about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the
    >subject...
    >
    >alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
    >digital cameras, both old AND new....
    >
    >wide open for suggestions, and thanks :)
    >
    >toolie

    An older Canon MiniDV video camera with a mem card would probably be good - the
    pics are perfect and you can get real close! Probably find one for a hundred
    bucks used...

    Bob, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Re: closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (for postage stamps)

    "dave" <> wrote in message
    > need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making images
    > "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600 (or that's
    > the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size' files aren't
    > needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
    >
    > anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
    > their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with that
    > ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the ability
    > to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus (for this
    > need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good focus at
    > about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the subject...
    >
    > alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
    > digital cameras, both old AND new....
    >
    > wide open for suggestions, and thanks :)
    >
    > toolie
    >
    > --
    > if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail address
    > before you click send. thanks :)

    My brand new Fuji FinePix S9000 can do super macro mode as close as 1 cm. 9
    mega pixel.

    I have owned it for a week. I love it. It accepts good old cable release,
    and external flash sync connections.

    Best Regards,

    Wannabe
    =======

    WannabeSomeone, Nov 11, 2005
  7. dave

    Ron Hunter Guest

    dave wrote:
    > need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making
    > images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600
    > (or that's the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size'
    > files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
    >
    > anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
    > their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with
    > that ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the
    > ability to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus
    > (for this need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good
    > focus at about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the
    > subject...
    >
    > alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
    > digital cameras, both old AND new....
    >
    > wide open for suggestions, and thanks :)
    >
    > toolie
    >
    > --
    > if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail address
    > before you click send. thanks :)
    > --

    The closeup range is listed in the specifications, but you may have
    problems finding comparison sites that isolate this feature. There are
    many cameras that will allow ranges down to 1/2 inch, or less. Just
    check the specs.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Nov 11, 2005
  8. dave

    Dave W Guest

    "dave" <> wrote in message
    > need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making images
    > "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600 (or that's
    > the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size' files aren't
    > needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
    > snipped <

    If this truly is going to be 'sole use', then, as Frank ess implies, the
    best solution is a flat bed scanner. Cheaper than the camera you will need,
    and up to the job at it's higher resolutions.

    Dave W.

    Dave W, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Re: closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (for postage stamps)

    On $DATE , WannabeSomeone wrote:

    > "dave" <> wrote in message
    >> need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be
    >> making images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either
    >> at 800 x 600 (or that's
    >> the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size'
    >> files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be
    >> suitable <?>
    >>
    >> anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital
    >> cameras by their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd
    >> prefer a camera with that ability "built in" withOUT having to
    >> buy extra lenses...also, the ability to have a 'fixed' or
    >> 'manual focus only' would be a big plus (for this need). I
    >> suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good focus at
    >> about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the
    >> subject...
    >>
    >> alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close
    >> focusing' digital cameras, both old AND new....
    >>
    >> wide open for suggestions, and thanks :)
    >>
    >> toolie
    >>
    >> --
    >> if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail
    >> address before you click send. thanks :)

    > My brand new Fuji FinePix S9000 can do super macro mode as close
    > as 1 cm. 9 mega pixel.
    >
    > I have owned it for a week. I love it. It accepts good old cable
    > release, and external flash sync connections.

    YEAH! YEAH! I get mine today!!!! Can't wait!!!

    --
    Regards,
    Fred.

    Fred Williams, Nov 11, 2005
  10. dave

    Bob Anderson Guest

    wrote:

    >anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
    >their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities?

