    close the site. It is happening on all web sites. What is happening and how
    do I fix it?

    pete

    Peter Turtill, Sep 4, 2010

  2. Peter Turtill

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 22:06:58 +0100, "Peter Turtill"
    <> wrote:

    >I am using XP on a computer that is less than 3 months old. Everything was
    >hunky dory until a few days ago when. If I click on the x in the top right
    >hand corner of my screen it take a few seconds before the web page closes.
    >It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar and try to
    >close the site. It is happening on all web sites. What is happening and how
    >do I fix it?
    >
    >pete

    Uh oh. Watch out for Dan C. You will be told you have to format your
    drive. As to closing down your windows, is it all windows such as
    windows explorer or just Internet explorer?
    In the meantime have you checked for errors? Have you tried to search
    google? You could just live with it or if a big pain to you. Try a
    system restore as a last measure. Just don't listen to the trolls.

    joevan, Sep 4, 2010

  3. Peter Turtill

    VanguardLH Guest

    Peter Turtill wrote:

    > If I click on the x in the top right
    > hand corner of my screen

    Did you really mean to say you click on the "X" button at the top right
    corner of some application's WINDOW?

    > it take a few seconds before the web page closes.

    And just what might be the web browser that you did not disclose here?

    > It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar and try to
    > close the site. It is happening on all web sites.

    For IE, use Task Manager's Process tab to ensure that there are no
    instances of iexplore.exe running. Then load IE in its no add-ons mode.
    The will prevent any add-ons that you installed into IE from loading
    when you load IE. Visit a web site and then exit IE to see if the
    problem remains.

    VanguardLH, Sep 4, 2010
  4. "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 22:06:58 +0100, "Peter Turtill"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am using XP on a computer that is less than 3 months old. Everything was
    >>hunky dory until a few days ago when. If I click on the x in the top right
    >>hand corner of my screen it take a few seconds before the web page closes.
    >>It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar and try
    >>close the site. It is happening on all web sites. What is happening and
    >>how
    >>do I fix it?
    >>
    >>pete
    >>

    > Uh oh. Watch out for Dan C. You will be told you have to format your
    > drive. As to closing down your windows, is it all windows such as
    > windows explorer or just Internet explorer?
    > In the meantime have you checked for errors? Have you tried to search
    > google? You could just live with it or if a big pain to you. Try a
    > system restore as a last measure. Just don't listen to the trolls.

    It is only happening on IE? I hadn't realised until you mentioned checking
    that!

    pete

    Peter Turtill, Sep 4, 2010
  5. "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Turtill wrote:
    >
    >> If I click on the x in the top right
    >> hand corner of my screen

    > Did you really mean to say you click on the "X" button at the top right
    > corner of some application's WINDOW?
    >
    >> it take a few seconds before the web page closes.

    > And just what might be the web browser that you did not disclose here?
    >
    >> It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar and try
    >> close the site. It is happening on all web sites.

    > For IE, use Task Manager's Process tab to ensure that there are no
    > instances of iexplore.exe running. Then load IE in its no add-ons mode.
    > The will prevent any add-ons that you installed into IE from loading
    > when you load IE. Visit a web site and then exit IE to see if the
    > problem remains.

    I will try a system restore.

    pete

    Peter Turtill, Sep 4, 2010
  6. Peter Turtill

    VanguardLH Guest

    Peter Turtill wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> Peter Turtill wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I click on the x in the top right
    >>> hand corner of my screen

    >> Did you really mean to say you click on the "X" button at the top right
    >> corner of some application's WINDOW?
    >>
    >>> it take a few seconds before the web page closes.

    >> And just what might be the web browser that you did not disclose here?
    >>
    >>> It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar and try
    >>> close the site. It is happening on all web sites.

    >> For IE, use Task Manager's Process tab to ensure that there are no
    >> instances of iexplore.exe running. Then load IE in its no add-ons mode.
    >> The will prevent any add-ons that you installed into IE from loading
    >> when you load IE. Visit a web site and then exit IE to see if the
    >> problem remains.

    > I will try a system restore.

    No add-ons mode doesn't remove anything. It is a non-destructive test.

    VanguardLH, Sep 4, 2010
  7. Peter Turtill

    chuckcar Guest

    "Peter Turtill" <> wrote in

    > I am using XP on a computer that is less than 3 months old. Everything
    > was hunky dory until a few days ago when. If I click on the x in the
    > top right hand corner of my screen it take a few seconds before the
    > web page closes. It is the same if I right click in the page slot on
    > the task bar and try to close the site. It is happening on all web
    > sites. What is happening and how do I fix it?

