    I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
    even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?
    , Jun 20, 2004

  2. Rich Clark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On a few DVD titles I own the "CC" for "closed captioning" is on the
    > box, but I can't get the closed captioning to appear when I play them.
    > I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
    > even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?

    Closed captioning should *only* work through the TV tuner. It's different
    from the subtitle feature you activate on your DVD player.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Guest

    If the box the dvd is packaged in has the "CC" symbol on it, shouldn't I
    get captioning when I engage the sub-title button on the dvd player
    remote?
    I just bought a dvd set (Tour of Duty 5 disk set) and it has the "CC"
    symbol on the box. There is no option on the menu for sub titles, and
    shows nothing when I push te su title button on the dvd remote.
    , Jun 20, 2004
  4. On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 07:06:25 -0400, wrote:

    >If the box the dvd is packaged in has the "CC" symbol on it, shouldn't I
    >get captioning when I engage the sub-title button on the dvd player
    >remote?

    No, Closed Captions ("CC") are encoded on line 19 - 21 of the video
    signal so that they may be decoded by an EXTERNAL Closed Captioning
    decoder, usually the one in your TV, though in the early days of
    Closed captioning you could buy a standalone unit. No DVD player ever
    made has a built in Closed Captioning decoder. (I know of one
    laserdisc player that could decode CC subs on laserdiscs.)

    >I just bought a dvd set (Tour of Duty 5 disk set) and it has the "CC"
    >symbol on the box. There is no option on the menu for sub titles, and
    >shows nothing when I push te su title button on the dvd remote.

    As I said "CC" does not mean subtitles. If you want to see subtitles
    on a DVD the back of the box has to specifically say "Subtitles"
    followed by "English, English for Hearing-Impaired, French, Spanish.."
    or whatever. These subtitles are displayed from an Alpha channel
    within the DVD's Vobs for direct display via the subtitle button on
    the DVD player.

    Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 20, 2004
  5. Stan Brown Guest

    "" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I just bought a dvd set (Tour of Duty 5 disk set) and it has the "CC"
    >symbol on the box. There is no option on the menu for sub titles, and
    >shows nothing when I push te su title button on the dvd remote.

    Once again, you're mixing up two different things. Closed captions
    are NOT subtitles. You should not expect to get closed captions when
    you ask for subtitles.

    A disc can have closed captions, subtitles, both, or neither. Many
    discs don't have English subtitles but do have English closed
    captions, which seems rather silly to me since the extra production
    cost would be minimal and the text is already available.

    >If the box the dvd is packaged in has the "CC" symbol on it, shouldn't I
    >get captioning when I engage the sub-title button on the dvd player
    >remote?

    No.

    Closed captions are controlled by your TV. Pull out your TV
    instruction manual and find out how to display closed captions.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jun 20, 2004
  6. Manda Guest

    wrote:

    > On a few DVD titles I own the "CC" for "closed captioning" is on the
    > box, but I can't get the closed captioning to appear when I play them.
    > I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
    > even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?

    In my experience, sometimes TVs can be a bit finicky about DVD closed
    captioning. One TV I had wouldn't display the captions if I had been
    watching TV for a while first or had just been playing another DVD.
    Sometimes turning on the DVD player then the TV will fix this. Other times
    I have not been able to get CC to work at all and am convinced that the
    case is incorrect.

    Meanwhile, my multi-region player (Portland PVD-1000, made by Daewoo) seems
    to block CC. While I'm aware that overseas closed captioning formats might
    not work on American TVs, I've tried region 1 DVDs that I know have CC with
    no success.

    Manda
    Manda, Jun 20, 2004
  7. Guest

    OK........forget sub-titles on this dvd, I know it doesn't have it, but
    it does have the "CC" symbol on the box. My tv has a built in CC
    decoder.......I use CC all the time, and know how to set it. So why no
    captioning on this dvd?
    , Jun 20, 2004
  8. Rich Clark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > OK........forget sub-titles on this dvd, I know it doesn't have it, but
    > it does have the "CC" symbol on the box. My tv has a built in CC
    > decoder.......I use CC all the time, and know how to set it. So why no
    > captioning on this dvd?

    Can you get CC from *any* DVD that purports to have it? If yes, then it's
    possibly a DVD that's mislabeled. If no, then there's something going on
    with your player, or the interaction between your player and your TV.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Jun 20, 2004
  9. Guest

    I don't own many DVD's yet, but actually the CC doesn't work on any of
    them, so there must be some conflict between the dvd player and the tv.
    This really sucks 'cause I depend on CC or english sub titles.......I'm
    hearing impaired.

    Richard S.
    , Jun 20, 2004
  10. Biz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I don't own many DVD's yet, but actually the CC doesn't work on any of
    > them, so there must be some conflict between the dvd player and the tv.
    > This really sucks 'cause I depend on CC or english sub titles.......I'm
    > hearing impaired.
    >
    > Richard S.

    How do you have your DVD player connected to your tv? Rf demodulator,
    composite, s-video ,component?
    Biz, Jun 20, 2004
  11. Guest

    I'm using the s-video connection from the dvd player to the tv.
    , Jun 20, 2004
  12. On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:07:02 -0400, wrote:

    >I'm using the s-video connection from the dvd player to the tv.