    Canon Powershot S2 IS.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page5.asp

    Super Macro mode
    If its normal macro mode is nothing to write home about, the S2 IS has
    a rather unique trick up its sleeve - a 'super macro mode' that allows
    you to focus down to an unprecedented 0cm from the front element. Yes,
    that's right, this is the first compact we've ever seen that can
    actually focus on dirt on the front of the lens! Of course there
    aren't many things you can actually photograph from 0cm - they either
    need to be lit from behind (you can use the S2 IS to shoot 35mm slides
    (example) if you don't mind the cropping, distortion and corner
    softness!) or small enough that they don't fill the frame. In most
    cases the shadow of the lens obscures your subject so much that you
    can't use it at distances of less than a few centimetres, at which
    point the subect area you're photographing is around 40mm across -
    roughly the same as most of its competitors (such as the Panasonic
    FZ5), but with the ever-present danger that you'll move so close that
    you end up causing permanent damage to the front element of the lens.
    Still, it's fun to play with and does allow you to take some unique
    photographs.

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    Bob Anderson, Nov 11, 2005
  11. dave

    Bob Anderson wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:40:01 -0500, dave
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital
    >> cameras
    >> by their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities?

    > Canon Powershot S2 IS.
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page5.asp
    >
    > Super Macro mode
    > If its normal macro mode is nothing to write home about, the S2 IS
    > has
    > a rather unique trick up its sleeve - a 'super macro mode' that
    > allows
    > you to focus down to an unprecedented 0cm from the front element.
    > Yes,
    > that's right, this is the first compact we've ever seen that can
    > actually focus on dirt on the front of the lens! Of course there
    > aren't many things you can actually photograph from 0cm - they
    > either
    > need to be lit from behind (you can use the S2 IS to shoot 35mm
    > slides
    > (example) if you don't mind the cropping, distortion and corner
    > softness!) or small enough that they don't fill the frame. In most
    > cases the shadow of the lens obscures your subject so much that you
    > can't use it at distances of less than a few centimetres, at which
    > point the subect area you're photographing is around 40mm across -
    > roughly the same as most of its competitors (such as the Panasonic
    > FZ5), but with the ever-present danger that you'll move so close
    > that
    > you end up causing permanent damage to the front element of the
    > lens.
    > Still, it's fun to play with and does allow you to take some unique
    > photographs.

    Here's condensation on the front element of a Nikon CoolPix 5000 wide
    angle adapter:
    (crop)
    http://www.fototime.com/DCB616F97D49E77/orig.jpg
    (whole frame)
    http://www.fototime.com/40F7353419446AB/orig.jpg

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Nov 11, 2005
  12. Re: closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (for postage stamps)

    Bob Anderson wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:40:01 -0500, dave <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras
    >> by their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities?

    > Canon Powershot S2 IS.
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page5.asp
    >
    > Super Macro mode
    > If its normal macro mode is nothing to write home about, the S2 IS has
    > a rather unique trick up its sleeve - a 'super macro mode' that allows
    > you to focus down to an unprecedented 0cm from the front element.

    Somewhat of a marketing gimmick, isn't it?

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 11, 2005
  13. dave

    Bob Anderson Guest

    Re: closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (for postage stamps)

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:20:29 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Somewhat of a marketing gimmick, isn't it?

    might be, if you buy one...

    :)

    ---
    Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
    Eugene Oregon

    Bob Anderson, Nov 11, 2005
  14. dave

    kctan Guest

    Re: closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (for postage stamps)

    After all is a low res image, a cheap model but good flatbed scanner is more
    than sufficient.

    kctan, Nov 12, 2005
  15. dave

    SCD Guest

    Re: closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (for postage stamps)

    I second the comment from Frank re. the earlier Nikon Coolpix cameras
    (the ones that swivel in the middle). I had a 900, a 950 and now have
    the 4500 and they have super good macro ability.

    I use mine all the time to take close up work of knitting projects for
    our web site

    here's recent one - see the bottom two photos
    http://straw.com/cpy/patterns/scarves/scribble-kidMerino-Deco-stardust-scarf.html

    Here's a cotton chenille washcloth closeup
    http://straw.com/cpy/patterns/cotton_chenille_wcloth.html

    You should be able to pick up one of these used, maybe on Ebay.

    I paid about $900 for one of mine when they first came out and never
    regretted it!

    SCD

    SCD, Nov 13, 2005