    That really depends on whether whatever browser you're using, whatever
    website you're *going* to and whether it's a static website or it
    actually has continual use of system resources like a youtube clip
    playing for example. Don't worry about it. If you're not getting an
    error or if the computer isn't too slow to use.

    Is this your first computer?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 4, 2010
  8. "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Turtill wrote:
    >
    >> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    >>> Did you really mean to say you click on the "X" button at the top right
    >>> corner of some application's WINDOW?

    >>> And just what might be the web browser that you did not disclose here?

    >>> For IE, use Task Manager's Process tab to ensure that there are no
    >>> instances of iexplore.exe running. Then load IE in its no add-ons mode.
    >>> The will prevent any add-ons that you installed into IE from loading
    >>> when you load IE. Visit a web site and then exit IE to see if the
    >>> problem remains.

    >> I will try a system restore.

    > No add-ons mode doesn't remove anything. It is a non-destructive test.

    Many thanks. The restore worked.

    pete

    Peter Turtill, Sep 4, 2010
  9. Peter Turtill

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:06:58 +0100, Peter Turtill wrote:

    > I am using XP on a computer that is less than 3 months old. Everything
    > was hunky dory until a few days ago when. If I click on the x in the top
    > right hand corner of my screen it take a few seconds before the web page
    > closes. It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar
    > and try to close the site. It is happening on all web sites. What is
    > happening and how do I fix it?

    The hard drive is corrupted and needs to be formatted.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he stepped into the acceleration chamber.

    Dan C, Sep 4, 2010
  10. Peter Turtill

    joevan Guest

    On 04 Sep 2010 22:37:28 GMT, Dan C <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:06:58 +0100, Peter Turtill wrote:
    >
    >> I am using XP on a computer that is less than 3 months old. Everything
    >> was hunky dory until a few days ago when. If I click on the x in the top
    >> right hand corner of my screen it take a few seconds before the web page
    >> closes. It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar
    >> and try to close the site. It is happening on all web sites. What is
    >> happening and how do I fix it?

    >The hard drive is corrupted and needs to be formatted.

    Hi, idiot. I already warned him about your stupidity.

    joevan, Sep 5, 2010
  11. Peter Turtill

    Tony Guest

    Chuck is one sick puppy! Yup i recall him nymshifting on can.internet.highspeed
    and alt.free.newsservers. Mopar Parts huh? The only parts Chuck knows about are
    rusted and worn parts in that 1972 Ford Pinto of his.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
    the job for potty mouth,

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 5, 2010
  12. Peter Turtill

    The Watcher Guest

    On 5/09/2010 07:06, Peter Turtill wrote:
    > I am using XP on a computer that is less than 3 months old. Everything was
    > hunky dory until a few days ago when. If I click on the x in the top right
    > hand corner of my screen it take a few seconds before the web page closes.
    > It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar and try to
    > close the site. It is happening on all web sites. What is happening and how
    > do I fix it?
    >
    > pete

    Tell us a little more about your peruter.

    Is it new? Desktop? Laptop? a little netbox?

    The Watcher, Sep 5, 2010
  13. Peter Turtill

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/4/2010 6:05 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On 04 Sep 2010 22:37:28 GMT, Dan C<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:06:58 +0100, Peter Turtill wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am using XP on a computer that is less than 3 months old. Everything
    >>> was hunky dory until a few days ago when. If I click on the x in the top
    >>> right hand corner of my screen it take a few seconds before the web page
    >>> closes. It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar
    >>> and try to close the site. It is happening on all web sites. What is
    >>> happening and how do I fix it?

    >> The hard drive is corrupted and needs to be formatted.

    > Hi, idiot. I already warned him about your stupidity.

    It's because he evolved. <g>

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Sep 5, 2010
  14. Peter Turtill

    Matt Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:06:58 +0100, Peter Turtill wrote:

    > I am using XP on a computer that is less than 3 months old. Everything was
    > hunky dory until a few days ago when. If I click on the x in the top right
    > hand corner of my screen it take a few seconds before the web page closes.
    > It is the same if I right click in the page slot on the task bar and try to
    > close the site. It is happening on all web sites. What is happening and how
    > do I fix it?
    >
    > pete

    Get Safari

    Matt, Sep 5, 2010