    Ive told the lady who owns it Im installing Linux on her machine... no
    more troubles.. ever :\

    </rant>

    Shane, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Shane

    thingy Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > What a freakin nightmare
    > googled around and it seems I have to bind netbeui to one of the
    > Network adaptors and then unbind network components from tcp/ip
    > But.....
    > after 5 friggin trys port 139 is _still_ open..
    > Ive told the lady who owns it Im installing Linux on her machine... no
    > more troubles.. ever :\
    >
    > </rant>

    I dont understand why you want netbeui at all, it is an obsolete, single
    subnet networking protocol, I would simply remove it.

    tcp/ip and networking stuff should be (un)bindable to each interface on
    MS OS, it usually works, maybe you need a reboot?

    Zone alarm (or similar) would be a solution I would recommend anyway.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:03:29 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> What a freakin nightmare
    >> googled around and it seems I have to bind netbeui to one of the Network
    >> adaptors and then unbind network components from tcp/ip But.....
    >> after 5 friggin trys port 139 is _still_ open.. Ive told the lady who
    >> owns it Im installing Linux on her machine... no more troubles.. ever :\
    >>
    >> </rant>
    >>

    > I dont understand why you want netbeui at all, it is an obsolete, single
    > subnet networking protocol, I would simply remove it.
    >
    > tcp/ip and networking stuff should be (un)bindable to each interface on MS
    > OS, it usually works, maybe you need a reboot?
    >
    > Zone alarm (or similar) would be a solution I would recommend anyway.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    The whole idea of installing netbeui is.. its an unroutable proto..
    meaning its not supposed to be able to get itself very far
    5 reboots later and port 139 is _still_ open
    a firewall would be nice.. but not an option
    I really am shaking my head with this machine... its specs are lower than
    my firewall

    Shane, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Shane wrote:

    > The whole idea of installing netbeui is.. its an unroutable proto..
    > meaning its not supposed to be able to get itself very far
    > 5 reboots later and port 139 is _still_ open
    > a firewall would be nice.. but not an option
    > I really am shaking my head with this machine... its specs are lower than
    > my firewall

    Disable file & printer sharing on the NIC/modem?

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Shane wrote:

    > The whole idea of installing netbeui is.. its an unroutable proto..
    > meaning its not supposed to be able to get itself very far
    > 5 reboots later and port 139 is _still_ open
    > a firewall would be nice.. but not an option
    > I really am shaking my head with this machine... its specs are lower than
    > my firewall

    What is the network setup? Is there 2 NICs involved?
    Good idea to use netbeui instead of IP, but don't/won't you need to
    access the internet?

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 27, 2005
  6. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:08:22 +1200, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> The whole idea of installing netbeui is.. its an unroutable proto..
    >> meaning its not supposed to be able to get itself very far 5 reboots
    >> later and port 139 is _still_ open a firewall would be nice.. but not an
    >> option I really am shaking my head with this machine... its specs are
    >> lower than my firewall

    > What is the network setup? Is there 2 NICs involved? Good idea to use
    > netbeui instead of IP, but don't/won't you need to access the internet?

    I was following this
    http://grc.com/su-rebinding9x.htm

    the real question is.. if she didnt have such a decent set of ...
    would I have bothered even touching her machine :)

    oh and... I _really_ need to learn how to use the comma button

    Shane, Aug 27, 2005
  7. Shane

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:48:25 +1200, in message
     <-a-geek.net>, Shane wrote:

    > What a freakin nightmare
    > googled around and it seems I have to bind netbeui to one of the
    > Network adaptors and then unbind network components from tcp/ip
    > But.....
    > after 5 friggin trys port 139 is _still_ open..

    If WinME works the same as Win9x, then

    1. Go to C:\Windows\System\
    2. Rename VNBT.386 to VNBT.BAK
    3. Restart Windows.

    No more open port 139.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.

    Ralph Fox, Aug 27, 2005
  8. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:48:25 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > What a freakin nightmare
    > googled around and it seems I have to bind netbeui to one of the Network
    > adaptors and then unbind network components from tcp/ip But.....
    > after 5 friggin trys port 139 is _still_ open.. Ive told the lady who owns
    > it Im installing Linux on her machine... no more troubles.. ever :\
    >
    > </rant>

    _finally_ fixed it
    found that microsoft client for networks was still bound to the dial up
    adapter
    thanks all for input

    Shane, Aug 27, 2005