    order to get anywhere near high office he has to make so many
    compromises and submit to so many humiliations that he becomes
    indistinguishable from a streetwalker." ...H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

    FiarHors, Jun 21, 2007

  2. FiarHors

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:44:18 GMT, FiarHors <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam service.
    > I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would someone
    >explain this term to me? And what is the alternative? Explain please.

    How about ask your ISP? Doesn't make any sense to me.

    Evan Platt, Jun 21, 2007

  3. FiarHors

    Mike Easter Guest

    FiarHors wrote:

    > I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam
    > service. I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would
    > someone explain this term to me? And what is the alternative? Explain

    please.

    ClearMyMail's service requires that the CMM system be able to pop your
    mail from your ISP and then you pop your mail from CMM.

    If there is anything which would interfere with CMM pop/ing your mail,
    the system can't work.

    Some providers provide webmail only, which can't be popped. That would
    be a form of 'closed'. If your provider provides pop, but does not
    provide access to the mailserver from a 'foreign' IP, then CMM would not
    work for you, and your provider's pop server would be closed to CMM.

    Some providers require that their pop server be accessed from an IP
    address within their own system. Your connectivity and presumably your
    mail provider is shaw.ca - which has pop and webmail both. If shaw's
    pop requires access from a shaw IP address, then it wouldn't be
    accessible to be pop/ed from/by the CMM

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2007
  4. FiarHors

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > FiarHors wrote:
    >
    >> I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam
    >> service. I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would
    >> someone explain this term to me? And what is the alternative?

    > ClearMyMail's service requires that the CMM system be able to pop your
    > mail from your ISP and then you pop your mail from CMM.

    > Some providers require that their pop server be accessed from an IP
    > address within their own system. Your connectivity and presumably
    > your mail provider is shaw.ca - which has pop and webmail both. If
    > shaw's pop requires access from a shaw IP address, then it wouldn't be
    > accessible to be pop/ed from/by the CMM

    Here's what shaw sez:

    http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/Email/Email FAQs.htm#q4
    4. How do I check my email when I'm away from home? - You can send and
    receive email from anywhere using webmail.shaw.ca.

    .... which is shaw's way of saying 'you can't use your email agent to pop
    your mail when you are away from home' because you won't be accessing
    the shaw server from a shaw IP, and it also means that you can't use
    CMM's server to pop your mail at all because CMM doesn't have a shaw IP
    either.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2007
  5. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> FiarHors wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam
    >>> service. I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would
    >>> someone explain this term to me? And what is the alternative?

    >> ClearMyMail's service requires that the CMM system be able to pop your
    >> mail from your ISP and then you pop your mail from CMM.

    >> Some providers require that their pop server be accessed from an IP
    >> address within their own system. Your connectivity and presumably
    >> your mail provider is shaw.ca - which has pop and webmail both. If
    >> shaw's pop requires access from a shaw IP address, then it wouldn't be
    >> accessible to be pop/ed from/by the CMM

    > Here's what shaw sez:
    >
    > http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/Email/Email FAQs.htm#q4
    > 4. How do I check my email when I'm away from home? - You can send and
    > receive email from anywhere using webmail.shaw.ca.
    >
    > ... which is shaw's way of saying 'you can't use your email agent to pop
    > your mail when you are away from home' because you won't be accessing
    > the shaw server from a shaw IP, and it also means that you can't use
    > CMM's server to pop your mail at all because CMM doesn't have a shaw IP
    > either.

    What a pain in the ass. I'm glad I can pop my email from
    whereverthehell I happen to be.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2007
  6. FiarHors

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> ... which is shaw's way of saying 'you can't use your email agent to
    >> pop your mail when you are away from home' because you won't be
    >> accessing the shaw server from a shaw IP, and it also means that you
    >> can't use CMM's server to pop your mail at all because CMM doesn't
    >> have a shaw IP either.

    > What a pain in the ass. I'm glad I can pop my email from
    > whereverthehell I happen to be.

    I have a friend who has cable modem service which doesn't allow
    'foreign' IP access to her pop and doesn't provide webmail without
    additional cost:

    Q. How Do I Access My Email When Away From Home? - A. Wave provides an
    upgrade to your mail service called WebMail. The WebMail service allows
    you to check your email account from any web browser, anywhere in the
    world. WebMail is available for an additional $1.95 monthly.

    They also have some other things wrong with their email service, such as
    a history of dropping goodmail on the floor.

    When I was trying to figure that one out, I took a piece of plaintext
    mail which had disappeared and sent it from my normal provider and from
    gmail; unsuccessfully, disappeared with no bounce. Chopped it in half,
    unsuccessful both, no bounce. Chopped the half in half, unsuccessful
    both, no bounce. Reduced it to one sentence, sucessful. During the
    troubleshooting, I started copying to myself so that I could provide her
    provider with a message id and time for the lost mails; and got the
    recipient to make a request of her trouble desk that they correspond
    with me about what my problems were.

    They determined that the problem was caused by 'the spam filter'.
    Naturally I had an opinion about what kind of spam filter drops normal
    plaintext mail with few words on the floor.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2007
  7. FiarHors

    Plato Guest

    FiarHors wrote:

    > I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam service.
    > I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would someone
    > explain this term to me? And what is the alternative? Explain please.

    If that service auto sends a reply to any person who sends an email to
    you, and if they have to fill out a form to reply, again, it may not be
    worth it, as it's quite annoying to answer a persons email to you then
    you get this notice/form you have to fill out to make sure they get your
    work and/or answer to your problem. For example, if you use such a
    service and require support from somebody like HP, your auto mail reply
    will simply be ignored.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 21, 2007
  8. FiarHors

    Mike Easter Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > FiarHors wrote:
    >>
    >> I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam
    >> service.

    > If that service auto sends a reply to any person who sends an email to
    > you,

    I was suspicious of C/R activity myself, but after looking at the site,
    I'm pretty sure that none of that is going on.

    CMM pops the mail and filters it. Whether they do any bounce/rejecting
    at transaction or not is unclear. They do hold accepted and suspect
    mail and make it accessible to the client but it doesn't download when
    the client pops their filtered mail from CMM. The site makes no mention
    of challenging anything.

    http://www.clearmymail.com/how_we_block_spam_part1.aspx How our Spam
    Blocker gives Total Protection

    There's nothing in that diagram and its explanations that involves
    challenges.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 21, 2007
  9. FiarHors

    FiarHors Guest

    FiarHors wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam service.
    > I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would someone explain
    > this term to me? And what is the alternative? Explain please.
    >
    > Thank you for your assistance.

    Thanks all for your info.

    --
    Ron

    "A professional politician is a professionally dishonorable man. In

    FiarHors, Jun 22, 2007