    ones?

    All modern sets, of course, do this just fine with a 480i input.

    Please note--this issue relates to closed captions, not to subtitles.
    BobT, Dec 25, 2004

  2. BobT

    Jordan Guest

    Why use cc when you can just turn on DVD subtitles?

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Dec 28, 2004

  3. BobT

    Impmon Guest

    On 27 Dec 2004 17:02:48 -0800, "Jordan" <> wrote:

    >Why use cc when you can just turn on DVD subtitles?

    Not all DVD have subtitles. I know some of my DVD are CC only, no
    sub. I am still interested in the answer to the original question:
    can standard CC work on HDTV?
    Impmon, Dec 28, 2004
  4. BobT

    Jordan Guest

    Impmon wrote:
    > On 27 Dec 2004 17:02:48 -0800, "Jordan" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Why use cc when you can just turn on DVD subtitles?

    > Not all DVD have subtitles. I know some of my DVD are CC only, no
    > sub. I am still interested in the answer to the original question:
    > can standard CC work on HDTV?
    > --
    > To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net

    My experience has been that the cc signal is encoded in the red and
    white audio cables so as long as those are connected to the set then
    the cc should work. (I found this out by accident when I had
    disconnected those in favor of digital audio and found that the cc no
    longer worked.)

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Dec 28, 2004
  5. BobT

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Impmon wrote:
    > On 27 Dec 2004 17:02:48 -0800, "Jordan" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Why use cc when you can just turn on DVD subtitles?

    > Not all DVD have subtitles. I know some of my DVD are CC only, no
    > sub.

    Also, CC provides information that subs don't, such as soundtrack and sound
    effects information, as well as directional speech (i.e. CC is often on the
    side of the screen that the speaker is).

    Mike Kohary, Dec 30, 2004
  6. BobT

    Impmon Guest

    On 28 Dec 2004 09:55:03 -0800, "Jordan" <> wrote:

    >My experience has been that the cc signal is encoded in the red and
    >white audio cables so as long as those are connected to the set then
    >the cc should work. (I found this out by accident when I had
    >disconnected those in favor of digital audio and found that the cc no
    >longer worked.)

    Sorry but closed caption signal are encoded in video and not in audio.
    If your TV has a V-hold, tweak it a bit and you should see a black
    bar, the closed captioned code is a series of white dots and they
    generally are in line 21 of the TV signal.
    Impmon, Jan 4, 2005