    "Closed Captions for the hearing impaired." I've tried selecting both
    and still I get no closed captions. Can someone tell me if there's a
    way to activate them?

    Jim Bond, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Jim Bond

    Biz Guest

    CC are always there if the disk was made that way and is controlled by
    turning it on/off with your tv remote. Subtitles are turned on/off if
    included on teh disk through a menu choice usually involved with language
    selection. Which are you trying to use?

    Biz, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Jim Bond

    Jim Bond Guest

    Both. I turned on the CC feature on my TV and also went to the Audio
    Control portion of the DVD's menu section, where I tried both of the
    English choices, mentioned below. Still no captions or subtitles.

    Jim Bond, Dec 17, 2005
  4. Jim Bond

    Biz Guest

    Maybe if you actually name the DVD you are trying to watch someone else that
    has it could offer better advice. Does the disk have CC on it? There
    should be a CC symbol somewhere on the packaging. If not, does the DVD even
    have subtitles on it? Have you ever sucessfully used your tv to display CC
    b4? Do you happen to be using a JVC DVD player?

    Biz, Dec 17, 2005
  5. Jim Bond

    Jim Bond Guest

    The DVD player is a "brand X"--EVA. I use it in playback mode only in
    my basement workout room. I have no problems with turning on and off
    the Closed Captions feature on TV shows I've recorded on my VCR
    upstairs. The DVD is one of the previous seasons of a show that plays
    in Showtime, if that's of any help.

    One thing, I noticed that the DVD player is connected to the TV via a
    single coaxial cable. I'm wondering if that set up may work for VCR
    media but not for DVD media?

    Jim Bond, Dec 17, 2005
  6. Jim Bond

    Manda Guest

    Jim Bond <> wrote:

    > The DVD player is a "brand X"--EVA.

    My no-name, Daewoo-made player somehow seems to block Closed Captioning.
    Captions show up fine with my Sony but disappear when the same disc is put
    in this other player. I don't know if the fact it's been modified via
    remote to be region-free is the problem or just cheap craftmanship.

    Manda

    Manda, Dec 18, 2005
  7. Jim Bond

    Jim Bond Guest

    The plot thickens. This morning, I started watching another DVD, this
    one a special put out by WGN, the Boston PBS station. The menu
    section explicitly says the disc has been programmed to play Closed
    Captions as soon as you select same on your TV controller. I did
    so--and no CC.

    Jim Bond, Dec 19, 2005
  8. Jim Bond

    Biz Guest

    Try another DVD player, my guess is that Brand X you bought doesnt support
    passing the CC to your tv, like more than a few JVC's supposedly didnt do a
    few years ago. I thought WGN was channel 9 out of Chicago, home of Cub's
    baseball, can 2 stations have teh same call letters?

    Biz, Dec 19, 2005