closer...closer....RAM-based system

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    The day we can get rid of spinning platter HDs is a approaching.

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127103-c,memory/article.html

    New High-Capacity Flash Memory
    Samsung unveils chip that can be used to create 64GB flash memory cards.
    Dan Nystedt, IDG News Service
    Monday, September 11, 2006 09:00 AM PDT

    Samsung Electronics showed off its first 40-nanometer chip, a 32-gigabit
    NAND flash memory module that can be used in memory cards able to store up
    to 64 gigabytes of data, or 40 movies.

    The latest step into smaller chip manufacturing methods brings Samsung to
    the forefront of chip production, putting it ahead of other manufacturers,
    including Intel, which has only announced chips built at 45nm. The chips
    are also the seventh generation of NAND flash memory to follow in a Moore's
    law-type theory posited by Samsung, that the company will double the
    capacity of NAND flash every 12 months (read "Samsung Readies 32GB Memory
    Cards" for background.
    Smaller Chips Needed

    Such advances are vital to the consumer electronics industry. Users are
    demanding ever smaller devices that can do more, such as handsets with
    built-in mobile phone, computing, camera, and digital music playing
    functions. Demand for more storage to keep photos, videos, songs and other
    data has expanded rapidly over the past few years, and analysts expect the
    trend to continue.

    The 40nm chip production technique is key to making chips smaller, faster,
    more powerful, and cheaper to produce. A nanometer is a billionth of a
    meter, and the measurement is a guide to the size of the transistors and
    other parts that are etched onto the chips. Typically, the more
    transistors, and the closer they are together, the faster the chip can
    perform tasks.
    New Design Technique

    The company also revealed a new design technique, Charge Trap Flash (CTF),
    that will allow it to eventually shrink NAND chip features to 20nm, and
    produce 256-gigabit chips. In the 32-gigabit chips, the control gate in the
    CTF is only a fifth as big as conventional control gates on chips in a
    typical floating gate structure. With CTF, there is no floating gate.
    Instead, data is temporarily placed in a holding chamber made of silicon
    nitride.
    Chip for Hybrid Drives

    Samsung also released a new chip for its hybrid drives, a kind of hard drive
    aimed at laptops that uses NAND flash as a disk cache, to speed boot-up
    times and reduce power consumption

    The new chip, dubbed an SoC (system-on-chip) because it does the work of
    several chips, incorporates up to 4-gigabytes of NAND flash as a data
    buffer and helps further speeds boot-up times while lengthening battery
    life, the company said.

    The chips will be in mass production in November.

    Samsung is one of several companies working on hybrid drives. Seagate
    Technology and Intel are also developing the technology for notebook
    computers.
    steve, Sep 12, 2006

  2. steve

    Jack Hammond Guest

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:23:03 +1200, steve <> wrote:

> [...]
    >typical floating gate structure. With CTF, there is no floating gate.
    >Instead, data is temporarily placed in a holding chamber made of silicon
    >nitride.
    >Chip for Hybrid Drives
    >
    >Samsung also released a new chip for its hybrid drives, a kind of hard drive
    >aimed at laptops that uses NAND flash as a disk cache, to speed boot-up
    >times and reduce power consumption
    >
    >The new chip, dubbed an SoC (system-on-chip) because it does the work of
    >several chips, incorporates up to 4-gigabytes of NAND flash as a data
    >buffer and helps further speeds boot-up times while lengthening battery
    >life, the company said.
    >
    >The chips will be in mass production in November.
    >
    >Samsung is one of several companies working on hybrid drives. Seagate
    >Technology and Intel are also developing the technology for notebook

    Flash Rams have a very limited RW life span, some 1000 write cycles from memory..
    Jack Hammond, Sep 12, 2006

  3. steve

    Martin Guest

    "Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message
    <SNIP>

    > Flash Rams have a very limited RW life span, some 1000 write cycles
    > from memory..

    "From memory" - Thats funny!!! (-;....oh, wasn't it meant to
    be.....nevermind....i think you may find its 100000 write cycles at worst...
    Martin, Sep 12, 2006
  4. steve

    Matt Guest

> [...]
    >>nitride.
    >>Chip for Hybrid Drives
    >>
    >>Samsung also released a new chip for its hybrid drives, a kind of hard
    >>drive
    >>aimed at laptops that uses NAND flash as a disk cache, to speed boot-up
    >>times and reduce power consumption
    >>
    >>The new chip, dubbed an SoC (system-on-chip) because it does the work of
    >>several chips, incorporates up to 4-gigabytes of NAND flash as a data
    >>buffer and helps further speeds boot-up times while lengthening battery
    >>life, the company said.
    >>
    >>The chips will be in mass production in November.
    >>
    >>Samsung is one of several companies working on hybrid drives. Seagate
    >>Technology and Intel are also developing the technology for notebook
    >>computers.

    > Flash Rams have a very limited RW life span, some 1000 write cycles

    That will get better with improving technology.
    Matt, Sep 12, 2006
  5. steve

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in

    > "From memory" - Thats funny!!! (-;....oh, wasn't it meant to
    > be.....nevermind....i think you may find its 100000 write cycles at
    > worst...

    Interestingly, the manufacturer of your CF card does make a difference.
    Some have good scatter gather, and some just seem to flake out way before
    others in the same environment, with the same type of data being written to
    them. I have had good results with Sandisk vs Adata with Sandisk lasting
    longer. I guess the extra little bit of money is worth it.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 12, 2006
  6. In message <1158038462.141941@ftpsrv1>, Matt wrote:

    > "Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Flash Rams have a very limited RW life span, some 1000 write cycles
    >> from memory..

    > That will get better with improving technology.

    That's one aspect of flash RAM performance which has NOT been improving.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2006
  7. steve

    Stu Fleming Guest

    > In message <1158038462.141941@ftpsrv1>, Matt wrote:
    >
    >> "Jack Hammond" <jm@yah***.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Flash Rams have a very limited RW life span, some 1000 write cycles
    >>> from memory..

    >> That will get better with improving technology.

    > That's one aspect of flash RAM performance which has NOT been improving.

    And one that can't really significantly improve...
    JFFS goes some way to addressing the issue though.
    Stu Fleming, Sep 13, 2006
  8. steve

    Dogboy Guest

    Jack Hammond wrote:
> [...]
    >> nitride.
    >> Chip for Hybrid Drives
    >>
    >> Samsung also released a new chip for its hybrid drives, a kind of hard drive
    >> aimed at laptops that uses NAND flash as a disk cache, to speed boot-up
    >> times and reduce power consumption
    >>
    >> The new chip, dubbed an SoC (system-on-chip) because it does the work of
    >> several chips, incorporates up to 4-gigabytes of NAND flash as a data
    >> buffer and helps further speeds boot-up times while lengthening battery
    >> life, the company said.
    >>
    >> The chips will be in mass production in November.
    >>
    >> Samsung is one of several companies working on hybrid drives. Seagate
    >> Technology and Intel are also developing the technology for notebook
    >> computers.

    > Flash Rams have a very limited RW life span, some 1000 write cycles from memory..

    More like 100,000 to 1,000,000 write cycles these days according to the
    documentation.
    Dogboy, Sep 15, 2006