Close focus P&S

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Prometheus, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. Prometheus

    Prometheus Guest

    I am looking for a P&S under about 150GBP which provides continuos focus
    down to about 10-15cm with a (35mm equiv.) focal length of 100mm, or
    more. Resolution and noise are not too important since it is going to be
    used in doors on a bench top with good lighting for taking photographs
    of damaged items between one and 5mm across.

    My Minolta Xt does the job well, but it is time I had one for the Lab. I
    have looked at a few models, but they seem to have specs. not dissimilar
    to:
    1.5m to inf any length.
    0.5m to 1.5m (LONG)
    2cm to 1m (WIDE)

    The problem being that the area covered at the closest wide focus is
    about as wide as the closest long focus and both are too wide. I could
    use digital zoom, or cropping, to take a 3Mp rectangle from a 10Mp
    frame. Having full date and time imprinted on the frame would be an
    advantage.

    I have looked at a few review sites, but whilst they quote the closest
    focus the omit to state at what focal length this is obtained.

    If anyone can suggest a few models to look at it will be appreciated.
    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.

    Prometheus, Aug 18, 2007

  2. Prometheus

    Charlie Self Guest

    On Aug 18, 11:53 am, Prometheus <Prometh...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > I am looking for a P&S under about 150GBP which provides continuos focus
    > down to about 10-15cm with a (35mm equiv.) focal length of 100mm, or
    > more. Resolution and noise are not too important since it is going to be
    > used in doors on a bench top with good lighting for taking photographs
    > of damaged items between one and 5mm across.
    >
    > My Minolta Xt does the job well, but it is time I had one for the Lab. I
    > have looked at a few models, but they seem to have specs. not dissimilar
    > to:
    > 1.5m to inf any length.
    > 0.5m to 1.5m (LONG)
    > 2cm to 1m (WIDE)
    >
    > The problem being that the area covered at the closest wide focus is
    > about as wide as the closest long focus and both are too wide. I could
    > use digital zoom, or cropping, to take a 3Mp rectangle from a 10Mp
    > frame. Having full date and time imprinted on the frame would be an
    > advantage.
    >
    > I have looked at a few review sites, but whilst they quote the closest
    > focus the omit to state at what focal length this is obtained.
    >
    > If anyone can suggest a few models to look at it will be appreciated.
    > --
    > Ian G8ILZ
    > There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    > ~Ansel Adams

    I won't swear to this, but you might want to check out one of the old
    Nikon Coolpix 995 models. I recall a friend having one, and his
    focused down under 1" (sorry, but I slept poorly so playing with
    metrification is not a feature of the day). You can probably pick one
    of these up used for under your posted amount...overall, the camera is
    a 3 MP. Don't know about the imprinting, but DPReviews has an archived
    review that might help. Or did have last year.

    Charlie Self, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Prometheus

    jpc Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:53:53 +0100, Prometheus <Prometheus@127.0.0.1>
    wrote:

    >I am looking for a P&S under about 150GBP which provides continuos focus
    >down to about 10-15cm with a (35mm equiv.) focal length of 100mm, or
    >more. Resolution and noise are not too important since it is going to be
    >used in doors on a bench top with good lighting for taking photographs
    >of damaged items between one and 5mm across.
    >
    >My Minolta Xt does the job well, but it is time I had one for the Lab. I
    >have looked at a few models, but they seem to have specs. not dissimilar
    >to:
    > 1.5m to inf any length.
    > 0.5m to 1.5m (LONG)
    > 2cm to 1m (WIDE)
    >
    >The problem being that the area covered at the closest wide focus is
    >about as wide as the closest long focus and both are too wide. I could
    >use digital zoom, or cropping, to take a 3Mp rectangle from a 10Mp
    >frame. Having full date and time imprinted on the frame would be an
    >advantage.
    >
    >I have looked at a few review sites, but whilst they quote the closest
    >focus the omit to state at what focal length this is obtained.
    >
    >If anyone can suggest a few models to look at it will be appreciated.

    The OLY sp350 has an excellent macro mode. It's recently been
    discontiuned but I suspect you could still pick one up for ~200US.

    jpc, Aug 18, 2007
  4. Prometheus

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <>,
    Charlie Self <> writes
    >I won't swear to this, but you might want to check out one of the old
    >Nikon Coolpix 995 models. I recall a friend having one, and his focused
    >down under 1" (sorry, but I slept poorly so playing with metrification
    >is not a feature of the day). You can probably pick one of these up
    >used for under your posted amount...overall, the camera is a 3 MP.
    >Don't know about the imprinting, but DPReviews has an archived review
    >that might help. Or did have last year.

    The normal focus of the 995 is 30cm to inf., and 2cm to inf. in "macro"
    mode, 30cm is not close enough and I suspect that the "macro" is wide
    angle. A friend has the Nikon Coolpix 8800 and the "macro" mode couples
    focus with zoom so that as it focuses closer the angle increases. I
    don't know if this simplifies (cheapens) the lens design or it is done
    to force a larger depth of field to avoid disappointing users.

    Getting the camera new with warranty support is more important than a
    little saving; it's customer support that keeps us in business (and more
    expensive than the competition).

    Prometheus, Aug 18, 2007
  5. Prometheus

    codey45 Guest