    desktop and close it remotely from the laptop, but would settle for
    just closing. Is a remote software the only solution, or is the a
    simple windows method of doing this? thanks.

    lbbss, Dec 1, 2009

  2. lbbss

    Mike Easter Guest

    lbbss wrote:

    Your handle is 'lbss'? I have some suggestions about that. It is
    smarter to have a short handle which is pronouncable or at least easily
    reproducible in whole or in part by a respondant and made of ascii -
    common keyboard - chars. Some people don't seem to understand that, and
    like to make 'cute' or imaginative handles constructed in all sorts of
    juvenile ways. I suppose they would dot their 'i/s' with a heart if
    they could.

    > I share an excel file between my laptop and desktop at home (computers
    > and different floors). so my one excel file is open on the desk
    > top. then I use my laptop and forgot to close the file (the file is
    > saved but not closed).

    I think this means the LT & DT are on the same network and in a mutual
    filesharing condition.

    > any way i can close it from my laptop, so I
    > can then reopen it on my laptop, and eventually save it on my
    > laptop?

    I think this means that the problem you are trying to describe is that
    the file is inaccessible for manipulating by another computer on the
    network when it is still open on the alternate computer.

    > Ideally, I could like to also save the changes made on the
    > desktop and close it remotely from the laptop, but would settle for
    > just closing.

    You are trying to 'work' a file which is open by another application on
    the network without closing it with the application which has it open.
    That's not going to work, as you see.

    > Is a remote software the only solution, or is the a
    > simple windows method of doing this?

    There isn't a simple 'windows' method of doing it - manipulating a file
    which is open in another computer in the network - in the
    condition/manner you describe. There are a number of ways of achieving
    the goals you seek, but you can't be sloppy about it as you describe.

    That is, you don't get to "forgot to close the file" (iterating what you
    said above) -- and then try to do something with it somewhere else on
    the network.

    Or, said another way, "Don't /do/ that." (that way)

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 1, 2009

  3. lbbss

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    lbbss wrote:
    > I share an excel file between my laptop and desktop at home (computers
    > and different floors). so my one excel file is open on the desk
    > top. then I use my laptop and forgot to close the file (the file is
    > saved but not closed). any way i can close it from my laptop, so I
    > can then reopen it on my laptop, and eventually save it on my
    > laptop? Ideally, I could like to also save the changes made on the
    > desktop and close it remotely from the laptop, but would settle for
    > just closing. Is a remote software the only solution, or is the a
    > simple windows method of doing this? thanks.

    www.logmein.com

    Or just walk up the stairs ;-)

    Desk Rabbit, Dec 1, 2009