    I know it's ridiculous but some players don't have captioning on the
    Component (Y/C or R-y, B-y, Y) outputs. just composite. Although the
    picture is poorer just for testing try usng the composite out of the
    player. I'm severely deaf too so I've been through all this.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 20, 2004
  13. Guest

    I thought of that.......tried the composit connection..........still no
    captions.........I've checked all the connections and settings on the
    dvd payer and tv, and still......no captions.......its a mystery.
    , Jun 20, 2004
  14. zoltan47 Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:44:06 -0400, wrote:

    >On a few DVD titles I own the "CC" for "closed captioning" is on the
    >box, but I can't get the closed captioning to appear when I play them.
    >I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
    >even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?

    Depends on the TV. When I got my second player, I gave my old one to a
    family member. When I would visit play DVDs, the TV would display the
    CCs from broadcast and VHS signals, but not from the DVD player.
    zoltan47, Jun 20, 2004
  15. Rich Clark wrote:
    >>On a few DVD titles I own the "CC" for "closed captioning" is on the
    >>box, but I can't get the closed captioning to appear when I play them.
    >>I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
    >>even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?

    > Closed captioning should *only* work through the TV tuner. It's different
    > from the subtitle feature you activate on your DVD player.
    >
    > RichC

    My cheap, feature-laden Toshiba SD-3800 can do captions, presumably for
    people whose tvs don't do them, or have a screwy decoder (like mine).

    --
    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis
    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 20, 2004
  16. wrote:
    > On a few DVD titles I own the "CC" for "closed captioning" is on the
    > box, but I can't get the closed captioning to appear when I play them.
    > I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
    > even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?

    Subtitles on a DVD are not the same thing as captions, they are a
    separate video stream that is over-layed on top of the movie, in fact it
    can display more than just text, if ever you've seen one of those DVDs
    that has a little video window in front of the movie as a special
    feature, that is really the same thing as a subtitle track, technically.

    Closed captions are actually encoded into the video signal, and if a DVD
    claims to have closed captions but you can't get your tv to accept them,
    perhaps your tv has multiple CC settings you are unaware of, or has a
    bad decoder. Try it on a friend's tv. If all else fails, perhaps the
    DVD is mis-labeled.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 20, 2004
  17. Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    >>I'm using the s-video connection from the dvd player to the tv.

    > I know it's ridiculous but some players don't have captioning on the
    > Component (Y/C or R-y, B-y, Y) outputs. just composite. Although the
    > picture is poorer just for testing try usng the composite out of the
    > player. I'm severely deaf too so I've been through all this.
    >
    > . Steve .

    So you couldn't care less about having a stereo track or a 6.1 DTS
    track? I hope you're not filling out any opinion forms that
    DVD-producers are going to see! :-D

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 20, 2004
  18. wrote in message news:<>...
    > On a few DVD titles I own the "CC" for "closed captioning" is on the
    > box, but I can't get the closed captioning to appear when I play them.
    > I engage the sub-title button on the remote and nothing comes up. I
    > even engage the closed captioning setting on the tv. What gives?

    What type of player do you have? Some JVC players have been known to
    block or filter out the closed-captions of a video signal. Other
    people have reported this problem, and I ran across this when I
    purchased a JVC. I then returned it and got a Panasonic player, and
    the CC signal was working again.

    Just curious, which titles have you tried? Some studios, like
    Universal, claim to have closed captions on their DVDs, but they don't
    really encode a CC signal into the video. They just use the subtitles
    feature of the DVD. I think Lion's Gate does this on some of their
    titles also. Most Criterion titles don't have CC either, but usually
    have subtitles.

    Most other major studios, like Warner Bros., Fox, Paramount,
    Dreamworks, Columbia/TriStar, Disney/Buena Vista all have closed
    captions.

    Smaller studios will not include CC or subtitles.

    Lee
    limacharliewhiskey, Jun 21, 2004
  19. Guest

    Just my luck.......my dvd player is a JVC. My tv is a 27" JVC with CC
    capabilities that work fine on tv broadcasts and VHS tapes, but not with
    dvd's

    "Platoon" dvd............marked "CC" on the box, but I get no captions.
    But get this.......it has sub-titles for french, and spanish, but NO
    ENGLISH.

    Tour of Duty 5 disk dvd set..........no sub-titles, "CC" marked on box,
    but get no captions.

    Man With No Name (Clint Eastwood Italian westerns, you know which
    ones)..........has english sub-titles (Yea!). Again, "CC" marked on the
    box, but get no captions.

    Richard S.
    , Jun 22, 2004
  20. Biz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just my luck.......my dvd player is a JVC. My tv is a 27" JVC with CC
    > capabilities that work fine on tv broadcasts and VHS tapes, but not with
    > dvd's
    >
    > "Platoon" dvd............marked "CC" on the box, but I get no captions.
    > But get this.......it has sub-titles for french, and spanish, but NO
    > ENGLISH.
    >
    > Tour of Duty 5 disk dvd set..........no sub-titles, "CC" marked on box,
    > but get no captions.
    >
    > Man With No Name (Clint Eastwood Italian westerns, you know which
    > ones)..........has english sub-titles (Yea!). Again, "CC" marked on the
    > box, but get no captions.
    >
    > Richard S.

    So just try another player. If you don't have another, have a friend bring
    one over(non-JVC) and give it a try.
    Biz, Jun 22, 2004